How to tag when building present

Gavin Scott-272
In my area all the buildings have been drawn.

How do I tag the facilities located in those buildings?

Here are the options
  1. Create a point inside the polygon and tag that with the attributes of the fasciities/functions that operate within the building, say Hopsital, or Shop.
  2. Tag one of the nodes that form the building polygon with the services performed within. Perhaps one of the the entrance nodes.
  3. Tag the polygon line. (I think this is impossible as the line has already been tagged with the value building.
I should point out that all of these building polygons has been tagged with key=building

Another question. If one of these buildings conducts more than one function, say a bottleshop that also operates as a supermarket. these tags must appear on different nodes? One node one value I believe is the principal.

Re: How to tag when building present

Clifford Snow

On Fri, Dec 19, 2014 at 10:31 PM, Gavin Scott <[hidden email]> wrote:
In my area all the buildings have been drawn.

How do I tag the facilities located in those buildings?

Here are the options
  1. Create a point inside the polygon and tag that with the attributes of the fasciities/functions that operate within the building, say Hopsital, or Shop.
  2. Tag one of the nodes that form the building polygon with the services performed within. Perhaps one of the the entrance nodes.
  3. Tag the polygon line. (I think this is impossible as the line has already been tagged with the value building.
I should point out that all of these building polygons has been tagged with key=building

Just remember, you can always change the tag if it wrong or could be better described with a different feature.

I would recommend nodes tagged with individual features. For example, a nearby grocery store also has a coffee shop, run separately from the grocery, and a bank branch inside.  One option would be to tag the building with the grocery store with two separate nodes, one for the coffee shop and one for the bank. Additional tags could be added for ATMs, restrooms, etc. Another option is to leave the building as building=yes with separate tags for all the attributes.

My preference is based on the purpose of the building. If it a multiuse building, leave the building as just a polygon tagged building=yes. If the building was built for a specific amenity, such as grocery store or hospital, then tag it building=yes with other appropriate tags.

Another question. If one of these buildings conducts more than one function, say a bottleshop that also operates as a supermarket. these tags must appear on different nodes? One node one value I believe is the principal.

You can use semicolon separated values, for example shop=supermarket;alcohol. I tend to pick the one or the other, depending on what you think is it major feature. But either way is probably correct.

Good luck,
Clifford

--
@osm_seattle
OpenStreetMap: Maps with a human touch

Re: How to tag when building present

Michael Heißmeier-2

> Another question. If one of these buildings conducts more than one
> function, say a bottleshop that also operates as a supermarket. these tags
> must appear on different nodes? One node one value I believe is the
> principal.

You can use semicolon separated values, for example
shop=supermarket;alcohol. I tend to pick the one or the other, depending on
what you think is it major feature. But either way is probably correct.
Although this is correct in terms of the tagging system I personally tend to avoid this. We should never tag for an editor; however, different tag values separated by semicolons are rarely evaluated by any service using OSM data. You cannot expect such an object to be rendered on any map. For shops or other amenities with different functions I would always use different nodes. Regards Michael (osm:michael63)

Re: How to tag when building present

Andre Engels
On Sat, Dec 20, 2014 at 7:31 AM, Gavin Scott <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In my area all the buildings have been drawn.
>
> How do I tag the facilities located in those buildings?
>
> Here are the options
>
> Create a point inside the polygon and tag that with the attributes of the
> fasciities/functions that operate within the building, say Hopsital, or
> Shop.
> Tag one of the nodes that form the building polygon with the services
> performed within. Perhaps one of the the entrance nodes.
> Tag the polygon line. (I think this is impossible as the line has already
> been tagged with the value building.

This is perfectly possible. You cannot tag _the same key_ twice, but
you can have different ones. "building=yes" + "shop=bakery" is
perfectly valid.

> I should point out that all of these building polygons has been tagged with
> key=building

If you mean by this what is usually meant by it, we have a major
retagging to do. The way to tag a building is not "key=building", but
"building=yes"

To get back at your question: I would be against the second solution
(using one of the nodes of the polygon. The polygon, if everything is
correct, should denote the outer walls of the building. Only things
that are actually on that outer wall should get mapped on nodes of
that polygon. A shop would be extending into the building, so putting
it on the outer wall would be incorrect.

Putting it on the polygon would be correct if the shop and the
building are indeed 'the same thing'. That is, there is not something
else in another part of the building. Putting it on a node would
always be correct (unless it is already put correctly on the polygon).
My preference is not to put it at the entrance, but at the
(approximate) center of the actual shopping area.

> Another question. If one of these buildings conducts more than one function,
> say a bottleshop that also operates as a supermarket. these tags must appear
> on different nodes? One node one value I believe is the principal.

It depends on what you mean by 'also operates as'. If it is really
more like two shops in the same building, then put two nodes in. If it
is one shop with a somewhat odd combination of articles for sale,
choose one as the main one (a supermarket that has an extraordinarily
large bread section is still a supermarket, a place where bread is
baked and sold that also has a few shelves of other foodstuff is still
a bakery). If you really cannot choose, use the semicolon as described
in another answer, or consider it two separate shops and use two
nodes.

--
André Engels, [hidden email]

Re: How to tag when building present

omlashe
This post was updated on .
Used correctly, Instagram can be a highly-targeted, visual advertising channel for your brand. In fact, in a recent study it was discovered that Instagram provides brands with 25% more engagement over other social platforms. This mean that Instagram is a prime channel to build your brand for your ecommerce business.
etui samsung galaxy alpha coque samsung galaxy A5

Re: How to tag when building present

gretnel
Just remember, you can always change the tag if it wrong or could be better described with a different feature.

I would recommend nodes tagged with individual features. For example, a nearby grocery store also has a coffee shop, run separately from the grocery, and a bank branch inside.  One option would be to tag the building with the grocery store with two separate nodes, one for the coffee shop and one for the bank. Additional tags could be added for ATMs, restrooms, etc. Another option is to leave the building as building=yes with separate tags for all the attributes.

micromotori brushless | videocamera intraorale