I made my own administrative boarder for the City of Ipswich

I made my own administrative boarder for the City of Ipswich

Joel H.-2
Just letting the mailing list know that I decided to make my own
administrative boarder for the City of Ipswich.

You can see it here: https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/8348274

Sadly towards the south and west of Ipswich it was hard to work out
where the boarder truly is. If anyone has better local knowledge please
correct the way accuracy.

Re: I made my own administrative boarder for the City of Ipswich

Warin
On 04/06/18 16:16, Joel H. wrote:
> Just letting the mailing list know that I decided to make my own
> administrative boarder for the City of Ipswich.
>
> You can see it here: https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/8348274
>
> Sadly towards the south and west of Ipswich it was hard to work out
> where the boarder truly is. If anyone has better local knowledge please
> correct the way accuracy.

I would add the tag source= ... say something like 'personal knowledge, better local knowledge appreciated'.

That way if anyone comes across it they can decide for themselves if they wan to alter it.

By the way .. it is better to alter something to what you want rather than deleting the old and making a new,
that way people can track the history of the object backwards more easily .. and see what changes have been made.

Re: I made my own administrative boarder for the City of Ipswich

Warin
Errrr ... in your changeset you state
source=OSM Data, Local Knowledge, Wikipedia

Wikipedia is not allowed.. not comparable with OSM licensing.

How much of this changeset needs to be undone???

On 04/06/18 16:32, Warin wrote:

> On 04/06/18 16:16, Joel H. wrote:
>> Just letting the mailing list know that I decided to make my own
>> administrative boarder for the City of Ipswich.
>>
>> You can see it here: https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/8348274
>>
>> Sadly towards the south and west of Ipswich it was hard to work out
>> where the boarder truly is. If anyone has better local knowledge please
>> correct the way accuracy.
>>

> I would add the tag source= ... say something like 'personal
> knowledge, better local knowledge appreciated'.
>
> That way if anyone comes across it they can decide for themselves if
> they wan to alter it.
>
> By the way .. it is better to alter something to what you want rather
> than deleting the old and making a new,
> that way people can track the history of the object backwards more
> easily .. and see what changes have been made.

Re: I made my own administrative boarder for the City of Ipswich

Joel H.-2
I would add the tag source= ... say something like 'personal knowledge, better local knowledge appreciated'.

I will do this.

By the way .. it is better to alter something to what you want rather than deleting the old and making a new,
that way people can track the history of the object backwards more easily .. and see what changes have been made.

Sorry, I explained poorly. The old data was an unauthorised import, also
half of the way was missing.

How much of this changeset needs to be undone???

Probably none, since no data was copied from Wikipedia. I only used it
for research, to find which settlements came under Ipswich.

Re: I made my own administrative boarder for the City of Ipswich

Graeme Fitzpatrick
G'day Joel

Just had a look & Ipswich City Council do have an online map http://maps.ipswich.qld.gov.au/connect/analyst/?mapcfg=Boundaries, based, strangely enough, on something called OpenStreetMap! :-), & apparently using CC-BY-2.0 https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/

Maybe contact ICC re getting permission to use their map, so we can improve our map, which will in turn improve their map? :-)

Thanks

Graeme