ISO3166 on GB admin boundaries

cquest
Hello dear GB neighbours (I'm from the other side of the channel, the froggy side).

In order to simplify data reuse, I've started adding ISO3166-2 codes to admin boundaries in many countries.
It as been quite easy on many, but GB is a complex case as there is a mix of different admin_level (4/6/8) matching ISO3166-2.

Here is the full list available on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_3166-2:GB

As you can see, in addition to England/Scotland/Wales and Northern Ireland, there are 200+ ISO codes for subdivisions currently in admin_level 6 or 8 (like Manchester).

You can also have an overview of admin_level coverage using: http://layers.openstreetmap.fr/?zoom=8&lat=53.67415&lon=-1.8223&layers=00B00FFFFFFFFFFTFFFFFFFFFF

Is anyone interested in adding the ISO codes to the corresponding admin_level relations ?
Christian Quest from OpenStreetMap France
Christian Quest - cquest@openstreetmap.fr

Re: ISO3166 on GB admin boundaries

Tom Chance-2
Christian,

I'd be happy to add some of these, what is the tagging schema?

Tom

On 10 October 2013 15:42, cquest <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

-----
Christian Quest - [hidden email]

http://tom.acrewoods.net   http://twitter.com/tom_chance

Re: ISO3166 on GB admin boundaries

Colin Smale

That sounds like a very valid thing to do. I would be happy to help. I've been working on UK admin boundaries for some time now and have a good view of how it hangs together. To start with I could make a table to map the OSM boundary relation IDs to the ISO3166 values.

Colin

Simply add ISO3166-2=* to the relation, and the mapping will be done ;)
Christian Quest - cquest@openstreetmap.fr

Re: ISO3166 on GB admin boundaries

cquest
You can also add FIPS and NUTS code at the same time... but they may not match the same area.

I must admit that up to now I've not been able to understand GB administrative subdivisions ;)

I assume that should be in lower case, as per http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:iso3166-2

On 2013-10-10 17:02, cquest wrote:

Simply add ISO3166-2=* to the relation, and the mapping will be done ;)

-----
Christian Quest - [hidden email]

Re: ISO3166 on GB admin boundaries

Ed Loach-2
Colin wrote:

> I assume that should be in lower case, as per
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:iso3166-2

It seems you can take your pick...
http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/search?q=3166

Perhaps a secondary task could be making usage consistent ;)

Ed

Re: ISO3166 on GB admin boundaries

Andy Street
On Thu, 10 Oct 2013 07:42:26 -0700 (PDT)
cquest <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello dear GB neighbours (I'm from the other side of the channel, the
> froggy side).

Bonjour.

> In order to simplify data reuse, I've started adding ISO3166-2 codes
> to admin boundaries in many countries.
> It as been quite easy on many, but GB is a complex case as there is a
> mix of different admin_level (4/6/8) matching ISO3166-2.

Perhaps someone in the know could clarify but I was under the
impression that ISO liked to exercise copyright on their standards in
order to fund their work. How did we end up with the full ISO3166-2
under such a permissive licence?

Andy Street

Re: ISO3166 on GB admin boundaries

Nick Whitelegg-2

They used to be simple, now they're somewhat more complex thanks to unitary authorities.

Prior to sometime in the nineties, we used to have the countries (England, Scotland, Wales) separated into counties (e.g. Hampshire, West Sussex etc) or metropolitan counties (Greater London, Greater Manchester etc) and then each county comprised a series of districts or boroughs.

Now we have unitary authorities, these perform the functions of both counties and districts - a unitary authority is typically a former district or borough which has taken on all the county functions, so that the county council is no longer responsible for anything in that area.

It's a little hard to map onto the French system but at a guess, a county is intermediate in importance between a French region and department.

Nick

Re: ISO3166 on GB admin boundaries

Rob Nickerson
How would I deal with a subdivision that has multiple codes? For example in Wales, we have both GB-CRF and GB-CRD for Cardiff (Caerdydd) - one code for English language, and another code for Welsh. How to tag this?

Regards,
Rob

Re: ISO3166 on GB admin boundaries

cquest
The ISO3166 value for Cardiff is GB-CRF

GB-CRD come from BS 6879 as explained in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_3166-2:GB#Current_codes

You may consider having some other tag for BS6879, like ref:BS6879=GB-CRD
Christian Quest - cquest@openstreetmap.fr

Re: ISO3166 on GB admin boundaries

Robert Scott
Dragging this back up...

On Thursday 10 October 2013, cquest wrote:

It's still possible to see my slightly aborted attempt at adding ONS codes to relations a few years ago - this was made more difficult by the ONS deciding to change their coding scheme (to something equally incomprehensible) during the process.

For anyone interested in the finer points of trying to _use_ uk admin boundary relation data from osm, I recommend watching Iain Elder's talk from SotM Scotland:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pwcC20f_sM#t=33m30s

robert.