How to tag sidewalk slides

Alessandro Sarretta

Hi everybody,

I'm mapping various sidewalks and I'd like to tag the portion of the sidewalk that slides down from a higher level to the ground, and then maybe goes up again. This happens usually in correspondance with driveway entrances (how do you tag them?). You can see an example here https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/images/thumb/b/b9/Sidewalk_and_zebra-crossing.jpg/240px-Sidewalk_and_zebra-crossing.jpg

For wheelchair accessibility it would be important to characterize it with an incline tag: when the incline value its e.g. >5% the accessibility can be considered limited, and so on.

One of course could split the sidewalk for a 1 m section and assing a specific incline value to it; this might lead to a very fragmented way and sometimes it would be easier to simply add a node and assign an incline value to it. Even the simple information that there's a portion of the sidewalk not horizontal (without a specific value) can be useful.

I've thought about using a node on a footway=sidewalk with sidewalk=slide + incline=<value> or something similar.

I thought also about using the tag kerb, but in this case it isn't a real intersection with the road, so it doesn't seem to be appropriate to me.

Do you have any experience on that or suggestions?

Thank you in advance,

Ale

Re: How to tag sidewalk slides

Clifford Snow
I've run into a bunch of similar issues, where they just use asphalt to make an incline to the street level. I've been tagging them as kerb=lowered. It probably isn't exactly correct, but it does tell a wheelchair users that they can reach the street level. (Assuming the incline isn't too steep of course.)

From the image I couldn't tell what the inclined leads to. Is it just a wide shoulder or to another sidewalk? That may make a difference in how I'd map it.

Best,
Clifford

On Thu, May 16, 2019 at 4:01 PM Alessandro Sarretta <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

@osm_washington
OpenStreetMap: Maps with a human touch

Re: How to tag sidewalk slides

Nick Bolten
The amount of time someone spent at an incline is important for some pedestrians, so I'd use an option that splits the way and sets the incline tag.

sidewalk=slide might be related to a tag I've wanted for a while. I think I would personally call that a ramp, so maybe a use of a tag like ramp=yes would be worth discussing.

There's two big benefits I can name right away:

- It becomes easier to incrementally map l to armchair map these features. User A tags ramp=yes on a footways (armchair mappable), User B can then use a QA tool and add incline=up/down (armchair mappable), user C can add incline=a number (must map on-site).

- It becomes possible to distinguish infrastructure built as a ramp (like this slide or a wheelchair ramp) from any other segment of footway that just happens to be steep.

Does ramp=yes seem like an appropriate (hypothetical) tag for this situation?

On Thu, May 16, 2019, 4:02 PM Alessandro Sarretta <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Andy Townsend
... and there was me thinking that you were trying to tag something like
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-48259964 :)

Best Regards,

Andy

Re: How to tag sidewalk slides

Shu Higashi-2
Hi Ale,

You mean the travelling direction or across derection?
I once used incline:across for across direction:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/436823415
It's a bit thrilling experience even walking there ;)
https://www.mapillary.com/app/?pKey=3x_n1JSmCKeH9TUyECgL5A&focus=photo&lat=35.78085285&lng=139.93085187&z=17

I think max incline value of some segment would be enough for such as
wheelchair routing.

Shu

> ... and there was me thinking that you were trying to tag something like
> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-48259964 :)
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Andy

Re: How to tag sidewalk slides

Alessandro Sarretta

Hi Clifford,

On 17/05/19 01:37, Clifford Snow wrote:
I've run into a bunch of similar issues, where they just use asphalt to make an incline to the street level. I've been tagging them as kerb=lowered. It probably isn't exactly correct, but it does tell a wheelchair users that they can reach the street level. (Assuming the incline isn't too steep of course.)
from what I've understood form the wiki, kerb is more related to the intersection and, per se, it doesn't necessarily have an incline, but it can have a null (flush), minor (lowered) or high (raised) step. If we map an inclined segment as a way (and not as a node), the kerb should be assigned to one of its nodes, shouldn't it?
From the image I couldn't tell what the inclined leads to. Is it just a wide shoulder or to another sidewalk? That may make a difference in how I'd map it.

When the incliined segment leads to a crossing I'm ok with using kerb=lowered. I usually have problems when there are two consecutive short ramps along a sidewalk.

Ale

Re: How to tag sidewalk slides

Alessandro Sarretta

Thanks Nick,

On 17/05/19 01:47, Nick Bolten wrote:
[...]

I've assumed that ramp should be used only with some steps, but actually the definition in the wiki (https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:ramp) it's wider: " It's usually used on staircases".

To me it seems quite a useful option.

But would it be ok to use it on a node instead of a way segment?

Thanks,

Ale