How to be more efficient inserting tracks?

How to be more efficient inserting tracks?

Niccolo Rigacci
Hi to everybody!

I uploaded some GPX tracks and played a little with the Java map
editor on the web.
The major troubles i found are:

- The applet is slow on my 2.4 GHz box (Linux, Firefox, SUN Jre)

- If I have some GPX that are already edited and cleaned, can I
upload them directly without the upload and edit steps?

- Is possible to display segments between dots of uploaded tracks
during map editing? I have several tracks recorded on roads with
several roundabouts, sometimes dots resemble simply sparse dots
instead of a track...

I'm interested on routes around Florence, Italy.

Thank you.

--
Niccolo Rigacci
Firenze - Italy

Correte e comprate il vaccino, che in Grecia ? morto un tacchino!
http://www.rigacci.org/spip/article.php3?id_article=46

Re: How to be more efficient inserting tracks?

Tom Carden
On 10/23/05, Niccolo Rigacci <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi to everybody!

I uploaded some GPX tracks and played a little with the Java map
editor on the web.
The major troubles i found are:

- The applet is slow on my 2.4 GHz box (Linux, Firefox, SUN Jre)

Hmm... it shouldn't be, but people keep saying it is, so I believe you :)  I've had some troubles with my laptop recently too.

I'm looking into it, but aside from the issues with how it works by design* I think the only things we can do are limit the console output and optimise some of the drawing.  With JOSM Imi has used a different approach which doesn't require lots of redrawing of images and I'd love to see it as an applet when it's ready...

* I designed the applet the way it is (using Processing) because I wanted lots of flexibility with rendering, and I wanted it to look like a finished map.  It was all about the interactive features - typing into street names, scrolling through multiple sets of GPS data from multiple contributors, animating the progress of an area over time, etc.  But that was probably overkill for the main functions.  That's why it's slow anyway, it's essentially an interactive animation, but that's probably the wrong approach for a drawing tool :(

- If I have some GPX that are already edited and cleaned, can I
upload them directly without the upload and edit steps?

It's not currently possible with the tools I know about, but I know it's how Nick prefers to work so I suspect we will support it in the future.  The issue is what to do if roads already exist - I keep going on about this because I think it's really hard but people keep asking for it.

You can, I think, use HTTP to POST segments to the API.  Perhaps we should write up how to do this with wget or curl, with the proviso that people check what exists in the area before doing it?

- Is possible to display segments between dots of uploaded tracks
during map editing? I have several tracks recorded on roads with
several roundabouts, sometimes dots resemble simply sparse dots
instead of a track...

This should be possible, especially now tracks are cached as images, though personally I'd like to see it as an option - Steve?

I'm interested on routes around Florence, Italy.

So am I, it's a beautiful part of the world :)

Tom.

Re: How to be more efficient inserting tracks?

Immanuel Scholz
G'morning,

> I uploaded some GPX tracks and played a little with the Java map
> editor on the web.
> The major troubles i found are:
>
> - The applet is slow on my 2.4 GHz box (Linux, Firefox, SUN Jre)

Maybe a problem of memory? How much RAM do you have?

How much memory do you allow your Java task to have?
There was an issue with maximum heap memory and java. For stand alone
applications you can increase the memory an java application can access by
passing -Xmx2048MB as command line parameter (increase up to 2GB).
I don't know whether this is still a problem for newer Java versions or
how to do this for applets..

> - If I have some GPX that are already edited and cleaned, can I
> upload them directly without the upload and edit steps?

I push hard to release a JOSM version this week (I am off for holiday the
whole next month). With this you will be able to upload whole gpx files to
the server.

> - Is possible to display segments between dots of uploaded tracks
> during map editing? I have several tracks recorded on roads with
> several roundabouts, sometimes dots resemble simply sparse dots
> instead of a track...

Again, may I advertise JOSM? ;-). There is a preferences setting of doing
things like this:

If you import your raw gps data as gpx and have track segment information
from your GPS device, you can just display these segments. If you don't
get track segment information from your GPS device but a list of points,
you can force drawing of lines, assuming that the points in the dataset
loaded is in the correct order.

However, there seems no way of drawing lines between gps points obtained
from the OSM server, since they come in arbitrary order without line
information.

Ciao, Imi.

Re: How to be more efficient inserting tracks?

frank mohr
Immanuel Scholz wrote:

> Again, may I advertise JOSM? ;-). There is a preferences setting of doing
> things like this:
>
> If you import your raw gps data as gpx and have track segment information
> from your GPS device, you can just display these segments. If you don't
> get track segment information from your GPS device but a list of points,
> you can force drawing of lines, assuming that the points in the dataset
> loaded is in the correct order.
>
> However, there seems no way of drawing lines between gps points obtained
> from the OSM server, since they come in arbitrary order without line
> information.

the old XMLRPC interface returned uploaded waypoints with
user and timestamp information
with those informations it was possible to recreate
the original tracks

the new REST interface for "Uploaded Points" seems to return only the
raw lat/lon information
Shouldn't we change this? maybe something like
  <trkpt lon='-0.20506667' lat='51.495342' id='1234'/>
with an request that returns the full information
(or for privacy reasons only track-id and order)
for a list of trpkpt id's

frank

Re: How to be more efficient inserting tracks?

Immanuel Scholz
Hi,

> the new REST interface for "Uploaded Points" seems to return only the
> raw lat/lon information
> Shouldn't we change this? maybe something like
>   <trkpt lon='-0.20506667' lat='51.495342' id='1234'/>
> with an request that returns the full information
> (or for privacy reasons only track-id and order)
> for a list of trpkpt id's

Well, this is not legal gpx.

We could do this by something like:
or use an own transport format (as already suggested somewhere in Wiki ;).

However, doing single requests for every track point one after another
will surely blow up the server. So better transfer the correct order in
the first place.

GPX does not restrict the order the points are transfered. So

1. Order them in the way they were uploaded inside one page.
2. do not transfer a static amount of 5000 points per page but one upload
track file per page.

could do the trick as well..

However all this feels like stretching the gpx-format to its legal limit,
bypassing the spirit of gpx... I'd always try to use things for what they
are made for. So using gpx's own structures for passing tracks would be
best, IMHO. Why using some additional interpration when all things we need
already there?

<!-- first uploaded raw gps data file -->
<trk>
  <trkseg>
    <trkpt lat="..." lon="..." />
    <trkpt lat="..." lon="..." />
    <trkpt lat="..." lon="..." />
    <trkpt lat="..." lon="..." />
  </trkseg>
</trk>

<!-- next uploaded raw gps data file -->
<trk>
  <trkseg>
    <trkpt lat="..." lon="..." />
    <trkpt lat="..." lon="..." />
    <trkpt lat="..." lon="..." />
  </trkseg>
</trk>

This would enable users to show the gpx on a normal, gpx viewer not made
for OSM.

Uhm, shouldn't we switch to osm-dev for the boring technical details? :)

Ciao, Imi.