Idea for improving mapping system

TheAdventurer64
Hello everyone,

A user and I were talking about implementing a system for better mapping, as described here:
This addition would have many benefits, including:
* More mapping. We have tons of new mappers each day, as well as a great editor for them. However, many of these new mappers leave after just a few edits. Examples:

Re: Idea for improving mapping system

Maarten Deen
+1

I'm sorry if I sound a little paranoid, but somone with an email address
of little.banana.peel and calling him TheAdventurer64 and asking people
to read something for which they have to log in to with a google account
does not give the feel for a solid foundation for a discussion.

Regards,
Maarten

On 2020-10-18 06:02, Joseph Eisenberg wrote:

> Would you mind describing the proposed system here, in a concise form?
>
> On Sat, Oct 17, 2020 at 7:36 PM TheAdventurer64
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> A user and I were talking about implementing a system for better
>> mapping, as described here:
>> https://osmus.slack.com/archives/C029HV951/p1602968516431900
>> This addition would have many benefits, including:
>> * More mapping. We have tons of new mappers each day, as well as a
>> great editor for them. However, many of these new mappers leave
>> after just a few edits. Examples:
>> https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/lukastheg03
>>
>> https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Th3Roomi3

Re: Idea for improving mapping system

General Discussion mailing list
Out of topic content. There is discussions about being more welcoming on this list, along with being open to other communications channels. Even with that in mind, I must admit I hadn't logged in or subscribed to slack to check on the discussion while the topic may be of interest.
By any means, this does not mean that the idea or discussion is not worth it, especially if volunteers are involved in such a project, and I would not request anything that would refrain them to go forward.
I'm sure I will hear about it sooner or later.
Yves

Le 18 octobre 2020 08:38:16 GMT+02:00, Maarten Deen <[hidden email]> a écrit :
+1

I'm sorry if I sound a little paranoid, but somone with an email address
of little.banana.peel and calling him TheAdventurer64 and asking people
to read something for which they have to log in to with a google account
does not give the feel for a solid foundation for a discussion.

Regards,
Maarten

Doocracy | Re: Idea for improving mapping system

ebel
Like mnany things in OSM, the reason it hasn't been done is because no-one has actually done it yet. It looks like other people find your idea of "levels" and "badges" interesting, so you should try attempt it yourself.

On Sun, 18 Oct 2020, at 4:31 AM, TheAdventurer64 wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> A user and I were talking about implementing a system for better
> mapping, as described here:
> https://osmus.slack.com/archives/C029HV951/p1602968516431900
> This addition would have many benefits, including:
> * More mapping. We have tons of new mappers each day, as well as a
> great editor for them. However, many of these new mappers leave after
> just a few edits. Examples:
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/lukastheg03
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Th3Roomi3

Re: Doocracy | Re: Idea for improving mapping system

SimonPoole

Am 18.10.2020 um 11:07 schrieb Rory McCann:
> Like mnany things in OSM, the reason it hasn't been done is because no-one has actually done it yet. It looks like other people find your idea of "levels" and "badges" interesting, so you should try attempt it yourself.

Like many things in OSM, the reason that it isn't being done, is because
it has been tried and has failed. It looks like that other people don't
find the idea of "levels" and "badges" interesting, so you shouldn't
attempt it again.

> On Sun, 18 Oct 2020, at 4:31 AM, TheAdventurer64 wrote:
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> A user and I were talking about implementing a system for better
>> mapping, as described here:
>> https://osmus.slack.com/archives/C029HV951/p1602968516431900
>> This addition would have many benefits, including:
>> * More mapping. We have tons of new mappers each day, as well as a
>> great editor for them. However, many of these new mappers leave after
>> just a few edits. Examples:
>> https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/lukastheg03
>> https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Th3Roomi3

OpenPGP_0x4721711092E282EA.asc (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Doocracy | Re: Idea for improving mapping system

Colin Smale

On 2020-10-18 15:04, Simon Poole wrote:

Am 18.10.2020 um 11:07 schrieb Rory McCann:
Like mnany things in OSM, the reason it hasn't been done is because no-one has actually done it yet. It looks like other people find your idea of "levels" and "badges" interesting, so you should try attempt it yourself.

Like many things in OSM, the reason that it isn't being done, is because it has been tried and has failed. It looks like that other people don't find the idea of "levels" and "badges" interesting, so you shouldn't attempt it again.

...unless either the proposal, or the circumstances, have changed in some significant way, or unless a substantial period of time has passed. Never say never.

On 2020-10-18 15:04, Simon Poole wrote:

Am 18.10.2020 um 11:07 schrieb Rory McCann:
Like mnany things in OSM, the reason it hasn't been done is because no-one has actually done it yet. It looks like other people find your idea of "levels" and "badges" interesting, so you should try attempt it yourself.

Like many things in OSM, the reason that it isn't being done, is because it has been tried and has failed. It looks like that other people don't find the idea of "levels" and "badges" interesting, so you shouldn't attempt it again.

...unless either the proposal, or the circumstances, have changed in some significant way, or unless a substantial period of time has passed. Never say never.

Agreed, but the point was that there is 16 years of OSM-history in which most stuff from the 5-minute (community) manager has been tried in one way or the other, and there are reasons, which might need to be re-evaluated if things have significantly changed, why things are not being done, -not- that they simply hasn't been tried.

OpenPGP_0x4721711092E282EA.asc (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Idea for improving mapping system

General Discussion mailing list
All the OSM 'leaderboard' sites I've seen are based on quantity.
OSM needs more quality mappers.

There's a page which tabled the number of changesets created by individual contributors per day/week/month. I believe this led to a few anal retentives quickly creating one changeset for every couple of amendments. desperate to stay a the top of the list.  Not only does this speed editing create errors , it meant validation was even harder than having one changeset over a large area.

 DaveF