How to fully cover a grid square.

miiick@yahoo.com.au
Dear everybody,

I am looking for suggestions on how different people ensure that they
have looked at the entire contents of a mapping square.  e.g. How do you
ensure you have looked at the whole square and found all buildings.

At the moment I do a lot of panning and zooming and cover a square in a
fairly random manner.  I would like to have more structured method to
ensure I have covered a square.  Something like a transparent grid
overlay for JOSM.  I know that a task can be split and I have done that
to a few squares but have also worked on larger squares.

I am using JOSM and am able to figure out how to use all of the
functions, sometimes I just don't know what function I am looking for.

Thanks,
Michael.

Re: How to fully cover a grid square.

Tom Taylor-2
I created a grid as a separate data layer using JOSM and saved it to my
computer. I pull it in when I need it. The grid interval is based on my
preferred zoom level.

Tom Taylor
TomT5454

On 12/05/2015 7:45 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Dear everybody,
>
> I am looking for suggestions on how different people ensure that they
> have looked at the entire contents of a mapping square.  e.g. How do you
> ensure you have looked at the whole square and found all buildings.
>
> At the moment I do a lot of panning and zooming and cover a square in a
> fairly random manner.  I would like to have more structured method to
> ensure I have covered a square.  Something like a transparent grid
> overlay for JOSM.  I know that a task can be split and I have done that
> to a few squares but have also worked on larger squares.
>
> I am using JOSM and am able to figure out how to use all of the
> functions, sometimes I just don't know what function I am looking for.
>
> Thanks,
> Michael.

Re: How to fully cover a grid square.

Tom McDonald
Simliar to John, but at 30m. I find using a consistent zoom level helps you notice buildings since they will be a consistent size. Thanks John for the <ctrl>. I had been using mouse with constant check to the latitude ;-)

For finding buildings, I find it really useful to have a filter building=*, with Hide, and toggle it on/off after I think I have all the buildings in a village. Ones you have missed really show up with the rectangles gone.

Tom

On Tue, May 12, 2015 at 4:45 AM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear everybody,

I am looking for suggestions on how different people ensure that they have looked at the entire contents of a mapping square.  e.g. How do you ensure you have looked at the whole square and found all buildings.

At the moment I do a lot of panning and zooming and cover a square in a fairly random manner.  I would like to have more structured method to ensure I have covered a square.  Something like a transparent grid overlay for JOSM.  I know that a task can be split and I have done that to a few squares but have also worked on larger squares.

I am using JOSM and am able to figure out how to use all of the functions, sometimes I just don't know what function I am looking for.

Thanks,
Michael.

Re: How to fully cover a grid square.

Steve Bower
Like John & Tom, in JOSM I set the scale bar to 30m, then use Ctrl-Up and Ctrl-Down to move systematically down & up columns. After zooming in to work on an area use use "zoom to previous" (8 key) multiple times to get back to my 30m scale, then continue up or down the column.

But a grid background at 30m scale that fits my monitor would be sweet.

On Tue, May 12, 2015 at 5:16 PM, Tom McDonald <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Pat Tressel
Some while back, I suggested writing a JOSM plugin to help make sure one has seen the entire task area.  Without going into details, the idea was to split the task into a grid with cells (subtasks) just slightly smaller than the viewport at the user's chosen zoom level.  When user is satisfied with their work in a subtask, they mark it as done and step to the next (e.g. using the normal navigation keys).  The user could move out of the subtask without marking the task as finished if they want to chase a long feature, then snap back to where the subtask they were working on.

I got sidetracked onto other projects.  One of those will end in two weeks, so there might be a window there,.  Is anyone interested in collaborating on this?  I've worked on Java desktop applications that involve graphics and drawing (for telemedicine and digitization of ultrasound images), but have not done more than peek at JOSM.  The collaboration might just mean nudzing me about it, but if you've worked on a JOSM plugin (hi, Andrew), this would be a good cause.  ;-)

-- Pat

Re: How to fully cover a grid square.

Suzan Reed

I agree. A grid in both JOSM and ID would be a big help. With numbers and or letters to navigate.

Suzan

Sent with AquaMail for Android
http://www.aqua-mail.com

On May 12, 2015 6:36:35 PM Steve Bower <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Henning Bolz
I'm using the same "down & up column" approach to cover a tile, mostly to find buildings, but this is the last step in the workflow.

Usually, I start walking around the edges of the tile looking for all connections of streets to the neighbouring tiles. This is easier done with iD, because you have to load additional data in JOSM outside your tile to find them.
Starting from the major highways, i then try to finish the complete street network inside the tile by following all junctions to their end and back. The same for the waterways. In most cases, this will give you also the largest settlements.

The very last steps are road hierarchy, tagging of settlements, looking for errors using JOSM.

These methods have been described before by others on this mailing list. Maybe some native speaker could collect them and put in the wiki ?!?

Cheers
Henning (aka hebolz)

Betreff: Re: [HOT] How to fully cover a grid square.

On Tue, May 12, 2015 at 4:45 AM, miiick@... <miiick@...> wrote:
Dear everybody,

I am looking for suggestions on how different people ensure that they have looked at the entire contents of a mapping square.  e.g. How do you ensure you have looked at the whole square and found all buildings.

At the moment I do a lot of panning and zooming and cover a square in a fairly random manner.  I would like to have more structured method to ensure I have covered a square.  Something like a transparent grid overlay for JOSM.  I know that a task can be split and I have done that to a few squares but have also worked on larger squares.

I am using JOSM and am able to figure out how to use all of the functions, sometimes I just don't know what function I am looking for.

Thanks,
Michael.

Re: How to fully cover a grid square.

Blake Girardot
I have been looking for something like an adjustable grid for a while.

Adjustable because sometimes I am doing scanning at different zoom
levels depending on the features I am looking for.

Java is the one language I just never even got a toe hold on, I can
barely get the development stack going.

Thank you for thinking about it.

Cheers,
Blake

On 5/13/2015 8:07 AM, Pat Tressel wrote:

> Some while back, I suggested writing a JOSM plugin to help make sure one
> has seen the entire task area.  Without going into details, the idea was
> to split the task into a grid with cells (subtasks) just slightly
> smaller than the viewport at the user's chosen zoom level.  When user is
> satisfied with their work in a subtask, they mark it as done and step to
> the next (e.g. using the normal navigation keys).  The user could move
> out of the subtask without marking the task as finished if they want to
> chase a long feature, then snap back to where the subtask they were
> working on.
>
> I got sidetracked onto other projects.  One of those will end in two
> weeks, so there might be a window there,.  Is anyone interested in
> collaborating on this?  I've worked on Java desktop applications that
> involve graphics and drawing (for telemedicine and digitization of
> ultrasound images), but have not done more than peek at JOSM.  The
> collaboration might just mean nudzing me about it, but if you've worked
> on a JOSM plugin (hi, Andrew), this would be a good cause.  ;-)
>
> -- Pat

Re: How to fully cover a grid square.

Suzan Reed
Pat,

I would find useful:
  • A grid that doesn't change gps coordinates as I change zoom levels (50ft, 150ft, 300ft, 500ft).
  • Something that can be easily turned on and off (keyboard shortcut?)
  • Lines one pixel wide, very subtle, in a contrasting color, possibly magenta (#FF00FF)).
  • Numbers on one edge alphabet on the other.
    • similar the printed maps in my car.
    • in BoldFace Helvetica or Verdana 13 to 15 pt.
    • in color making it easy to find an exact place.
  • Nothing too fancy.
  • In both ID and JSOM.
Hope this suggestion helps.
Suzan

On May 12, 2015, at 11:07 PM, Pat Tressel wrote:

[...]

Pete Masters
I ran a small mapathon at the MSF office at which we were doing task 993. This is a vast area and a lot of the squares have not a lot in them. As these were beginners, they were all using iD. They felt very comfortable using the arrows to scroll through the squares, so that their scanning was systematic. However, it is extremely slow - much slower than needed for this task anyway.

Has anyone thought about a keyboard commend that moves the imagery, data etc one screen (width / height) in whatever direction is pressed? I'm estimating, but I think this would make new users two or three times as fast in this kind of task.

One of the beginners also suggested that once a section of the task has been viewed (i.e. has been on screen), it could then be overlaid with a semi opaque colour, that could toggled on and off. Meaning that when a user finishes,  they could zoom out to make sure they have covered the entire task.

Missing Maps has a vested interest in this as, to map large scale areas with lots of new mappers, we want them to be mapping as efficiently as possible. If we can double the area they can scan in any given minute, that's a big win for us.

I'm not sure how to pursue these ideas (and the others on this thread) further. If anyone has advice, please send it my way.

Pete

On Thu, May 14, 2015 at 12:13 AM, Suzan Reed <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Missing Maps Project Coordinator
+44 7921 781 518

missingmaps.org

Re: How to fully cover a grid square.

Blake Girardot
Hi Pete,

I have really wanted something like has been discussed in this thread
for a while now.

Your opaque indicator of reviewed areas reminds me of an idea we had for
a JOSM plugin to help with these scanning type mapping tasks:

One of those overhead "spotlights" that follows you around and "exposes"
land by illuminating the areas you have "walked" through like in an
online mmorpg game. So you could easily see where you have already been
because that was lit up and the darker areas around you needed more
"exploring" to get revealed.

Just a nutty idea AndrewB, Zverik and I kicked around a few months
(year?) ago to make mapping a little more fun, interactive, exploratory
and thorough.

Cheers,
Blake