How others do it

ANDY ROBINSON-2
Saw the trac ticket #44 about gathering info on how other sites do it.
Thought I would take a closer look at Maporama as it's my favourite
non-slippy map interface.

One of the coolest features for a world maping site like maporama is the
ability to customise the size of the map and the colouring of the data. So
for instance if you live in the UK you can make the map have a UK feel and
similarly in other countries. This would be a much better way of moving OSM
forwards than trying to decide what colours the data should be. Simply let
the colour swatches build on a country by country basis or by allowing users
to define the colours, at least for the major items.

Andy Robinson

Re: How others do it

Tom Carden
> Saw the trac ticket #44 about gathering info on how other sites do it.
> Thought I would take a closer look at Maporama as it's my favourite
> non-slippy map interface.

Great - perhaps start a new page on the wiki, and tabulate your results?

For others, ticket #44 is here:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/trac/ticket/44

(I messed up my unordered list, but you get the idea.)

> One of the coolest features for a world maping site like maporama is the
> ability to customise the size of the map and the colouring of the data. So
> for instance if you live in the UK you can make the map have a UK feel and
> similarly in other countries. This would be a much better way of moving
> OSM
> forwards than trying to decide what colours the data should be. Simply let
> the colour swatches build on a country by country basis or by allowing
> users
> to define the colours, at least for the major items.

Hmm... let the users define the colours...  OpenStreetMap: the myspace of
maps? ;)

Seriously, I think custom colours is an interesting idea, but I think it
will be absolutely vital to get OpenStreetMap's default colour palette
looking respectable and professional.

We don't have to copy the competition on this one, TBH I think that a lot
of online maps look pretty ugly (OSM included, but we're working on it!).

Tom.