How to tag access restriction on interstate highway crossovers?

How to tag access restriction on interstate highway crossovers?

Xavier-2

By "interstate highway crossovers" I mean small bits of road that
connect the two carriage ways of a US interstate highway and are signed
as "Authorized Vehicles Only" (at least in Virginia they are signed
this way).

An example is here:

http://openstreetcam.org/details/1253343/475/track-info

If you look at the left edge of the photo, you will see part of the
pavement of the small way that connects to the other traffic lane of
the highway.  Zooming in on the sign visible just behind the curved
guardrail at the far end of the crossover in the photo will show the
"Authorized Vehicles Only" restriction language.  Clicking on the "edit
in Id|JOSM" links will open the location so you can see the aerial
images of the "crossover".

The "Authorized Vehicles Only" sign really translates to: access
allowed for police, fire, and rescue vehicles.

A way mapping this feature would obviously be highway=service.

And an initial access=no tag to prevent routers from deciding to try to
use it for U-turns.

But looking at the wiki values for the access= key there are two
'close' values for "access allowed for police, fire, and rescue":

1) private
2) designated

However the description of designated indicates that it is a different
meaning than what is meant here.  That leaves private, but somehow
'private' seems not really a good fit at the same time.  It is not
really 'private' as in privately owned, it is public, but restricted.

So is access=private correct, or is there a better tag that I've not
located yet?

On Sun, Dec 30, 2018 at 11:38:26PM +0100, Volker Schmidt wrote:

>On Sun, 30 Dec 2018, 22:31 Xavier <[hidden email] wrote:
>> By "interstate highway crossovers" I mean small bits of road that
>> connect the two carriage ways of a US interstate highway and are signed
>> as "Authorized Vehicles Only" (at least in Virginia they are signed
>> this way).
>>
>> An example is here:
>>
>> http://openstreetcam.org/details/1253343/475/track-info

>What about
>access=emergency
>?

That could work, except it is marked "Abandoned" in the wiki:

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/emergency_vehicle_access

emergency vehicle access

Re: How to tag access restriction on interstate highway crossovers?

Lorenzo Mastrogiacomi
Il giorno dom, 30/12/2018 alle 18.06 -0500, Xavier ha scritto:

> On Sun, Dec 30, 2018 at 11:38:26PM +0100, Volker Schmidt wrote:
> > On Sun, 30 Dec 2018, 22:31 Xavier <
> > [hidden email]
> >  wrote:
> > > By "interstate highway crossovers" I mean small bits of road that
> > > connect the two carriage ways of a US interstate highway and are
> > > signed
> > > as "Authorized Vehicles Only" (at least in Virginia they are
> > > signed
> > > this way).
> > >
> > > An example is here:
> > >
> > > http://openstreetcam.org/details/1253343/475/track-info

> > What about
> > access=emergency
> > ?
>
> That could work, except it is marked "Abandoned" in the wiki:
>
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/emergency_vehicle_access
>

> emergency vehicle access

access=private doesn't really mean it is privately owned but access
only by permission, so it's actually what you want.

In addition, to allow emergency vehicles you can use emergency=yes.

Lorenzo

Re: How to tag access restriction on interstate highway crossovers?

Mark Wagner
On Sun, 30 Dec 2018 18:06:26 -0500
Xavier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 30, 2018 at 11:38:26PM +0100, Volker Schmidt wrote:
> >On Sun, 30 Dec 2018, 22:31 Xavier <[hidden email] wrote:
> >> By "interstate highway crossovers" I mean small bits of road that
> >> connect the two carriage ways of a US interstate highway and are
> >> signed as "Authorized Vehicles Only" (at least in Virginia they
> >> are signed this way).
> >>
> >> An example is here:
> >>
> >> http://openstreetcam.org/details/1253343/475/track-info

> >What about
> >access=emergency
> >?
>
> That could work, except it is marked "Abandoned" in the wiki:
>
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/emergency_vehicle_access
>
> emergency vehicle access

Doesn't mean it's not in use.  According to TagInfo, "access=emergency"
has 2700 uses, while the related "emergency=yes" has 66,500.

--
Mark

Re: How to tag access restriction on interstate highway crossovers?

Paul Johnson-3
On Sun, Dec 30, 2018 at 3:32 PM Xavier <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Typically these are

highway=service
access=no
emergency=yes