How to tag monumental railcars

Tijmen Stam

How to tag monumental railcars

> How does one tag a railcar/railway wagon that is standing somewhere as a monument, which is NOT a locomotive?

could be historic=freight_car or railway_carriage or waggon etc.

If it is with a roof you could consider building as well.

For both tags I would assume that the thing doesn't move anymore.

How to tag monumental railcars

EthnicFood IsGreat
> Date: Sun, 7 May 2017 15:26:17 +0200
> From: Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>
> To: "Tag discussion, strategy and related tools"
> <tagging at openstreetmap.org>
> Subject: Re: [Tagging] How to tag monumental railcars

> > How does one tag a railcar/railway wagon that is standing somewhere as a
> monument, which is NOT a locomotive?
>

> could be historic=freight_car or railway_carriage or waggon etc.
>
> If it is with a roof you could consider building as well.
>

> For both tags I would assume that the thing doesn't move anymore.
>
> Cheers,
> Martin

Here in the US it is common for old cabooses to be publicly displayed by themselves.  (Not sure if "caboose" is only an American term or not.)  I have mapped several of these, drawing a polygon around the shape and tagging with historic=caboose.

Mark Bradley

How to tag monumental railcars

Lorenzo Beltrami
Here in my zone railway carriages are not rarely used to "decorate"
restaurants or clubs.[1][2]

> could be historic=freight_car or railway_carriage or waggon etc.

I've used historic=wagon for the cargo and historic=carriage for the
passenger ones.[3]

For both tags I would assume that the thing doesn't move anymore.

+1

Lorenzo

[1] http://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3893/15202332275_eb03e4c0d0_z.jpg
[2]
https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/08/70/22/42/la-locanda-di-sant-agata.jpg
[3] https://osm.org/go/xX~I9u4W8?layers=D&way=460707523
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

How to tag monumental railcars

> I've used historic=wagon for the cargo and historic=carriage for the
> passenger ones.[3]

I believe in British English it should be "waggon". Carriage alone is an
ambiguous term and can mean a lot of different stuff including horse drawn
carriages, that's why I had included the "railway_" qualifier in my
suggestion.

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

How to tag monumental railcars

Andy Mabbett
On 9 May 2017 at 21:38, Mark Bradley <ethnicfoodisgreat at gmail.com> wrote:

> Not sure if "caboose" is only an American term or not

It's not a term used in British English, except to describe American vehicles.

BTW, historic=wagon should be avoided, as it does not distinguish
between railway wagons and other types.

Maybe historic=railway_wagon ?

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing

On 10 May 2017 at 10:24, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:

> I believe in British English it should be "waggon".

"Waggon was preferred in British English until a century ago and it
still appears occasionally, but it is fast becoming archaic. In this
century, the shorter one is preferred in all main varieties of
English."

http://grammarist.com/spelling/wagon-waggon/

--
Andy Mabbett