Housing estates in OSM

John Levin
Hi,

Is it possible to extract a list of all the housing estates in London
from OSM? Is there a particular tag for estates, or tags for different
types of estates?

I've done searches on, for example, peabody estate, and got some
results, but not every such estate has been tagged so (and I'd like to
contribute these), and I'm not sure how to get a list of places with
co-ordinates out of OSM.

Thanks in advance,

John

--
John Levin
http://www.anterotesis.com

Re: Housing estates in OSM

Clifford Snow

On Mon, Jun 29, 2015 at 7:45 AM, John Levin <[hidden email]> wrote:
Is it possible to extract a list of all the housing estates in London from OSM? Is there a particular tag for estates, or tags for different types of estates?

I've done searches on, for example, peabody estate, and got some results, but not every such estate has been tagged so (and I'd like to contribute these), and I'm not sure how to get a list of places with co-ordinates out of OSM.

Look into overpass-turbo.eu using the wizard to query for estates. The wiki, https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Overpass_turbo has more information. I'm not sure how they would be tagged, but you might get what you want with a regular expression search on any name with the word estate.

Clifford

--
@osm_seattle
OpenStreetMap: Maps with a human touch

Re: Housing estates in OSM

Dan S
Hi John,

As far as I'm aware, there isn't a massively strong consensus about
how to tag housing estates in OSM - and as a result, tagging can vary.

I like to mark a housing estate as an area "landuse=residential" with
a "name" and maybe an "operator" tag:
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:landuse%3Dresidential>
I know others use this too, but in London I also see quite a few
isolated "name" points or named "place=neighbourhood" points, for
example. For discussion about which is the "best" way to tag these
things, discussion would be on the tagging mailinglist.

Here's an overpass query that searches for (landuse=residential or
place=neighbourhood) plus a name:
http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/aaI

Best
Dan

> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to extract a list of all the housing estates in London from
> OSM? Is there a particular tag for estates, or tags for different types of
> estates?
>
> I've done searches on, for example, peabody estate, and got some results,
> but not every such estate has been tagged so (and I'd like to contribute
> these), and I'm not sure how to get a list of places with co-ordinates out
> of OSM.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> John
>
> --
> John Levin
> http://www.anterotesis.com
> http://twitter.com/anterotesis

Re: Housing estates in OSM

Khiew_21
Thanks a lot for sharing this great article! I was looking for such stuff. I need to buy a new home in Arizona and thinking to get it in Luxury Real Estate Dove mountain region. Your guidelines will help me a lot in buying a good home.