How to map a sliding section of the Alaska Pipeline

How to map a sliding section of the Alaska Pipeline

Michael Patrick
> ... There is a short section of the Trans-Alaska pipeline that crosses a well-known fault line where it is attached to slides to allow lateral movement in case of an earthquake. I split the pipeline way and added a note to the section but that probably isn't visible to most data consumers. Any ideas?

OMG, Thank You Dave!

I love ontological edge cases -  and this is certainly good one. :-)

I'd add something like "Deliberate Operator Movement" or "Directed Movement" or some such to my description. These sort of joints are quite common once one is cued to notice them.

A friend of mine pointed on that a clear distinction was the pure unidirectional ( along one path ) of rail-lines, whether it's road trains, maglevs, or rail roads. There's no up/down or side ways component except through a split, curve, or join in the track, where in the case of a movable gantry there is usually a lifting, rotating, or conveying occurring in addition to along the track axis. And as an additional note, regardless of the type of point of contact ( rail, tire, magnetic ) the term for what directs the travel is a 'track' ( unfortunately already occupied by the road term ).

> If it is moveable it is a gantry crane.  A gantry per se can be immobile, right?

The immobile case ( like the fixed support for signs ) isn't that common, as far as I could tell - in the sign case, the immobile case was more commonly more simply called a 'bridge', probably because the spanning part on even movable gantries and cranes is called a bridge.

> Maybe not a rail line in the conventional sense, but I tagged an (unfortunately disused) children's train in Ashgabat https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/429019713 as a railway even though it goes around and around, or used to, and has no destination.

Another excellent case. Although it might be said t the origin and destination merely have the same location, and differ along time and direction path, , and as I noted, it's primary feature is as a conveyance, not 'positioning' something for an action. Here the 'rails are rails' in two uses ( http://www.davidheyscollection.com/userimages/0001-dh-thornaby-roundhouse.jpg ), but only one is the 'conventional sense' of a rail line - the other rail is for positioning.

Michael Patrick

Re: How to map a sliding section of the Alaska Pipeline

AlaskaDave
Michael,
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm on the road so can't reply in detail but I'll get back to you and the list before long.

Dave

On Sun, Nov 25, 2018 at 5:17 PM Michael Patrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
> ... There is a short section of the Trans-Alaska pipeline that crosses a well-known fault line where it is attached to slides to allow lateral movement in case of an earthquake. I split the pipeline way and added a note to the section but that probably isn't visible to most data consumers. Any ideas?

OMG, Thank You Dave!

I love ontological edge cases -  and this is certainly good one. :-)

I'd add something like "Deliberate Operator Movement" or "Directed Movement" or some such to my description. These sort of joints are quite common once one is cued to notice them.

A friend of mine pointed on that a clear distinction was the pure unidirectional ( along one path ) of rail-lines, whether it's road trains, maglevs, or rail roads. There's no up/down or side ways component except through a split, curve, or join in the track, where in the case of a movable gantry there is usually a lifting, rotating, or conveying occurring in addition to along the track axis. And as an additional note, regardless of the type of point of contact ( rail, tire, magnetic ) the term for what directs the travel is a 'track' ( unfortunately already occupied by the road term ).

> If it is moveable it is a gantry crane.  A gantry per se can be immobile, right?

The immobile case ( like the fixed support for signs ) isn't that common, as far as I could tell - in the sign case, the immobile case was more commonly more simply called a 'bridge', probably because the spanning part on even movable gantries and cranes is called a bridge.

> Maybe not a rail line in the conventional sense, but I tagged an (unfortunately disused) children's train in Ashgabat https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/429019713 as a railway even though it goes around and around, or used to, and has no destination.

Another excellent case. Although it might be said t the origin and destination merely have the same location, and differ along time and direction path, , and as I noted, it's primary feature is as a conveyance, not 'positioning' something for an action. Here the 'rails are rails' in two uses ( http://www.davidheyscollection.com/userimages/0001-dh-thornaby-roundhouse.jpg ), but only one is the 'conventional sense' of a rail line - the other rail is for positioning.

Michael Patrick

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska
Chiang Mai, Thailand