Improving the map of Walikale - Walking Papers

Improving the map of Walikale - Walking Papers

Frédéric Bonifas
Hi,

Following the baseline mapping of Walikale in DR Congo, the ICRC has
asked their local team to report missing information, such as street
names or POIs. The result is a set of Walking Papers to work on.
If you are interested in participating, I have added the details on
the Walikale wiki page : http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Walikale

Uploads and very slow on Walking Papers yesterday and today, and I
only managed to upload the first three. The following ones will
hopefully be uploaded this weekend : I will update the wikipage and
post back here once everything is uploaded.

Please ask if you have any question.

Best

Fred

--
Frédéric Bonifas
+33672652807 skype:fredericbonifas

Re: Improving the map of Walikale - Walking Papers

nicolas chavent
Fred,

Thanks for the post. It's great to see the relation developing with ICRC from remote mapping on sat imagery to this current first interaction with Red Cross volunteers on the ground through Walking papers. I'd like to add that ICRC is also considering and preparing in Walikale to carry out edits on the ground which is particularly exciting. In addition to this, Guensmork, Judith (Communaute OpenStreetMap Hatii), Kenelson (Saint-Marc mappers), Jean-Guilhem and I (HOT) met with French and Haitian Red Cross in Veyrette (Artibonite/ Haiti) to discuss on the ground support to their teams involved in Water and Sanitation as well as DRR activities in Bas Artibonite. There is a great potential for both HOT/ OSM and the Red Cross in this given the dual nature of both voluntary movements and also organizations.

Nico

2012/3/23 Frédéric Bonifas <[hidden email]>
Hi,

Following the baseline mapping of Walikale in DR Congo, the ICRC has
asked their local team to report missing information, such as street
names or POIs. The result is a set of Walking Papers to work on.
If you are interested in participating, I have added the details on
the Walikale wiki page : http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Walikale

Uploads and very slow on Walking Papers yesterday and today, and I
only managed to upload the first three. The following ones will
hopefully be uploaded this weekend : I will update the wikipage and
post back here once everything is uploaded.

Please ask if you have any question.

Best

Fred

--
Frédéric Bonifas

Nicolas Chavent
Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team
http://hot.openstreetmap.org/weblog/
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_Haiti
Mobile (Haiti): +509 4617 3334
Mobile (FRA): +33 (0)6 52 40 78 20
Email: [hidden email]
Email: [hidden email]
Skype: c_nicolas
Twitter: nicolas_chavent

Re: Improving the map of Walikale - Walking Papers

Frédéric Bonifas

All the Walking-Papers have now been uploaded, and many already used
to update the map. It looks nice ! http://osm.org/go/l1v~PxEKC-

Best

Fred

Le 23 mars 2012 17:44, Frédéric Bonifas <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> Following the baseline mapping of Walikale in DR Congo, the ICRC has
> asked their local team to report missing information, such as street
> names or POIs. The result is a set of Walking Papers to work on.
> If you are interested in participating, I have added the details on
> the Walikale wiki page : http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Walikale
>
> Uploads and very slow on Walking Papers yesterday and today, and I
> only managed to upload the first three. The following ones will
> hopefully be uploaded this weekend : I will update the wikipage and
> post back here once everything is uploaded.
>
> Please ask if you have any question.
>
> Best
>
> Fred
>
> --
> Frédéric Bonifas
> +33672652807 skype:fredericbonifas

--
Frédéric Bonifas
+33672652807 skype:fredericbonifas

Re: Improving the map of Walikale - Walking Papers

Michal Migurski
It might be worth talking to Steve Chilton about line weights in the central latitudes. The universal line weights we use for each zoom level are designed to look correct up in the 30s, 40s, and 50s, but exceedingly fat closer to the equator.

-mike.

On Mar 29, 2012, at 8:01 AM, Frédéric Bonifas wrote:

> Hi,
>
> All the Walking-Papers have now been uploaded, and many already used
> to update the map. It looks nice ! http://osm.org/go/l1v~PxEKC-
>
> Best
>
> Fred
>
> Le 23 mars 2012 17:44, Frédéric Bonifas <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>> Hi,
>>
>> Following the baseline mapping of Walikale in DR Congo, the ICRC has
>> asked their local team to report missing information, such as street
>> names or POIs. The result is a set of Walking Papers to work on.
>> If you are interested in participating, I have added the details on
>> the Walikale wiki page : http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Walikale
>>
>> Uploads and very slow on Walking Papers yesterday and today, and I
>> only managed to upload the first three. The following ones will
>> hopefully be uploaded this weekend : I will update the wikipage and
>> post back here once everything is uploaded.
>>
>> Please ask if you have any question.
>>
>> Best
>>
>> Fred
>>
>> --
>> Frédéric Bonifas
>> +33672652807 skype:fredericbonifas
>

> --
> Frédéric Bonifas
> +33672652807 skype:fredericbonifas

Re: Improving the map of Walikale - Walking Papers

Frédéric Bonifas

All the information available on the Walking Papers has been
integrated into OSM.
You can read this document on the ICRC website, talking about this
collaboration and the usefulness of the data acquired :
http://www.icrc.org/eng/resources/documents/interview/2012/mapping-interview-2012-04-05.htm

Best