How to tag shared waterway highway

دار الآثار للنشر والتوزيع-صنعاء Dar Alathar-Yemen

Many waterways (wadis) in our region used as roads when no rain days.

How to tag them? is it allowed to use (waterway + highway) in same way?

Re: How to tag shared waterway highway

Warin
On 08/12/18 20:25, ??? ?????? ????? ????????-????? Dar Alathar-Yemen wrote:

Many waterways (wadis) in our region used as roads when no rain days.

How to tag them? is it allowed to use (waterway + highway) in same way?

Similar problems in Australia

Many ephemeral rivers are used for vehicles and some are used as hiking paths.

For the hiking paths as these are routes I have simply made them into members of the route.

Tagging both as highway + waterway will lead to problems.

Using the route relation has worked for the hiking trails that I have done so far.

That might work for highways too, make a relation with the normal highways and waterways as a route.

Re: How to tag shared waterway highway

Andy Townsend
On 08/12/2018 10:31, Joseph Eisenberg wrote:
> I would recommend drawing a separate “way” for the highway. I imagine
> that the route taken by vehicles or people walking is a few meters off
> of the center of the waterway, and perhaps a little straighter. If you
> are coarsest tracing the waterway and road, then the two ways might
> share most of their nodes.

Drawing separate ways for highway and waterway but sharing the same
nodes will also lead to problems - there's no way that data consumers
will know that this highway is also a waterway.  If you're going to do
that then you'll need to add some other tag to the highway to say "you
may get wet".

Highways and waterways using exactly the same route is pretty common
where I am in the UK - they're called "long fords" (we don't have many
wadis), and a ford=yes tag allows renderers to process them.  I'd
imagine for wadis some other tag (maybe some sort of "hazard"?) would be
more appropriate, but it needs something.

Best Regards,

Andy

On 08/12/18 21:31, Joseph Eisenberg wrote:
I would recommend drawing a separate “way” for the highway. I imagine that the route taken by vehicles or people walking is a few meters off of the center of the waterway, and perhaps a little straighter. If you are coarsest tracing the waterway and road, then the two ways might share most of their nodes.

I don't think you have used them. The ones I have used:
The waterway will vary from one flow to the next by some meters - they are sand bottoms. The rivers when flowing are 10s of metres wide.
Some flood in flatter areas.
The road/track will change after a rain event by meters to make best use of the changed topography.
The are mostly sandy bottoms - meters wide. Take a look at the Todd River in
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/ephemeral#Examples

The way shown in OSM (or any map) is a guide.
I would not take the trouble to offset one from the other, if it were done then it is bound to be on the wrong side :)

On 08/12/18 21:57, Andy Townsend wrote:

> On 08/12/2018 10:31, Joseph Eisenberg wrote:
>> I would recommend drawing a separate “way” for the highway. I imagine
>> that the route taken by vehicles or people walking is a few meters
>> off of the center of the waterway, and perhaps a little straighter.
>> If you are coarsest tracing the waterway and road, then the two ways
>> might share most of their nodes.
>

> Drawing separate ways for highway and waterway but sharing the same
> nodes will also lead to problems - there's no way that data consumers
> will know that this highway is also a waterway.  If you're going to do
> that then you'll need to add some other tag to the highway to say "you
> may get wet".

My experience:
You may get wet ...once in twenty years.
You will get bogged trying to get to them. Most people set up camp and
wait for the road to dry out.
Local councils usually have fines in place for people that travel on
their roads in wet conditions and damage them... ones I have been told
of were $1000 per vehicle axle but that was many years ago, probable
gone up since then.
(Think of an Australian 'road train' with ~13 axles)

> Highways and waterways using exactly the same route is pretty common
> where I am in the UK - they're called "long fords" (we don't have many
> wadis), and a ford=yes tag allows renderers to process them.  I'd
> imagine for wadis some other tag (maybe some sort of "hazard"?) would
> be more appropriate, but it needs something.

Fords are where the water runs across the road.. not along with it... at
least that is the common situation here.

I do know of one that follows the creek bed for some distance .. and
that one is wet most of the time. And it is a rocky bottom.

It would be nice to be able to tag them -
water frequency, depth?, ?
road 'surface' (once through any water), ?

On 08/12/2018 11:19, Warin wrote:

> Fords are where the water runs across the road.. not along with it...
> at least that is the common situation here.

We have more water than you :)

A regular ford does just go across the road, but one that shares the
road for a bit is called a "long ford".
https://map.atownsend.org.uk/maps/map/map.html#zoom=20&lat=53.137329&lon=-1.468145
is an example (https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/42000985 in OSM).

Best Regards,

Andy

Re: How to tag shared waterway highway

Yves-2
There's two solutions:
A single way tagged highway and waterway.
Or two ways sharing some nodes or not, one tagged as a highway with an additional tag saying it can be flooded, and the other a waterway with an additional tag cause it can be dry, and another tag saying you may encounter cars on it.
Yves

Le 8 décembre 2018 10:25:49 GMT+01:00, ??? ?????? ????? ????????-????? Dar Alathar-Yemen <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Many waterways (wadis) in our region used as roads when no rain days.

How to tag them? is it allowed to use (waterway + highway) in same way?

Re: How to tag shared waterway highway

Tod Fitch

> On Dec 8, 2018, at 2:31 AM, Joseph Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I would recommend drawing a separate “way” for the highway. I imagine that the route taken by vehicles or people walking is a few meters off of the center of the waterway, and perhaps a little straighter. If you are coarsest tracing the waterway and road, then the two ways might share most of their nodes.

As soon as I got to your “I imagine that” I decided you’ve no experience in this and I should discount anything that follows.

In the desert southwest of the United States where I was raised they call the usually dry water courses a “wash”. And they are often used for vehicle travel when dry which is almost all of the time. In hilly or mountainous areas the width of the waterway is often no wider than most vehicles so there is no place “a few meters off the center of the waterway”. And my experience in walking/hiking along them is you are often in the middle of the most recent route of flood waters as the walking is easier there (less debris, etc.).

 I don’t like the OSM mapping options but what I’ve settled on is a single way tagged as:

ford=yes
highway=track
intermittent=yes
surface=sand
waterway=stream

Some of the washes have names. Some of the tracks have names. Sometimes they both have names and occasionally the two names differ. I haven’t a solution for that.

It would be nice if there was a way to tag the intermittent flow as ephemeral but that has been “bike shedded” to death here before. I know/hope that anyone local will have a pretty good idea about whether or not there is likely to be water in the drainage (a summer cloudburst locally or in the adjacent higher ground) and be smart enough not to enter it for the couple of hours that a water event is likely to last.

Cheers!

Re: How to tag shared waterway highway

Joseph Eisenberg
> Sometimes they both have names and occasionally the two names differ. I haven’t a solution for that.

Two separate ways, sharing the same nodes.

On 09/12/18 02:50, Tod Fitch wrote:

> It would be nice if there was a way to tag the intermittent flow as ephemeral but that has been “bike shedded” to death here before. I know/hope that anyone local will have a pretty good idea about whether or not there is likely to be water in the drainage (a summer cloudburst locally or in the adjacent higher ground) and be smart enough not to enter it for the couple of hours that a water event is likely to last.

Simply start using it ...

ephemeral=yes

Many tags start without any discussion here.

Re: How to tag shared waterway highway

Michael Patrick
Similar to 'ice roads' in Canada and Siberia. Minnesota. In Oregon wet-sand portion of the state’s beaches have been set aside as a state highway. Not roads,but a trails, In Montana, with some access restrictions, one can traverse any property below the high watermark.

Michael Patrick