How to map houses

BD

How to map houses

BD
Hi,

can some one tell me, what is the best way to map houses in residential area. I was thinking of this on a much smaller scale (four or five terraced homes) but here is a good example of even longer properties.

West of the Westbury Ave., each house is a separate object; east from there someone mapped the long buildings as single long rectangles and only added points for house numbers.

Which one should we consider the most appropriate way to map longer building comprised of few properties?

Re: How to map houses

Ed Loach-2
BD asked:

> can some one tell me, what is the best way to map houses in residential area.
> <snip>
> Which one should we consider the most appropriate way to map longer building
> comprised of few properties?

I'm not sure either of your two examples are the best way, and I suspect the answer is likely to be "opinions vary".

Your example of individual houses would, in my opinion, be the better of the two if it had house numbers. The long buildings with nodes to mark house numbers are better than nothing. Buildings with no other information than just an outline are nothing but visual clutter which makes it harder to see where still needs address surveying without zooming in close (I'm sure my opinion will upset a lot of people who spend ages sitting there tracing them, but when I've come to add house numbers in the past it is often easier to delete the building outlines and start again).

Here are some other examples you might like to look at.

Maldon, Essex
https://osm.org/go/0EFrpAyFq?m=
Being picky, I think the individual property boundaries are perhaps a bit over the top, but if they are going to be added then there probably needs to be access to the house from the street rather than a solid barrier.

Sutton Coldfield, Birmingham
https://osm.org/go/euzN_rS4l--?m=

Nottingham
https://osm.org/go/eu8bMaoJB--

East Dulwich
https://osm.org/go/euuuXeO_c--

Clacton-on-Sea
https://osm.org/go/0EHmQd7ib

Apart from the last I just picked places at random and zoomed in. The level of detail varies, but what seems to be common is the individual outlines with an address on each.

I hope this helps,

Ed

Re: How to map houses

David Woolley
On 26/11/2018 18:11, BD wrote:

> can some one tell me, what is the best way to map houses in residential
> area. I was thinking of this on a much smaller scale (four or five
> terraced homes) but here is a good example of even longer properties.
>
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/51.59357/-0.09898
> West of the Westbury Ave., each house is a separate object; east from
> there someone mapped the long buildings as single long rectangles and
> only added points for house numbers.
>
> Which one should we consider the most appropriate way to map longer
> building comprised of few properties?

There is a basic principle that every change should improve the map.  As
such, an outline for the terrace, with points for the houses, is better
than just points, or just the building, but is not as good as mapping
the footprint of every house.  Any of these is better than mapping
nothing at all.  A simple address interpolation is also better than
nothing at all.

It comes down to how much effort you want to expend, and how accurately
you can actually determine the geometry.

Re: How to map houses

Martin Wynne
Hi BD,

Try:

building=terrace

name=5-17 Westbury Avenue

see: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:building%3Dterrace

cheers,

Martin.

Re: How to map houses

Dan S
Hi BD,

Ed's right that opinions will vary and there's often not one perfect
answer. Allow me to propose a modification of Martin's suggestion, for
the case where you have one single outline for a whole terrace and no
knowledge of exactly which housenumber sits where:

building=terrace
addr:housenumer=5-17
addr:interpolation=2
addr:street=Westbury Avenue

Using address interpolation on an outline is not that common, I admit,
but it does at least mean the data is there in machine-readable
format, i.e. it's relatively straightforward to write an automatic
query to know where to send someone if they're looking for 7 Westbury
Avenue.

The more orthodox use is described here:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Addresses#Using_interpolation
where, assuming you know which end of the row is number 5 and which is
number 17, you'd use building=terrace and then create a separate way
(typically not even connected to the building outline) that holds the
addresses and interpolation as shown in the little diagram you see on
that wiki page.

Best
Dan

Op ma 26 nov. 2018 om 19:22 schreef Martin Wynne <[hidden email]>:

> Hi BD,
>
> Try:
>
> building=terrace
>
> name=5-17 Westbury Avenue
>
> see: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:building%3Dterrace
>
> cheers,
>
> Martin.

Re: How to map houses

Ed Loach-2

Dan wrote:

> The more orthodox use is described here:

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Addresses#Using_interpolation

Interesting. I'm clearly behind with wiki reading. My views on addr:interpolation are still based on

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/House_numbers/Karlsruhe_Schema#Using_interpolation_to_mark_many_houses_along_a_way

'We expect this "interpolation way" to be a temporary construct. In the long run, OSM will have every single house mapped as a building outline, and every single house will be tagged with its house number, so that interpolation ways will gradually vanish. However they are good to make a quick start with house numbers, and reportedly there's existing data waiting to be imported that will also require interpolation.'

In fact I've gone as far as removing some interpolation ways where the individual addresses can now be worked out from aerial imagery (usually these are ways added pre-Bing).

Ed

Re: How to map houses

lsces
On 27/11/2018 08:47, Ed Loach wrote:
> 'We expect this "interpolation way" to be a temporary construct. In the
> long run, OSM will have every single house mapped as a building outline,
> and every single house will be tagged with its house number, so that
> interpolation ways will gradually vanish. However they are good to make
> a quick start with house numbers, and reportedly there's existing data
> waiting to be imported that will also require interpolation.'

It would be useful if there was a means of splitting buildings in the
editor(s). Even for semi-detached houses, being able to create two
objects from the one original outline would be helpful. A terrace of
houses just needs to identify how many new objects to create. Where I
have been adding buildings this has been the irritation. Mirror would
also be useful although architects seem to like making changes between
the two halves of a semi these days. But draw one half with all it's
tags then mirror to create the other half, and just edit the house number.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL

Re: How to map houses

Paul Berry
>  It would be useful if there was a means of splitting buildings in the
editor(s).

I believe the Terracer plugin for JOSM could be your friend and guide here: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/JOSM/Plugins/Terracer

I've not used it myself however.

Regards,
Paul

On Tue, 27 Nov 2018 at 09:06, Lester Caine <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 27/11/2018 08:47, Ed Loach wrote:
> 'We expect this "interpolation way" to be a temporary construct. In the
> long run, OSM will have every single house mapped as a building outline,
> and every single house will be tagged with its house number, so that
> interpolation ways will gradually vanish. However they are good to make
> a quick start with house numbers, and reportedly there's existing data
> waiting to be imported that will also require interpolation.'

It would be useful if there was a means of splitting buildings in the
editor(s). Even for semi-detached houses, being able to create two
objects from the one original outline would be helpful. A terrace of
houses just needs to identify how many new objects to create. Where I
have been adding buildings this has been the irritation. Mirror would
also be useful although architects seem to like making changes between
the two halves of a semi these days. But draw one half with all it's
tags then mirror to create the other half, and just edit the house number.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL

Re: How to map houses

John Aldridge-2
> It would be useful if there was a means of splitting buildings in the
> editor(s).

I'm probably in a minority here, but since the mapper usually can't tell
how the building is divided internally, it's more honest to leave the
building undivided and put the housenumber etc. tags on nodes on the
building boundary which represent the front doors.

I also think this is more useful to someone using the map, as it shows
where to find the doorbell!

John

Re: How to map houses

lsces
On 27/11/2018 11:40, John Aldridge wrote:

>> It would be useful if there was a means of splitting buildings in the
>> editor(s).
>
> I'm probably in a minority here, but since the mapper usually can't tell
> how the building is divided internally, it's more honest to leave the
> building undivided and put the housenumber etc. tags on nodes on the
> building boundary which represent the front doors.
>
> I also think this is more useful to someone using the map, as it shows
> where to find the doorbell!

My source material has all the house divisions and we could even include
the internal floorplans, but where we have a block of houses being able
to quickly draw an outline and then create several objects with the same
set of tags is easier than trying to manually create each linked element
of the building.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL

Re: How to map houses

John Aldridge-2
On 27-Nov-18 11:50, Lester Caine wrote:

> On 27/11/2018 11:40, John Aldridge wrote:
>>> It would be useful if there was a means of splitting buildings in the
>>> editor(s).
>>
>> I'm probably in a minority here, but since the mapper usually can't
>> tell how the building is divided internally, it's more honest to leave
>> the building undivided and put the housenumber etc. tags on nodes on
>> the building boundary which represent the front doors.
>>
>> I also think this is more useful to someone using the map, as it shows
>> where to find the doorbell!
>
> My source material has all the house divisions and we could even include
> the internal floorplans...

Perfect! Though doing that job properly would sometimes involve 3D
mapping - there's one smallish building around here with four front
doors which I suspect is split into two upstairs and two downstairs flats.

But that's very much the exception, I suggest. Mostly people seem to
have arbitrarily divided a semi or terrace so as to give separate
polygons to tag. Better all round to just tag front door nodes under
those circumstances, I suggest. And where a single exterior door is
shared between several dwellings (e.g. in a block of flats) something like

addr:housenumber=8-24
addr:interpolation=even

on the node deals neatly with the case.

John

BD

Re: How to map houses

BD
Paul,
The Terracer plugin is absolutely great. Reason for me to pose question on how to best map houses was solely because I drew some outlines and couldn't find a good way to split the objects.

JOSM and terracer are doing the job much easier (see the village I'm trying to map: https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/52.60681/-0.43854 )

Many thanks
Bart

------
It would be useful if there was a means of splitting buildings in the

editor(s).

I believe the Terracer plugin for JOSM could be your friend and guide here:

I've not used it myself however.

Regards,
*Paul*

Re: How to map houses

Paul Berry
Hi Bart,

Glad it's of use but I can't take the credit. I learnt of this tool via JonS (not sure if he is on here) who, from what I can see, has pretty much addressed all the housing in Wakefield with it!

Regards,
Paul