How to map an OpenStreetMap map?

ebel
In OSM, large map boards can be mapped as `tourist=information,information=map`. OSM is
pretty good quality, so now some of these maps are based on OSM data.

Is there anyway to record this in OSM?

IMO, you don't need a reason to map something, but one benefit is to help people promote OSM. If someone thinks you have a weird hobby with this map thing, and you bring them to big map showing our map, then that's pretty cool.

The `map_type` and `map_size` tags are used on these sort of maps. Do yous think `map_source=openstreetmap` is a good tag?
The long standing OSM convention of semicolons can be used if there's more than one source.

Re: How to map an OpenStreetMap map?

Tagging mailing list

29 Feb 2020, 11:58 by [hidden email]:
 Do yous think `map_source=openstreetmap` is a good tag?
Yes, though I think that posting
the same thread to tagging and talk ml
is a poor idea.

Re: How to map an OpenStreetMap map?

Warin
On 29/2/20 11:30 pm, Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging wrote:

29 Feb 2020, 11:58 by [hidden email]:
 Do yous think `map_source=openstreetmap` is a good tag?
Yes, though I think that posting
the same thread to tagging and talk ml
is a poor idea.

I think source_map=* or source:map=* would be better as that can also be used for other specific 'sources'.

On 29. Feb 2020, at 22:25, Warin <[hidden email]> wrote:

`map_source=openstreetmap` is a good tag?
Yes, though I think that posting
the same thread to tagging and talk ml
is a poor idea.

I think source_map=* or source:map=* would be better as that can also be used for other specific 'sources'.

I would prefer map:source, the tag is information=map so it seems more consistent to further describe the map with map:*=* tags

Cheers Martin

Re: How to map an OpenStreetMap map?

Warin
On 1/3/20 8:31 am, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:

sent from a phone

On 29. Feb 2020, at 22:25, Warin [hidden email] wrote:

`map_source=openstreetmap` is a good tag?
Yes, though I think that posting
the same thread to tagging and talk ml
is a poor idea.

I think source_map=* or source:map=* would be better as that can also be used for other specific 'sources'.

I would prefer map:source, the tag is information=map so it seems more consistent to further describe the map with map:*=* tags

Yet the source key is still relevant.

See

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:source

For

source:name  ~ 120,000 uses

source:ref ~182,000 uses

source:addr  ~7,880,000 uses

It would be nice to have some consistency with the use of the source key?

Re: How to map an OpenStreetMap map?

Jarek Piórkowski
On Sat, 29 Feb 2020 at 16:41, Warin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 1/3/20 8:31 am, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
> On 29. Feb 2020, at 22:25, Warin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I think source_map=* or source:map=* would be better as that can also be used for other specific 'sources'.
>
>> I would prefer map:source, the tag is information=map so it seems more consistent to further describe the map with map:*=* tags
>
> Yet the source key is still relevant.
> source:name  ~ 120,000 uses
> source:ref ~182,000 uses
> source:addr  ~7,880,000 uses

In my understanding, source:name refers to the source of the *value*
being entered in OSM, not the source of the name itself. That is, for
name="Wood Road" and source:name=survey, I went there and saw that the
name is posted as Wood Road. We wouldn't add source:name="there is a
wood nearby". Same for source:ref, source:addr.

By the same scheme, source:map=* would specify the source of the value
of the map tag is OSM, but that isn't what we're looking to specify -
we're looking to specify a property of the object itself (the source
of the information of the map object being entered into OSM database).
The object is a map, thus potential tags include for example
map:size=*, map:braille=*, map:coverage=*, map:resolution=*, or in
this case map:source=*.

Compare etymology:name=* vs name:etymology=*.

--Jarek

Re: How to map an OpenStreetMap map?

Andrew Harvey-3
But those uses are mostly the source the mapper used to find out about the tag they are adding, which is different to the source of the map.

source:map=survey means I got the map=* key from a survey.

So if you use map:source=openstreetmap then source:map:source=survey says I found it as being a map using openstreetmap data from a ground survey.

On 1/3/20 8:50 am, Andrew Harvey wrote:
But those uses are mostly the source the mapper used to find out about the tag they are adding, which is different to the source of the map.

source:map=survey means I got the map=* key from a survey.

So if you use map:source=openstreetmap then source:map:source=survey says I found it as being a map using openstreetmap data from a ground survey.

Arr .. yep, convoluted but yes.

[...]

Markus Peloso

Thanks for the idea.

I love it. :D