How AI applied to HighRes Satellite Imagery can help OSM Mappers?

How AI applied to HighRes Satellite Imagery can help OSM Mappers?

Laura O'Grady
Hi all,

I just spotted this post in the OSM forum from a Facebook staffer named Pierre (link below). It appears they are using AI and machine learning to map rural areas in developing nations using OSM. There was a presentation on this at State of the Map in Seattle.

Does anyone know anything more? Thanks.

http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?id=55220

Laura

-
Laura O'Grady

Re: How AI applied to HighRes Satellite Imagery can help OSM Mappers?

Imre Samu
Hi Laura!

maybe related:

"Skynet Machine Learning with Satellites and OpenStreetMap data | Anand Thakker"
(  Skynet: OSM + satellite imagery + machine learning )

           slide:  http://anand.codes/talks/sotmus-2016/
Train a deep learning net with OpenStreetMap features and satellite imagery.
https://github.com/trailbehind/DeepOSM  ( with a lot of research papers )

Imre

I just spotted this post in the OSM forum from a Facebook staffer named Pierre (link below). It appears they are using AI and machine learning to map rural areas in developing nations using OSM. There was a presentation on this at State of the Map in Seattle.

Does anyone know anything more? Thanks.

http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?id=55220

Laura

-
Laura O'Grady

Re: How AI applied to HighRes Satellite Imagery can help OSM Mappers?

Patrick Doupe
Hi Laura and all,

We are using similar tools to map health at the Arnhold Institute for Global Health. You can clone an early version here.

best,

Patrick

----

On Fri, 5 Aug 2016 at 17:27 Laura O'Grady <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

I just spotted this post in the OSM forum from a Facebook staffer named Pierre (link below). It appears they are using AI and machine learning to map rural areas in developing nations using OSM. There was a presentation on this at State of the Map in Seattle.

Does anyone know anything more? Thanks.

http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?id=55220

Laura

-
Laura O'Grady

Re: How AI applied to HighRes Satellite Imagery can help OSM Mappers?

Laura O'Grady
Hi Patrick et al.,

Thanks. This does seem similar.

This is the link [1] to the presentation from Facebook at SOTM that I'm referring to. For some reason it's not in the YT videos [2] from the conference.

Laura

On Aug 6, 2016, at 12:51 PM, Patrick Doupe <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Clifford Snow

On Sat, Aug 6, 2016 at 2:39 PM, Laura O'Grady <[hidden email]> wrote:
This is the link [1] to the presentation from Facebook at SOTM that I'm referring to. For some reason it's not in the YT videos [2] from the conference.

Unfortunately Facebook did not give us permission to record their talk.

Clifford

--
@osm_seattle
OpenStreetMap: Maps with a human touch

Re: How AI applied to HighRes Satellite Imagery can help OSM Mappers?

joost
I just spotted this post in the OSM forum from a Facebook staffer named Pierre (link below). It appears they are using AI and machine learning to map rural areas in developing nations using OSM. There was a presentation on this at State of the Map in Seattle.
> Does anyone know anything more? Thanks.

Keep in mind that current state of this kind of work might look like vandalism in practice:

Re: How AI applied to HighRes Satellite Imagery can help OSM Mappers?

Autre Planete
Greets! Is it okay to ask if all the people discussing a topic here are volunteers? Thanks in advance, Sympare

On Mon, Aug 8, 2016 at 2:14 PM, joost schouppe <[hidden email]> wrote:
I just spotted this post in the OSM forum from a Facebook staffer named Pierre (link below). It appears they are using AI and machine learning to map rural areas in developing nations using OSM. There was a presentation on this at State of the Map in Seattle.
> Does anyone know anything more? Thanks.

Keep in mind that current state of this kind of work might look like vandalism in practice:

Re: How AI applied to HighRes Satellite Imagery can help OSM Mappers?

Matt Sayler
There was also Anand Thakker's presentation which WAS recorded: