How to remove an index from an existing map

How to remove an index from an existing map

Bernhard Hiller
Whenever more than one map exists on an Oregon, the indices of all those
maps are used for POI search reagrdless if the maps are "enabled" or not.

When the areas of maps do overlap, several POIs are listed twice (or
even more often depending on the number of maps).
Since I use some POI codes differently from the standard (combined with
my own "language pack"), this leads to even more confusion.

Hence I'd like to know if - and how - and index can be removed from an
existing map.
In case that the gmapsupp.img file is created from precompiled tiles
(e.g. VeloMap), is it possible to change the commandline such that the
gmapsupp won't contain an index (no, just omitting the --index option
does not do the trick, despite a file size of 330 MB vs. 337 MB fro
Bavaria)?

Re: How to remove an index from an existing map

popej
Hi Bernhard,

On PC index is a file with name *_mdr.img, you can remove this file form
registry (probably together with  *.mdx).

In a gmapsupp.img index is a subfile with name *.mdr. You can split img
to subfiles, delete *.mdr and then merge subfiles back.

Better Garmin devices have option to select map for search, maybe Oregon
too? Is there any "menu" button at POI search windows?

--
Best regards,
Andrzej

Re: How to remove an index from an existing map

Bernhard Hiller
Czesc Andrzej,

thanks for your hints. Unfortunately, it did not work.

Next, I downloaded a fresh extract from Geofabrik and created a fresh
map without an index. I verified that the maps which come with the
device do not have POIs (well, there are some: all of them are military
or civil airports, but that's it). After copying the map into the
device, all the POIs were present.

That means, the device reads the POIs from the tiles (?) or somewhere
else from the map when no index is present.

I tried to add an empty index by creating osmmap.mdx and osmmap_mdr.img
files from a small JOSM download, and then created the gmapsupp with the
"normal" tiles and that index - that did not work.

An Oregon does not have an option to select the map for search (even not
enabled maps are used!), despite its rather high price it seems not to
be a "better" device...

Other ideas?

Kind regards,
Bernhard

Am 02.07.2014 22:43, schrieb Andrzej Popowski:

> Hi Bernhard,
>
> On PC index is a file with name *_mdr.img, you can remove this file
> form registry (probably together with  *.mdx).
>
> In a gmapsupp.img index is a subfile with name *.mdr. You can split
> img to subfiles, delete *.mdr and then merge subfiles back.
>
> Better Garmin devices have option to select map for search, maybe
> Oregon too? Is there any "menu" button at POI search windows?

Re: How to remove an index from an existing map

Felix Hartmann-2
You should have phrased your question better...
--index is only about address search. POI search is independent of
address search.

I'm not sure if there is an index for POI as well - but what you could
do is use 0x00000 codes that are not searchable. Actually most 0x* codes
are not appearing in the POI search. So try around until you achieve
what you want.
But note - on some units the POI might pop up in the Others category -
while being unsearchable on other Garmin units...

However -yes deactivating/activating a map only concerns map display.
Neither address search or POI search can be switched off on the GPS unit.

Bernhard wrote:
 > thanks for your hints. Unfortunately, it did not work.

I'm quite sure this is the way to remove search index from a map. Maybe
I misunderstood your problem?

Felix wrote:
 > I'm not sure if there is an index for POI as well

There is index for selected POIs. I think outdoor GPS uses index, when
searching for POI by name but it could search for nearest POI in map
tiles, when browsing POI categories.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej

Re: How to remove an index from an existing map

Thorsten Kukuk

On Thu, Jul 03, Felix Hartmann wrote:

> I'm not sure if there is an index for POI as well

There is an index, and for example the GPSmap 60CSx is using
that for POI search. While the GPSmap 62s is not using it, it
looks like it generates the "index" on the fly from the tile
data.

  Thorsten

GF: Jeff Hawn, Jennifer Guild, Felix Imend├Ârffer, HRB 16746 (AG N├╝rnberg)

Re: How to remove an index from an existing map

Bernhard Hiller
Thanks a lot for your hints.

 > --index is only about address search. POI search is independent of
address search.
Thanks for that hint. I did not know that.

 > it looks like it generates the "index" on the fly from the tile data.
With the slow speed of the items appearing in the list, that likely
holds true for the Oregon series also.

 > use 0x00000 codes that are not searchable
Well, I could do so when creating my own map. But the situation is the
other way round: I want the data of my map to be shown, but the data of
other maps to be ignored (and these otgher maps use the "normal" codes).

Consequently, with the current firmware of the Oregon, it is not
possible to de-activate the POI search of certain maps which are
available on the device.
A disappointing result, but at least I learned some things...