How to tag Solar Hot Water panel?

Alan & Ruth Bragg
The Everglades National Park has large solar hot water arrays that provide hot water to the restrooms at Flamingo. The panels are mounted on  structures about 20 feet from the restrooms.
I cannot find an appropriate tag. Can anyone help. It seems to me there must be thousands if not millions of solar hot water panels in the world.

Thanks
Alan Bragg
51 Hancock St
Bedford MA 10730
339-545-1737 mobile

Re: How to tag Solar Hot Water panel?

sabas88
you'd need to use the tag power=generator, see this wiki page for information

You'd use probably
power=generator
generator:source=solar
generator:output=hot_water
generator:method=thermal
generator:output:hot_water=3 kW

and so on, either on a node or an area...

Regards,
Stefano

The Everglades National Park has large solar hot water arrays that provide hot water to the restrooms at Flamingo. The panels are mounted on  structures about 20 feet from the restrooms.
I cannot find an appropriate tag. Can anyone help. It seems to me there must be thousands if not millions of solar hot water panels in the world.

Thanks
Alan Bragg
51 Hancock St
Bedford MA 10730

Re: How to tag Solar Hot Water panel?

Bill & Kathy Patterson
That looks very helpful, Stefano, but I should have thought that "generator:method=thermal" would apply to thermal combustion.  While I agree that old Sol is a heat source, is it not convention that for power generation "thermal" is used for coal, oil, and gas, but not for nuclear or solar?  And then of course there is geothermal.

Re: How to tag Solar Hot Water panel?

john whelan-2
Given the number of these first do we really want to map them and second perhaps something more concise to prevent filling up the database quite so much.  I speak merely as a retired database administrator you understand.

Cheerio John

On 19 April 2015 at 19:26, Bill & Kathy Patterson <[hidden email]> wrote:
That looks very helpful, Stefano, but I should have thought that "generator:method=thermal" would apply to thermal combustion.  While I agree that old Sol is a heat source, is it not convention that for power generation "thermal" is used for coal, oil, and gas, but not for nuclear or solar?  And then of course there is geothermal.

Re: How to tag Solar Hot Water panel?

Stewart C. Russell
On 2015-04-19 08:49 PM, john whelan wrote:
Given the number of these first do we really want to map them

You might not, but someone else will. We all like to map different things.

This node is a decent example:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/2671563575

power=generator
generator:method=thermal

generator:output:hot_water=yes
generator:source=solar
generator:type=solar_thermal_collector

(took me a while to find it: got waylaid finding accounts registered by solar sales spammers, grrr …)

and second perhaps something more concise to prevent filling up the database quite so much.

It might seem long, but some thought has gone into the Power tagging scheme. I don't necessarily agree with it all, but I know that unless I stick with the current scheme, none of my edits will be understood as power infrastructure.

“Thermal” in the generation side usually means electrical generation from some kind of turbine driven by a heat source, typically able to generate supercritical steam. These solar water heaters run a smidge cooler than that, but are still very useful.

cheers,
 Stewart