How to insert a culvert?

Tom Taylor-2
I'm going crazy trying to add waterways. Naturally they won't validate
where they pass under highways. If I add a culvert I can't seem to
persuade the validator that the water is running through it.

So how to do it?

Tom Taylor

Re: How to insert a culvert?

SomeoneElse
Tom Taylor wrote:
> I'm going crazy trying to add waterways. Naturally they won't validate
> where they pass under highways. If I add a culvert I can't seem to
> persuade the validator that the water is running through it.

Perhaps you could share a link to the item concerned so that we can see
what it's tagged as?

One other thing - there are a few "culvert" questions on the help site:
https://help.openstreetmap.org/search/?q=culvert&Submit=Search&t=question

So (if you haven't seen those already) some of those answers may be of
assistance.

Cheers,
Andy

Re: How to insert a culvert?

Jo-2
Give them a layer tag that is lower than the layer tag of the highway. You probably want layer=-1, where you add tunnel=culvert. No layer tag stands for layer=0.

Polyglot

2012/11/29 Tom Taylor <[hidden email]>
I'm going crazy trying to add waterways. Naturally they won't validate where they pass under highways. If I add a culvert I can't seem to persuade the validator that the water is running through it.

So how to do it?

Tom Taylor

Re: How to insert a culvert?

Cartinus
On 11/29/2012 10:10 PM, Tom Taylor wrote:
> If I add a culvert I can't seem to
> persuade the validator that the water is running through it.

What tags are you using for the culvert?
What is the exact error message?
What are you using to validate?

--
---
m.v.g.,

Re: How to insert a culvert?

Tom Taylor-2
Thank you all for your answers.

Adding a level tag seemed to be the missing element. The warnings were
coming from the default validator in JOSM. I select the stream and the
road and click on Validation in the Validation Results dialogue. I get
the warning: "Crossing waterway/highway".

 From your various responses and the "Tunnel" Wiki entry I pieced
together the following procedure that seems to work:

1. Add nodes to the waterway at the ends of the culvert.

2. Split the (water)way between those nodes.

3. Add the tag tunnel=culvert to the middle way segment.

4. Add the tag layer=-1 to that middle way segment.