IMG files getting corrupted?

EthnicFood IsGreat

I want to post a problem I’m hoping someone can give me advice for.

I download the state where I live (Indiana) from Geofabrik and Splitter splits it into four parts.  For a long time when I used Mkgmap to create a gmapsupp.img file, it worked perfectly.  However, lately when I perform the process, part of the file doesn’t display on my Edge 810.  What it boils down to is one or more of the four parts of the original file that Splitter created are not displaying.  The parts that do display, display perfectly.  My GPS shows a crosshatched background where the missing data should be, so it “knows” there should be something there, but for some reason it is unable to display it.  All four of the individual IMG files that Mkgmap creates when it runs display correctly in GPSMapEdit, as does the finished gmapsupp.img file.  But there is something about it my GPS doesn’t like.

I upgraded to the latest versions of Splitter and Mkgmap, but it didn’t help.  I ran a comparison on the file on my PC and the one on my GPS, to make sure the file is being copied correctly, and the files compared okay.  Windows reports no errors on the SD card in my GPS, where the file is located.  I have repeated the entire process, including re-downloading the data from Geofabrik; no luck.

I have to conclude there is something in the data that Mkgmap is choking on.  Is there a Mkgmap option that might fix the problem?  Advice?

Mark Bradley

Re: IMG files getting corrupted?

popej
Hi Mark,

common reason for missing tiles are duplicate mapname (map ID). If you
have multiple maps on your GPS and some tiles get the same mapname, then
GPS process only one of these tiles and ignore any others.

You set mapname in mkgmap with option --mapname. Or you set it in
splitter option --mapid. If you miss these options, then mkgmap takes
default value 63240001, which easily can lead to described problems.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej