How to place a 'private' pin on an osm map?

How to place a 'private' pin on an osm map?

Bernard T. Higonnet
Hello,

I have a holiday rental apartment whose location I want to be able to
show by a 'private' pin on OSM and offer prospective customer a link
that will open a tab to OSM with my pin.

I have searched a bit but have not been able to find this. I have found
descriptions of all sorts quite amazing possibilities, all much more
complicated than what I want to do...

TIA
Bernard Higonnet

Re: How to place a 'private' pin on an osm map?

Andrew Errington
On Thu, 05 Jun 2014 06:59:10 Bernard T. Higonnet wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a holiday rental apartment whose location I want to be able to
> show by a 'private' pin on OSM and offer prospective customer a link
> that will open a tab to OSM with my pin.
>
> I have searched a bit but have not been able to find this. I have found
> descriptions of all sorts quite amazing possibilities, all much more
> complicated than what I want to do...
>
> TIA
> Bernard Higonnet

Do you mean putting a link in an email like this?:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=51.50801&mlon=-0.12806&zoom=17

This is my 'private pin' for Trafalgar Square.

If it's what you want then there are two ways of doing it.

1) Edit the URL above and change the mlat and mlon (marker latitude and marker
longitude) and the zoom level to the lat/lon of the place you want
2) or use the share button on the right hand side of the main OSM map screen
(it looks like a little box with an arrow jumping out of it).  Click on
"Include marker" and the copy the URL that is created for you in the text box
below.

Send an email with the URL in it.  Only recipients of the message will see it.

Best wishes,

Andrew

Re: How to place a 'private' pin on an osm map?

André Riedel
If you use the share button on the right side of the OSM-site, you can
choose to set a position marker.

> Hello,
>
> I have a holiday rental apartment whose location I want to be able to show
> by a 'private' pin on OSM and offer prospective customer a link that will
> open a tab to OSM with my pin.
>
> I have searched a bit but have not been able to find this. I have found
> descriptions of all sorts quite amazing possibilities, all much more
> complicated than what I want to do...
>
> TIA
> Bernard Higonnet

Re: How to place a 'private' pin on an osm map?

Clifford Snow

On Wed, Jun 4, 2014 at 2:59 PM, Bernard T. Higonnet <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have a holiday rental apartment whose location I want to be able to show by a 'private' pin on OSM and offer prospective customer a link that will open a tab to OSM with my pin.

I have searched a bit but have not been able to find this. I have found descriptions of all sorts quite amazing possibilities, all much more complicated than what I want to do...

The suggestions from Andrew and André are probably all you need, but you can create your own map with tools like Cartodb.com. That may be more involved that what you need. There are other options beside cartodb to explore.

Clifford
--
@osm_seattle
OpenStreetMap: Maps with a human touch

On 06/05/2014 07:39, Clifford Snow wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 4, 2014 at 2:59 PM, Bernard T. Higonnet <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     I have a holiday rental apartment whose location I want to be able
>     to show by a 'private' pin on OSM and offer prospective customer a
>     link that will open a tab to OSM with my pin.
>
>     I have searched a bit but have not been able to find this. I have
>     found descriptions of all sorts quite amazing possibilities, all
>     much more complicated than what I want to do...
>

> The suggestions from Andrew and André are probably all you need

They are indeed, exactly what I was looking for...

> but you
> can create your own map with tools like Cartodb.com. That may be more
> involved that what you need.

Makes me wish I had something better to map!

Thanks to all.

Bernard Higonnet

Re: How to place a 'private' pin on an osm map?

Jan Kolarik

On 06/05/2014 07:39 AM, Clifford Snow wrote:
> The suggestions from Andrew and André are probably all you need,

Is there also such an easy way to place *several* markers?

Jan

Re: How to place a 'private' pin on an osm map?

Richard Weait
On Mon, Jun 9, 2014 at 4:53 AM, Jan Kolarik <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is there also such an easy way to place *several* markers?

Sure.  There are many, but try this one for starters.

http://umap.openstreetmap.fr/en/

It has many more options beyond placing a single or multiple markers.
You can place different marker images.  You may also draw arbitrary
areas, and save maps or display them on your web site for example.