Importing DEM from USGS seamless server

Scott W McCoy
Hi,
I am having trouble importing DEMs from the USGS seamless server.  I was trying to use the r.in.gdal GUI and console command on both the Arcinfo  and GeoTIFF file types.

for example
grass r.in.gdal location=CollegateRange in=/Users/scottmccoy/Desktop/SWMresearch/CO_ChalkCliffs/CollegateRangeDEM/w001001.adf out=collDEM
ERROR 4: `/Users/scottmccoy/Desktop/SWMresearch/CO_ChalkCliffs/CollegateRangeDEM/w001001.adf' not recognised as a supported file format.

using the GUI on the GeoTIFF
ERROR 4: `/Users/scottmccoy/Desktop/SWMresearch/CO_ChalkCliffs/CollegateRangeDEM/06888070/06888070/06888070.tif' does not exist in the file system,
and is not recognised as a supported dataset name.

The only way I have successfully imported a DEM was by first loading it in ARC and exporting the raster as an ascii. Then using the import esri ascii gui operation.

One aditional question:
Is there an easy way to make a hillshade from a DEM?

thanks for the help!
Scott

Scott W McCoy
Graduate Student
307-699-2375
Department of Geological Sciences
University of Colorado
Campus Box 399
2200 Colorado Ave.
Boulder, CO 80309-0399

Re: Importing DEM from USGS seamless server

Andrea Antonello
Hi Scott,

> I am having trouble importing DEMs from the USGS seamless server.  I was
> trying to use the r.in.gdal GUI and console command on both the Arcinfo  and
> GeoTIFF file types.
> for example
> grass r.in.gdal location=CollegateRange
> in=/Users/scottmccoy/Desktop/SWMresearch/CO_ChalkCliffs/CollegateRangeDEM/w001001.adf
> out=collDEM
> ERROR 4:
> `/Users/scottmccoy/Desktop/SWMresearch/CO_ChalkCliffs/CollegateRangeDEM/w001001.adf'
> not recognised as a supported file format.

if I recall correctly the file to use should be the one with the X, so
I guess you should have something like: w001001x.adf
Try that and let us know.

> using the GUI on the GeoTIFF
> ERROR 4:
> `/Users/scottmccoy/Desktop/SWMresearch/CO_ChalkCliffs/CollegateRangeDEM/06888070/06888070/06888070.tif'
> does not exist in the file system,
> and is not recognised as a supported dataset name.

Not sure what you are doing here.

> The only way I have successfully imported a DEM was by first loading it in
> ARC and exporting the raster as an ascii. Then using the import esri ascii
> gui operation.
> One aditional question:
> Is there an easy way to make a hillshade from a DEM?

You can use from the console:
http://grass.osgeo.org/grass64/manuals/html64_user/r.shaded.relief.html

Ciao
Andrea

> thanks for the help!
> Scott
> Scott W McCoy
> Graduate Student
> 307-699-2375
> Department of Geological Sciences
> University of Colorado
> Campus Box 399
> 2200 Colorado Ave.
> Boulder, CO 80309-0399

Re: Importing DEM from USGS seamless server

Scott W McCoy
Andrea,
I tried using the w001001x.adf file and still get the same error.  I think I'm doing exactly what this doc page says to do yet it is not working. Ideas?

Related to the shaded relief map, I must have something crossed in my paths since I get this error
default.jgrass(27) : error E3105: missing native model identifier before 'r.shaded.relief'.
 using this line.
grass r.shaded.relief --help
Many other native grass commands seem to work ie when I type grass r. auto complete gives me a large list of options.
thanks again,
Scott
Scott W McCoy
Graduate Student
307-699-2375
Department of Geological Sciences
University of Colorado
Campus Box 399
2200 Colorado Ave.
Boulder, CO 80309-0399

On Sep 2, 2009, at 1:44 AM, andrea antonello wrote:

Hi Scott,

[...]

sorry for late reply, I have been abroad.

> I tried using the w001001x.adf file and still get the same error.  I think
> I'm doing exactly what this doc page says to do yet it is not working.
> Ideas?

On this not really, we imported many of those without problems in the
past. Perhaps Silvia has some idea, she played with those formats more
than I did.

> http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/HOWTO_import_USGS_elevation_data
> Related to the shaded relief map, I must have something crossed in my paths
> since I get this error
> default.jgrass(27) : error E3105: missing native model identifier before
> 'r.shaded.relief'.

Outch, this seems to have something to do with the path.
Does the ..../grass-6.3.0/ contain a folder bin and inside that a
command r.shaded.relief?

Ciao
Andrea

>  using this line.
> grass r.shaded.relief --help
> Many other native grass commands seem to work ie when I type grass r. auto
> complete gives me a large list of options.
> thanks again,
> Scott
> Scott W McCoy
> Graduate Student
> 307-699-2375
> Department of Geological Sciences
> University of Colorado
> Campus Box 399
> 2200 Colorado Ave.
> Boulder, CO 80309-0399
> On Sep 2, 2009, at 1:44 AM, andrea antonello wrote:
>
> Hi Scott,
>
> I am having trouble importing DEMs from the USGS seamless server.  I was
>
> trying to use the r.in.gdal GUI and console command on both the Arcinfo  and
>
> GeoTIFF file types.
>
> for example
>
> grass r.in.gdal location=CollegateRange
>
> in=/Users/scottmccoy/Desktop/SWMresearch/CO_ChalkCliffs/CollegateRangeDEM/w001001.adf
>
> out=collDEM
>
> ERROR 4:
>
> `/Users/scottmccoy/Desktop/SWMresearch/CO_ChalkCliffs/CollegateRangeDEM/w001001.adf'
>
> not recognised as a supported file format.
>
> if I recall correctly the file to use should be the one with the X, so
> I guess you should have something like: w001001x.adf
> Try that and let us know.
>
> using the GUI on the GeoTIFF
>
> ERROR 4:
>
> `/Users/scottmccoy/Desktop/SWMresearch/CO_ChalkCliffs/CollegateRangeDEM/06888070/06888070/06888070.tif'
>
> does not exist in the file system,
>
> and is not recognised as a supported dataset name.
>
> Not sure what you are doing here.
>
> The only way I have successfully imported a DEM was by first loading it in
>
> ARC and exporting the raster as an ascii. Then using the import esri ascii
>
> gui operation.
>
> One aditional question:
>
> Is there an easy way to make a hillshade from a DEM?
>
> You can use from the console:
> http://grass.osgeo.org/grass64/manuals/html64_user/r.shaded.relief.html
>
> Ciao
> Andrea
>

> thanks for the help!
>
> Scott
>
> Scott W McCoy
>
> Graduate Student
>
> 307-699-2375
>
> Department of Geological Sciences
>
> University of Colorado
>
> Campus Box 399
>
> 2200 Colorado Ave.
>
> Boulder, CO 80309-0399

Re: Importing DEM from USGS seamless server

Silvia Franceschi-2
Hi Scott,
so I have no idea on what is wrong in what you are doing.
First of all, did you try your GRASS installation? does it work properly?
Could you please send me the full string you are executing to import the
USGS data?
On the other hand for r.shaded.relief, could you please run GRASS once
and check if the command is present in your GRASS installation or not?
Did you try to execute
grass r.info --help
what happens?

If you send me these informations I could be probably of better help

Silvia

Scott W McCoy wrote:

> Andrea,
> I tried using the w001001x.adf file and still get the same error.  I
> think I'm doing exactly what this doc page says to do yet it is not
> working. Ideas?
> http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/HOWTO_import_USGS_elevation_data
>
> Related to the shaded relief map, I must have something crossed in my
> paths since I get this error
> default.jgrass(27) : error E3105: missing native model identifier
> before 'r.shaded.relief'.
>  using this line.
> grass r.shaded.relief --help
> Many other native grass commands seem to work ie when I type grass r.
> auto complete gives me a large list of options.

Re: Importing DEM from USGS seamless server

Scott W McCoy
Andrea and Silvia,
About the Hillshade:
.../grass-6.3.0/bin does not contain r.shaded.relief.  This file is in ../grass-6.3.0/scripts and seems like the reason for the error.

The not ideal work around that got the script  to work:
Copy the grass script r.shaded.relief from the GrassGIS.app/Contents/Resources/app/grass-6.3.0/scripts folder into the GrassGIS.app/Contents/Resources/app/grass-6.3.0/bin folder
Then add the command r.shaded.relief into the nativegrass.xml file found in .../jgrass/plugins/eu.hydrologis.jgrass.console_1.0.0/rt

Once the above was done the command r.shaded.relief turned blue in the console and works properly ... just like all other  grass commands (e.g r.info) in the .../bin folder.

About USGS seamless server data:
grass installation seems to be working fine.
The fullstring used to import:
grass r.in.gdal location=ChalkCliffs in=/Users/scottmccoy/Desktop/ChalkArea/w001001.adf
throws error: ERROR 4:  ... not recognised as a supported file format.

I tried downloading data as a GeoTif instead of as an ArcGrid and imported the data using
grass r.in.gdal location=ChalkCliffs in=/Users/scottmccoy/Desktop/ChalkAreaGeoTiff/ChalkArea.tif out=dem -eout=dem -e
and this worked fine. I then added a wks.jgrass into the location folder created by r.in.gdal, dropped the location folder into the catalog, was asked to give the CRS and now have a working DEM. So maybe something has changed with the .adf file given by USGS seamless that .gdal doesn't like.

cheers,

On Sep 6, 2009, at 2:04 AM, andrea antonello wrote:

[...]

That's fine Scott,
the only thing I would add is that the JGrass hydro-geomorphological tools do not work with long-lat projection but only with metric projection. If you wanto to use them so you should reproject your DEM in a valid metric projection.

best of luck
Silvia