How to tag a fence made with metal bars?

How to tag a fence made with metal bars?

Gonzalo Gabriel Pérez
Hi everyone,
I'm reading in the wiki ( http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:fence_type ) about the fence_type key and I think that it ambiguous the way that is described how could be tagged a fence made with metal bars like these, see pictures:

Which values between 'bars', 'wire' and 'metal' should be used?

Maybe we need to modify the wiki article to make it more precise?

Greetings,
Gonzalo (Zalitoar)

Re: How to tag a fence made with metal bars?

Georg Feddern-2
Am 05.11.2015 um 15:59 schrieb Gonzalo Gabriel Pérez:
Hi everyone,
I'm reading in the wiki ( http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:fence_type ) about the fence_type key and I think that it ambiguous the way that is described how could be tagged a fence made with metal bars like these, see pictures:

Which values between 'bars', 'wire' and 'metal' should be used?

All your examples are just ' metal' - because - in my opinion - the pictures for 'bars' and 'wire' are just wrong.
Under 'wire' I would understand some simple wire (one or more horizontal) between the poles - wire like in 'electric'.
Under 'bars' I would understand some simple 'bars from metal between the poles - like the horizontal poles in the wooden 'pole' example.

Regards, Georg

Re: How to tag a fence made with metal bars?

> Am 05.11.2015 um 19:10 schrieb Georg Feddern <[hidden email]>:
>
> All your examples are just ' metal' - because - in my opinion - the pictures for 'bars' and 'wire' are just wrong.
> Under 'wire' I would understand some simple wire (one or more horizontal) between the poles - wire like in 'electric'.
> Under 'bars' I would understand some simple 'bars from metal between the poles - like the horizontal poles in the wooden 'pole' example.

metal is very generic and more a material than an actual fence type, chain link wire, perforated sheet, barbed wire, horizontal bars, vertical bars, expanded metal, ...

I suggest to be quite specific at this type level, because barrier=fence is already generic. For the material without any more detail we could use fence:material rather than a type tag

cheers

Re: How to tag a fence made with metal bars?

John Willis

Javbw
> On Nov 6, 2015, at 3:51 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I suggest to be quite specific at this type level, because barrier=fence is already generic. For the material without any more detail we could use fence:material rather than a type tag

+1

In America, chain link is very very popular, whereas in Japan, 1.8m  welded wire lattice sections are everywhere (I think these are very European).

(Use street view)
https://goo.gl/maps/4S9eCrNnKTN2

Speaking of metal bars, I have a question about that.

In Japan, a half-wall half-fence like thing is common.  Cinder block walls are very common for commercial and residential boundary walls, and in many places are normal 1.5m tall walls. These cinder blocks are almost as narrow as bricks - 15cm or so.

But also it is common to have extruded aluminum square tubing/bar arranged in a 10-15cm spaced pattern prefabricated 1.8m sections put on top of a 50-100cm tall wall.

An isolated example of a common type.
(Use street view)
https://goo.gl/maps/R7tYyYXQh6E2

There are probably several thousand KM of this type of wall-fence in Japan.

(Interesting note, across the street is precast concrete fencing! It is used exclusively for protecting train lines).

The aluminum sections are very light, and not only allow very strong winds to pass easily (so much less reinforcement is needed), but allows much greater visibility through the wall and less danger of collapse over time from earthquakes.

Many places who want something more decorative than anodized aluminum get all kinds of precast metal, fancy metal rod, or use even cheaper ones like that metal lattice fencing to put on top.

Concrete wall with brick facade, aluminum posts and cast aluminum sections.
(Use street view)
https://goo.gl/maps/k6tnknBZXKS2

I have just tagged those as "wall" and be happy to continue doing so - but if I wanted to document it's 1/2wall, 1/2 fence nature, what do you Suggest?

Javbw

Re: How to tag a fence made with metal bars?

> Am 05.11.2015 um 23:09 schrieb John Willis <[hidden email]>:
>
> In Japan, a half-wall half-fence like thing is common.  Cinder block walls are very common for commercial and residential boundary walls, and in many places are normal 1.5m tall walls. These cinder blocks are almost as narrow as bricks - 15cm or so.

+1, good point, I've also encountered many times situations with several fences types or wall/fence combinations that are stacked one above the other, also retaining walls with a fence on top are not rare. How do we map this? Overlapping ways with layer tags? A relation?
Another not uncommon situation consists of hedges with a fence in the middle.

cheers

Re: How to tag a fence made with metal bars?

Gerd Petermann
Hmm, in my eyes many fences / barriers are also some kind of
art, esp. old ones made of metal are often hand crafted (at
least in Germany). They are similar to the main entrances
of buildings, they try to express somehow how the owner
welcomes you (in case of the entrance) or tries to keep you
away (in case of the fence).
I fear you will never find simple tags to describe these details
in a way that allows data consumers to use the information.

 Gerd

> Am 05.11.2015 um 23:09 schrieb John Willis <[hidden email]>:
>
> In Japan, a half-wall half-fence like thing is common.  Cinder block walls are very common for commercial and residential boundary walls, and in many places are normal 1.5m tall walls. These cinder blocks are almost as narrow as bricks - 15cm or so.

+1, good point, I've also encountered many times situations with several fences types or wall/fence combinations that are stacked one above the other, also retaining walls with a fence on top are not rare. How do we map this? Overlapping ways with layer tags? A relation?
Another not uncommon situation consists of hedges with a fence in the middle.

cheers

Re: How to tag a fence made with metal bars?

kingpanel
Aluminum is renowned for its durability. It can withstand all the vagaries of weather such as extreme heat, cold, and the rains as well. It is corrosion proof and fireproof. The aluminum panels can protect from the harmful effects of the UV rays as well. Therefore, these aluminum composite panels have a long life.more: http://www.kingaluc.com