How to revive a tag proposal?

Tagging mailing list
Greetings.

In Portugal there are olive oil mills all over the place, as I'm sure
there are in Spain, Italy and Greece. Unfortunately, there's no easy way
to map them on OSM.
I found an ancient proposal for this tag, but it never went forward:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/olive_oil_mill

I contacted its author one month ago via OSM profile, but received no
answer.
What can I do to revive this proposal and implement this tag?

Regards,
António Madeira.

Re: How to revive a tag proposal?

Andy Townsend
On 14/01/2020 17:33, António Madeira via Tagging wrote:
> What can I do to revive this proposal and implement this tag?

Just use the tag?

You can see existing values for "man_made" at
https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/man_made#values , and you can
search in there for "mill" or "olive". "man_made=olive_oil_mill" is
actually relatively popular among "mill" values.

This won't get it automatically included on any map rendering, but if I
was doing one for Southern Europe I'd definitely consider including
something.

Best Regards,

Andy

Re: How to revive a tag proposal?

António Madeira
Sorry, I didn't get your point, Andy.
The tag was used 32 times, that doesn't seem a "relatively popular" use
of the tag.
Someone using iD (newbie or not) doesn't have any idea on how to map
this structure.

I would like to make a proper wiki and add that feature to iD, but I
never done that and I would like to have more information on how to do
that first step and use what already was started with the previous proposal.

Às 14:45 de 14/01/2020, Andy Townsend escreveu:

> On 14/01/2020 17:33, António Madeira via Tagging wrote:
>> What can I do to revive this proposal and implement this tag?
>>
> Just use the tag?
>
> You can see existing values for "man_made" at
> https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/man_made#values , and you can
> search in there for "mill" or "olive". "man_made=olive_oil_mill" is
> actually relatively popular among "mill" values.
>
> This won't get it automatically included on any map rendering, but if
> I was doing one for Southern Europe I'd definitely consider including
> something.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Andy

Re: How to revive a tag proposal?

Markus-5
Hi!

On Tue, 14 Jan 2020 at 18:35, António Madeira via Tagging
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> What can I do to revive this proposal and implement this tag?

I'm unsure whether taking over the proposal is a good idea, but you
could write a new proposal (see [1]).

However, note that there is already craft=oil_mill (although not
approved), which could be used together with product=olive_oil. [2]
For big industrial oil mills you may rather want to use man_made=works
+ product=olive_oil.

[1]: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposal_process
[2]: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag%3Acraft%3Doil_mill

Regards

Markus

Re: How to revive a tag proposal?

marc marc
Le 14.01.20 à 18:33, António Madeira via Tagging a écrit :
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/olive_oil_mill
> What can I do to revive this proposal and implement this tag?

for small changes :
check taginfo if another tag/value exist with the same meaning.
check if the most comment used tag/value is a good idea or not.
take over the proposal (change the name field like : original by A,
take over by B) and choose whether you want to keep the rest intact
or modify in favour of the most common existing situation.
run the RFC like any other proposal.

for big changes :
write a new proposal, keeping all that can be done to avoid
fragmentation (some may be using the previous proposal even
though it was unsuccessful).

Re: How to revive a tag proposal?

>> On 14. Jan 2020, at 19:50, António Madeira <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Sorry, I didn't get your point, Andy.
> The tag was used 32 times, that doesn't seem a "relatively popular" use
> of the tag.

if there aren’t proper alternatives I agree it is relatively popular.

> Someone using iD (newbie or not) doesn't have any idea on how to map
> this structure.

correct

> I would like to make a proper wiki and add that feature to iD

these are 2 completely unrelated actions, for inclusion in iD you do not need a wiki entry nor does it influence the decision to add it or not (according to one of the maintainers).
You could add a ticket to iD github asking for inclusion in iD.

Cheers Martin

Às 06:29 de 15/01/2020, Martin Koppenhoefer escreveu:

>> I would like to make a proper wiki and add that feature to iD
>
> these are 2 completely unrelated actions, for inclusion in iD you do not need a wiki entry nor does it influence the decision to add it or not (according to one of the maintainers).
> You could add a ticket to iD github asking for inclusion in iD.

I am aware of that, but I wouldn't propose something to github without
knowing the correct way of tagging it.

Às 16:23 de 14/01/2020, Markus escreveu:

> I'm unsure whether taking over the proposal is a good idea, but you
> could write a new proposal (see [1]).
>
> However, note that there is already craft=oil_mill (although not
> approved), which could be used together with product=olive_oil. [2]
> For big industrial oil mills you may rather want to use man_made=works
> + product=olive_oil.
>
> [1]:https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposal_process
> [2]:https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag%3Acraft%3Doil_mill
>
> Regards
>
> Markus

I wasn't aware of this proposal, but I like it more than the olive-oil-mill.
Anyway, I can't find any proposal page for it. What would be the correct
way to try and advance with the proposal process? Or should I just
propose it at github's with craft=oil_mill + product=olive_oil?