How to label maps generated by mkgmap -r3742

Re: How to label maps generated by mkgmap -r3742

greg crago
So if ALWAYS use --gmapsupp and template.args, should all of my options be listed AFTER template.args and BEFORE --gmapsupp?
Example :
c template.args master_thin.txt <<OPTIONS>> --gmapsupp

On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 8:33 AM, Gerd Petermann <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Greg,

options.txt groups options by meaning. The order of options is important in that way that you can do something like this:
java -jar mkgmap.jar --style=s1 1234*.osm.pbf  --description=2nd_style --style=s2 1235*.osm.pbf
For the files 1234*.osm.pbf the style s1 is used and option  description is "not visible", for the files 1235*.osm.pbf the style s2 is used
and description is "2nd_style".
This concept is broken when it comes to options like "index","gmapsupp", "tdbfile", and others which are always processed after
the *.pbf files so that they always "see" the last setting of an option.
I hope that makes it clearer?

The file template.args is just a generated file which uses these rules, you can create your own file as well.
I'll think about a hint reg. template.args.

Gerd

Re: How to label maps generated by mkgmap -r3742

Gerd Petermann
No, most options are relevant for the files listed in template.args, therefore you'd want to have them in effect
before that file is processed.

Gerd

On Mon, Jan 9, 2017 at 10:49 PM, Gerd Petermann <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]><mailto:[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>> wrote:
The java code shows that the options area-name and mapset-name are evaluated.
The latter one doesn't appear in the help file, so it is an undocumented
option and
you can only use it with --x-mapeset-name=blabla

GMapTool shows the value, but I did not try where it appears on the device
or what effect it has.

Gerd

greg crago wrote

> Thank you.
>
> java ... mkgmap.jar ... -c template.args master_thin.txt --description=XYZ
> --gmapsupp
>
> Worked on BaseCamp and on Garmin GPS.
>
> The only thing that would be nice would be a FAMILY description on the
> GPS.
> Right now, Garmin City Navigator Shows a MAPNAME and in a smaller font
> another name (family name?)

Re: How to label maps generated by mkgmap -r3742

rheinskipper1000

Here is a screenshot how labels are displayed on my GPS:

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AtxQMXNLLc7Qjh829LBQubFgj3Q7

How can I set this map version number?

I want to make sure I understand how the ORDER of the OPTIONS are to used.

I was using the "options.txt" file to determine the order of the options. Is that correct?

Why exactly did you recommend putting the --description AFTER the -c template.args option?

Can you add a note to "options.txt" and using SPLTTER (template.args) OVERWRITES --mapname, --description, and --input-file?

I have --area-name and I cannot see it anywhere in BaseCamp or my GPS.

I used --x-mapeset-name=blabla and I cannot see it anywhere in BaseCamp or my GPS.

Greg

On Mon, Jan 9, 2017 at 10:49 PM, Gerd Petermann <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

The java code shows that the options area-name and mapset-name are evaluated.

The latter one doesn't appear in the help file, so it is an undocumented

option and

you can only use it with --x-mapeset-name=blabla

GMapTool shows the value, but I did not try where it appears on the device

or what effect it has.

Gerd

greg crago wrote

> Thank you.

> java ... mkgmap.jar ... -c template.args master_thin.txt --description=XYZ

> --gmapsupp

> Worked on BaseCamp and on Garmin GPS.

> The only thing that would be nice would be a FAMILY description on the

> GPS.

> Right now, Garmin City Navigator Shows a MAPNAME and in a smaller font

> another name (family name?)

Re: How to label maps generated by mkgmap -r3742

popej
Hi,

I think this version comes from img header. You can set it with
GMapTool, like in this example, only here fields for version are empty:
http://www.gmaptool.eu/en/content/map-visible-basecamp

--
Best regards,
Andrzej

Re: How to label maps generated by mkgmap -r3742

greg crago
If you use SPLITTER before using mkgap, this command should put the version # in same text as MAPNAME

java -ea -Xmx1024M -jar \MKGMAP\mkgmap-r3742\mkgmap-r3742\mkgmap.jar --family-id=111 --family-name="xxx" --product-id=3 --series-name="yyy" --area-name="My_maps" --x-mapset-name=zzz - --latin1 --index --x-split-name-index --bounds=\MKGMAP\bounds.zip --location-autofill=bounds,is_in,nearest --housenumbers --overview-mapname=WW-ov --overview-mapnumber=44444444  --generate-sea=extend-sea-sectors,multipolygon,floodblocker,close-gaps=6000 --make-poi-index --process-destination --process-exits --tdbfile --poi-address --verbose -c template.args master_thin.txt --description="OPENSEAMAP version X" --gmapsupp

Look at --description option AFTER template.args

On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 7:04 AM, Andrzej Popowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I think this version comes from img header. You can set it with GMapTool, like in this example, only here fields for version are empty:
http://www.gmaptool.eu/en/content/map-visible-basecamp

--
Best regards,
Andrzej

Re: How to label maps generated by mkgmap -r3742

rheinskipper1000

Changing version number in header with GMapTool did it. They were empty in my map.

Does this mean there is no way to fill this field using a mkgmap option? Postprocessing every map manually with GMapTool is not very convenient.

Re: How to label maps generated by mkgmap -r3742

popej
Hi,

there is command line version of GMapTool too. You can run it in a batch
like this:
 >gmt.exe -w -c 1.02 gmapsupp.img

Map version is in bytes 8-9 of the header. Support in mkgmap could be
added as easy as option --hide-gmapsupp-on-pc. Only pitfall is
processing values like 1.1, which can mean 1.10 or 1.01.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej

Re: How to label maps generated by mkgmap -r3742

Carlos Dávila-2
El 11/01/17 a las 21:12, Andrzej Popowski escribió:

> Hi,
>
> there is command line version of GMapTool too. You can run it in a
> batch like this:
> >gmt.exe -w -c 1.02 gmapsupp.img
>
> Map version is in bytes 8-9 of the header. Support in mkgmap could be
> added as easy as option --hide-gmapsupp-on-pc. Only pitfall is
> processing values like 1.1, which can mean 1.10 or 1.01.

Isn't --product-version the option you are looking for?

Re: How to label maps generated by mkgmap -r3742

rheinskipper1000

I tried –product-version=17 but my GPS still displays v0.00.

Isn't --product-version the option you are looking for?

Re: How to label maps generated by mkgmap -r3742

Gerd Petermann
Hi Andrzej,

okay, if I got that right this version is in the header of each img file.
I first thought that I should write the value of --product-version, but that
seems to have a different meaning. So, do we need a new option like
--img-header-version=x.y
where x is major version byte and y is minor version byte ?
Or maybe --map-version ?

The help from gmt.exe is not very clear about the meaning:
-c - map version, mapsource flag, product code in header

What would be the product-code?

Gerd
there is command line version of GMapTool too. You can run it in a batch
like this:
 >gmt.exe -w -c 1.02 gmapsupp.img

Map version is in bytes 8-9 of the header. Support in mkgmap could be
added as easy as option --hide-gmapsupp-on-pc. Only pitfall is
processing values like 1.1, which can mean 1.10 or 1.01.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej

Re: How to label maps generated by mkgmap -r3742

popej
Hi Gerd,

product code is a code assigned by Garmin. I think all Garmin products
get a code. For example nuvi 3760 is "006-B1101-00", City Navigator
Europe is "006-D2755-xx", where xx is release number.

Product code is placed in bytes 0x30-0x39 of header. It is encoded as a
string of 6-bit characters, probably computed as: ASCII code - 0x20.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej