How can I send this view as a link?

Richard llom
Hello,
when searching for an address on www.openstreetmap.org one gets now a
really nice view, see here for example:
http://666kb.com/i/cezsdgzn07n0aap3l.png
(textorstraße 9 Würzburg)

But how can I send this to a friend?

If I click short- or permalink, I only get the map section (with no
marker) where it isn't clear at all which exact address is meant.

This is kind of stupid :-(

cheers
richard

PS:
hope this is the right place.

Re: How can I send this view as a link?

Mike Thompson
Richard,

After you click "permalink" you can copy the URL and send it to the person you want to share it with.

Hope this answers the question.

Mike

On Sun, Jun 16, 2013 at 6:30 AM, Richard llom <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,
when searching for an address on www.openstreetmap.org one gets now a really nice view, see here for example:
http://666kb.com/i/cezsdgzn07n0aap3l.png
(textorstraße 9 Würzburg)

But how can I send this to a friend?

If I click short- or permalink, I only get the map section (with no marker) where it isn't clear at all which exact address is meant.

This is kind of stupid :-(

cheers
richard

PS:
hope this is the right place.

Re: How can I send this view as a link?

St Niklaas

hi just copy and paste should do it too.

Re: How can I send this view as a link?

Andrew Errington
On Sun, 16 Jun 2013 21:30:26 Richard llom wrote:

> Hello,
> when searching for an address on www.openstreetmap.org one gets now a
> really nice view, see here for example:
> http://666kb.com/i/cezsdgzn07n0aap3l.png
> (textorstraße 9 Würzburg)
>
> But how can I send this to a friend?
>
> If I click short- or permalink, I only get the map section (with no
> marker) where it isn't clear at all which exact address is meant.
>
> This is kind of stupid :-(
>
> cheers
> richard
>
> PS:
> hope this is the right place.

Once you click on Permalink, the URL will encode the view you were looking at.
The lat and lon in the URL is the latitude and longitude of the centre of the
view.  If you edit the permalink and change lat to mlat and lon to mlon you
will get a marker at the centre of the view.  You can send the edited

Here's a little more detail:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Marker#Adding_a_Marker

I have proposed a feature like this (adding a 'markerlink' in the same way as
a 'permalink') but it's not always possible to implement everything, or it
takes some time or manpower that is not available.  If we had this feature I
think it would be useful for exactly your situation.

Best wishes,

Andrew

Re: How can I send this view as a link?

Pieren
On Sun, Jun 16, 2013 at 3:52 PM, Andrew Errington <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If you edit the permalink and change lat to mlat and lon to mlon you
> will get a marker at the centre of the view.

If you do this, you get a screen with a marker on the centre of the map:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=49.797114&mlon=9.93469&zoom=18&layers=M

If you want the surrounding building like in your screenshot, you can
click on the search "details", then you arrive here:

Then click on "view way on larger map" and you will see this:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?way=134644148

This works only when the address tags are present on the building
footprint. But you can follow the same method for addresses on nodes
(click on "details" on search result, then "view way/point/relation on
larger map").

Pieren

Am 16.06.2013 15:52, schrieb Andrew Errington:

> On Sun, 16 Jun 2013 21:30:26 Richard llom wrote:
>> when searching for an address on www.openstreetmap.org one gets now a
>> really nice view, see here for example:
>> http://666kb.com/i/cezsdgzn07n0aap3l.png
>> (textorstraße 9 Würzburg)
>>
>> But how can I send this to a friend?
>>

> Once you click on Permalink, the URL will encode the view you were looking at.
> The lat and lon in the URL is the latitude and longitude of the centre of the
> view.  If you edit the permalink and change lat to mlat and lon to mlon you
> will get a marker at the centre of the view.  You can send the edited

OK, thanks thats nice.
But unfortunately it works only with permalink (ie. longlinks). If I add
the marker and choose shortlink in the new window, I still get the view
with no marker at all... :-(

> I have proposed a feature like this (adding a 'markerlink' in the same way as
> a 'permalink') but it's not always possible to implement everything, or it
> takes some time or manpower that is not available.  If we had this feature I
> think it would be useful for exactly your situation.

Yes, please keep proposing. :-)
I miss this feature since a very long time and IMHO this is a very basic
feature...

cheers
richard

Am 17.06.2013 15:52, schrieb Pieren:

> On Sun, Jun 16, 2013 at 3:52 PM, Andrew Errington <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> If you edit the permalink and change lat to mlat and lon to mlon you
>> will get a marker at the centre of the view.
>
> If you do this, you get a screen with a marker on the centre of the map:
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=49.797114&mlon=9.93469&zoom=18&layers=M
>
> If you want the surrounding building like in your screenshot, you can
> click on the search "details", then you arrive here:
>
> Then click on "view way on larger map" and you will see this:
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?way=134644148
>
> This works only when the address tags are present on the building
> footprint. But you can follow the same method for addresses on nodes
> (click on "details" on search result, then "view way/point/relation on
> larger map").

Thanks, thats a good hint.
A little tricky, but the main adv. to mlat hack is that this generates a
quite short link, esp. when used with osm.org, ie.
http://www.osm.org/?way=134644148

cheers
richard

On 19 June 2013 01:35, Richard llom <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 16.06.2013 15:52, schrieb Andrew Errington:
>>
>> On Sun, 16 Jun 2013 21:30:26 Richard llom wrote:
>>>
>>> when searching for an address on www.openstreetmap.org one gets now a
>>> really nice view, see here for example:
>>> http://666kb.com/i/cezsdgzn07n0aap3l.png
>>> (textorstraße 9 Würzburg)
>>>
>>> But how can I send this to a friend?
>>>

>> Once you click on Permalink, the URL will encode the view you were looking
>> at.
>> The lat and lon in the URL is the latitude and longitude of the centre of
>> the
>> view.  If you edit the permalink and change lat to mlat and lon to mlon
>> you
>> will get a marker at the centre of the view.  You can send the edited
>>
> OK, thanks thats nice.
> But unfortunately it works only with permalink (ie. longlinks). If I add the
> marker and choose shortlink in the new window, I still get the view with no
> marker at all... :-(
>

>> I have proposed a feature like this (adding a 'markerlink' in the same way
>> as
>> a 'permalink') but it's not always possible to implement everything, or it
>> takes some time or manpower that is not available.  If we had this feature
>> think it would be useful for exactly your situation.
>>
> Yes, please keep proposing. :-)
> I miss this feature since a very long time and IMHO this is a very basic
> feature...

Another thing you can do is right-click on 'Shortlink' and select
the link text.  This will give you a short link that makes a marker at
the centre of the map view.

It's still cumbersome though.  I think a one-click solution would be better.

Best wishes,

Andrew