How to tag marine lights on posts

Andy Mabbett
I've just tagged a row of 18 marine hazard lights, on tall posts, as
highway=street_lamp

For example:

  <http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/1494256519>

Clearly that's not correct; what tag would folk suggest?

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing

Re: How to tag marine lights on posts

David Groom

> I've just tagged a row of 18 marine hazard lights, on tall posts, as
> highway=street_lamp
>
> For example:
>
>  <http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/1494256519>
>
> Clearly that's not correct; what tag would folk suggest?
>
> --

Something from

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OpenSeaMap/Seamark_Tag_Values

depending on exactly what the light characteristsics are

David

> Andy Mabbett
> @pigsonthewing
> http://pigsonthewing.org.uk

Re: How to tag marine lights on posts

Malcolm Herring
These are warning beacons to mark the line of reefs. The appropriate
OpenSeaMap tagging would be:

seamark:type=beacon_special_purpose
seamark:beacon_special_purpose:category=artificial_reef
seamark:special_purpose_beacon:shape=pile
seamark:light:colour=<whatever the colour of the light is>
seamark:light:character=<whatever the flashing pattern is>
seamark:topmark:shape=<if it has a topmark, the shape>
seamark:topmark:colour=<if it has a topmark, the colour>

NB: these tags will only be rendered on OpenSeaMap (an overlay to the
StreetMap).

man_made=beacon would be appropriate for the StreetMap, although I don't
know whether this tag is rendered.

Re: How to tag marine lights on posts

Andy Mabbett
On 7 November 2011 18:28, Malcolm Herring
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> These are warning beacons to mark the line of reefs. The appropriate
> OpenSeaMap tagging would be:
>
> seamark:type=beacon_special_purpose
> seamark:beacon_special_purpose:category=artificial_reef
> seamark:special_purpose_beacon:shape=pile
> seamark:light:colour=<whatever the colour of the light is>
> seamark:light:character=<whatever the flashing pattern is>
> seamark:topmark:shape=<if it has a topmark, the shape>
> seamark:topmark:colour=<if it has a topmark, the colour>
>
> NB: these tags will only be rendered on OpenSeaMap (an overlay to the
> StreetMap).
>
> man_made=beacon would be appropriate for the StreetMap, although I don't
> know whether this tag is rendered.

Thank you. I've used some of those, but I only saw them during
daytime, so can't comment on the colour or pattern of the lights.

I'd tagged what you all "reefs" as "islands"; I've now added "reef" as well.

On 07/11/2011 23:16, Andy Mabbett wrote:

> Thank you. I've used some of those, but I only saw them during
> daytime, so can't comment on the colour or pattern of the lights.
>
> I'd tagged what you all "reefs" as "islands"; I've now added "reef" as well.

I see them on the map!

According to a marine chart I have they are red lights that flash once
every 5 seconds. You will need to verify that by a survey on the ground
before adding the light data into OSM, since that chart is a copyrighted
source. Beacon/buoy lights are usually only activated after dark, so a
night trip would be required.

Do you recall whether the piles were painted a distinctive
colour/colours? This information is also useful for daylight
recognition. (using a "seamark:beacon_special_purpose:colour" tag)

For OpenSeaMap, the reefs should be tagged:

seamark:type=shoreline_construction
seamark:shoreline_construction:category=breakwater