How to create the bounds for europe ?

toc-rox
In germany we have done some optimication concerning the index search.
We have changed a lot of the admin_level names.
In order to benefit from this changes I have tried to create the europe bounds.
But this wasn't successful - I have tried it with mkgmap r2164

First try (Windows 7):
java -Xmx7000M -jar ./tools/mkgmap/mkgmap.jar --createboundsfile=europe.osm.pbf --bounds=europebounds
-> out of memory exception

Second try (by Georg V., Linux):
georg@unixserver:/mnt/sdd$ java -Xmx15000M -jar ~/Projekt/Europa/mkgmap-r2164/mkgmap.jar --createboundsfile=europe.osm.pbf --bounds=europebounds
-> no result, killed after 12 hours

Questions:
What could be the problem (e.g. usage incorrect) ?
What are the resource requirements for the creation process ?

Regards - Klaus

Re: How to create the bounds for europe ?

WanMil
Hi Klaus,

please read this wiki article:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mkgmap/help/options#Using_precompiled_bounds_for_the_address_index

Using the unfiltered europe dump will require tons of GB memory...

WanMil

> In germany we have done some optimication concerning the index search.
> We have changed a lot of the admin_level names.
> In order to benefit from this changes I have tried to create the europe
> bounds.
> But this wasn't successful - I have tried it with mkgmap r2164
>
> First try (Windows 7):
> java -Xmx7000M -jar ./tools/mkgmap/mkgmap.jar
> --createboundsfile=europe.osm.pbf --bounds=europebounds
> ->  out of memory exception
>
> Second try (by Georg V., Linux):
> georg@unixserver:/mnt/sdd$ java -Xmx15000M -jar
> ~/Projekt/Europa/mkgmap-r2164/mkgmap.jar --createboundsfile=europe.osm.pbf
> --bounds=europebounds
> ->  no result, killed after 12 hours
>
> Questions:
> What could be the problem (e.g. usage incorrect) ?
> What are the resource requirements for the creation process ?
>
> Regards - Klaus

Re: How to create the bounds for europe ?

toc-rox
OK - this workflow was successful:

Step 1:
osmconvert europe.osm.pbf --out-o5m >europe.o5m

Step 2:
osmfilter europe.o5m --keep-nodes= --keep-ways-relations="boundary=administrative"  >europe-boundaries.osm

Step 3:
java -Xmx2500M -jar mkgmap.jar --createboundsfile=europe-boundaries.osm --bounds=europebounds

Klaus

Re: How to create the bounds for europe ?

WanMil
Klaus,

that's fine. I noticed that the parameters for osmfilter described in
the wiki did not include postalcode information. I've updated the wiki.
So if you require postal codes please reload the wiki page.

Please keep also in mind that the europe extract from geofabrik did not
include the african areas of Spain some months ago. I don't know if
that's still the case but it is possible the complete country
information of spain is missing therefore.

WanMil

> OK - this workflow was successful:
>
> Step 1:
> osmconvert europe.osm.pbf --out-o5m>europe.o5m
>
> Step 2:
> osmfilter europe.o5m --keep-nodes=
> --keep-ways-relations="boundary=administrative">europe-boundaries.osm
>
> Step 3:
> java -Xmx2500M -jar mkgmap.jar --createboundsfile=europe-boundaries.osm
> --bounds=europebounds
>
> Klaus

Re: How to create the bounds for europe ?

Thorsten Kukuk
On Sun, Jan 08, WanMil wrote:

> that's fine. I noticed that the parameters for osmfilter described in
> the wiki did not include postalcode information. I've updated the wiki.
> So if you require postal codes please reload the wiki page.

While it is no problem to generate the europe bounds files as described
on the wiki page, I always run out of memory for the world files.

Does somebody know how much memory is necessary?

 Thanks,
    Thorsten

Re: How to create the bounds for europe ?

railrun
Hello,

short question:
Is the parameter "postal_code=" correct? I think this will extend the osm-file unnecessarily. We only want to get the postal_code&admin_level-boundaries, or? With this option we also get every street&building with a postal_code-key.

Am 20.01.2012 um 17:55 schrieb Thorsten Kukuk:

> On Sun, Jan 08, WanMil wrote:
>
>> that's fine. I noticed that the parameters for osmfilter described in
>> the wiki did not include postalcode information. I've updated the wiki.
>> So if you require postal codes please reload the wiki page.
>
> While it is no problem to generate the europe bounds files as described
> on the wiki page, I always run out of memory for the world files.
>
> Does somebody know how much memory is necessary?
>
> Thanks,
>    Thorsten
>
> --
> Thorsten Kukuk, Project Manager/Release Manager SLES
> SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, D-90409 Nuernberg
> GF: Jeff Hawn, Jennifer Guild, Felix Imendörffer, HRB 16746 (AG Nürnberg)

Re: How to create the bounds for europe ?

WanMil
Hi Martin,

I tried to answer that before (you send me the same question off list)
but your email account does not seem to be valid. All emails returned...

Unfortunately there is no very common tagging system for postal_codes.
The postal_code multipolygons are used mostly in Germany but only in
very rare cases in other countries. This info is some months old so that
might have been changed.
Zip codes are not very well supported by our knowledge of the garmin
format so I didn't invest much time to investigate the best combination
of parameters.
So maybe some of you can evalute which osmfilter parameters give best
results.

WanMil

> Hello,
>
> short question:
> Is the parameter "postal_code=" correct? I think this will extend the osm-file unnecessarily. We only want to get the postal_code&admin_level-boundaries, or? With this option we also get every street&building with a postal_code-key.
>
> Cheers,
> Martin
>
> Am 20.01.2012 um 17:55 schrieb Thorsten Kukuk:
>
>> On Sun, Jan 08, WanMil wrote:
>>
>>> that's fine. I noticed that the parameters for osmfilter described in
>>> the wiki did not include postalcode information. I've updated the wiki.
>>> So if you require postal codes please reload the wiki page.
>>
>> While it is no problem to generate the europe bounds files as described
>> on the wiki page, I always run out of memory for the world files.
>>
>> Does somebody know how much memory is necessary?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>     Thorsten
>>
>> --
>> Thorsten Kukuk, Project Manager/Release Manager SLES
>> SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, D-90409 Nuernberg
>> GF: Jeff Hawn, Jennifer Guild, Felix Imendörffer, HRB 16746 (AG Nürnberg)

Re: How to create the bounds for europe ?

WanMil
> On Sun, Jan 08, WanMil wrote:
>
>> that's fine. I noticed that the parameters for osmfilter described in
>> the wiki did not include postalcode information. I've updated the wiki.
>> So if you require postal codes please reload the wiki page.
>
> While it is no problem to generate the europe bounds files as described
> on the wiki page, I always run out of memory for the world files.
>
> Does somebody know how much memory is necessary?
>
>   Thanks,
>      Thorsten

Hi Thorsten,

I don't know how. But you don't need to create the bounds from a world file.
It is possible to create the bounds for several overlapping subareas and
to merge the bounds files afterwards. The areas must be selected in such
a way that each country is completely contained at least in one subarea.
Usually I am compiling 5 subareas: europe, africa, america, asia and
australia-oceania.

After you have the bounds files of your subareas you can merge them
using the command:
java -cp mkgmap.jar
uk.me.parabola.mkgmap.reader.osm.boundary.BoundaryMerger <bounds1>
<bounds2> <merge>
where the parameters in <> are directories. So in the upper command the
dir bounds1 and bounds2 are merged together in directory merge.

WanMil