Indian fonts in openSUSE 11.2

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Indian fonts in openSUSE 11.2

Anton Kalmykov
I have problem with Indian fonts in openSuSE 11.2. What can I try? The picture
is attached.

_______________________________________________
Tilesathome mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/tilesathome

tile_14_3_3.png (3K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Indian fonts in openSUSE 11.2

pavithran
On 18/09/2010, Anton Kalmykov <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have problem with Indian fonts in openSuSE 11.2. What can I try? The picture
>  is attached.

I am sorry , I actually gave a thought for opensuse but didn't include
the line for fonts in the install guide .
Opensuse has more or less been refused by the indian community ( a
general opinion after the Novell - MS deal ) hence no one even
bothered to volunteer for packaging the  indic ( indian ) fonts  .
This is happening despite Novell having a technical office at
Bangalore :(

so the soution is
http://rbhalera.fedorapeople.org/released/lohit/lohit-fonts-2.3.8.tar.gz

Download the tar package and install the fonts in it . It contains all
indic language fonts .  Once you install it I assure you even if
deelkar writes tests for all indic languages it will pass the font
test !

The image( font test of "khammam" in telugu and hindi ) you are
showing passed telugu but failed hindi test . Sorry again for giving a
tar file . I wish someone packages indic fonts in opensuse .

Regards,
Pavithran

--
pavithran sakamuri
http://look-pavi.blogspot.com

_______________________________________________
Tilesathome mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/tilesathome
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Indian fonts in openSUSE 11.2

Anton Kalmykov
In reply to this post by Anton Kalmykov
> On 18/09/2010, Anton Kalmykov <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I have problem with Indian fonts in openSuSE 11.2. What can I try? The
> > picture
> >
> >  is attached.
>
> I am sorry , I actually gave a thought for opensuse but didn't include
> the line for fonts in the install guide .
> Opensuse has more or less been refused by the indian community ( a
> general opinion after the Novell - MS deal ) hence no one even
> bothered to volunteer for packaging the  indic ( indian ) fonts  .
> This is happening despite Novell having a technical office at
> Bangalore :(
>
> so the soution is
> http://rbhalera.fedorapeople.org/released/lohit/lohit-fonts-2.3.8.tar.gz
>
> Download the tar package and install the fonts in it . It contains all
> indic language fonts .  Once you install it I assure you even if
> deelkar writes tests for all indic languages it will pass the font
> test !
>
> The image( font test of "khammam" in telugu and hindi ) you are
> showing passed telugu but failed hindi test . Sorry again for giving a
> tar file . I wish someone packages indic fonts in opensuse .
>
> Regards,
> Pavithran

Thanks for reply, Pavithran!
These fonts are included in "indic-fonts" package in openSUSE already (also I
found there some other Indian fonts). In spite of this, I have removed this
package, then installed fonts from lohit-fonts-2.3.8.tar.gz, but the problem
unfortunately still remains. And I think that inkscape renders this fonts
incorrectly, because in other applications fonts looks well (see attached
screenshots).
When I try to create (in inkscape) simple SVG with text field and paste there  
sample text (source is ./test/fonttest_12_0_0.osm) from kwrite, it's ok. But
when I try to open SVG file, generated by runTests.pl script, I have the same
problem. Please check these files in your system and tell me about results.
Thanks!

Anton

---
Screenshots:
http://www.image-share.com/ipng-364-67.html
http://www.image-share.com/ipng-364-68.html

SVG and OSM files (.tar.bz2):
http://www.sendspace.com/file/oj0slj

_______________________________________________
Tilesathome mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/tilesathome
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Indian fonts in openSUSE 11.2

pavithran
On 20 September 2010 20:07, Anton Kalmykov
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> When I try to create (in inkscape) simple SVG with text field and paste there
> sample text (source is ./test/fonttest_12_0_0.osm) from kwrite, it's ok. But
> when I try to open SVG file, generated by runTests.pl script, I have the same
> problem. Please check these files in your system and tell me about results.
> Thanks!

Yeah looked at your files .
Its strange . Inkscape is not using proper hindi font for some weird
reason !  Kwrite on the same machine is using proper hindi font and is
displaying it correctly .

Hence the problem will be solved if inkscape recognises the installed
font ( How did you install it ? )

I guess deelkar who has written the tests might help you in this regard .

Regards,
Pavithran

--
pavithran sakamuri
http://look-pavi.blogspot.com

_______________________________________________
Tilesathome mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/tilesathome
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Indian fonts in openSUSE 11.2

Dirk-Lüder Kreie
Am 20.09.2010 18:39, schrieb pavithran:

> On 20 September 2010 20:07, Anton Kalmykov
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> When I try to create (in inkscape) simple SVG with text field and paste there
>> sample text (source is ./test/fonttest_12_0_0.osm) from kwrite, it's ok. But
>> when I try to open SVG file, generated by runTests.pl script, I have the same
>> problem. Please check these files in your system and tell me about results.
>> Thanks!
>
> Yeah looked at your files .
> Its strange . Inkscape is not using proper hindi font for some weird
> reason !  Kwrite on the same machine is using proper hindi font and is
> displaying it correctly .
>
> Hence the problem will be solved if inkscape recognises the installed
> font ( How did you install it ? )
>
> I guess deelkar who has written the tests might help you in this regard .
I have no idea how Suse treats this, because Suse always do their own
thing with respect to configuration, and I personally switched away from
using it since SuSE-7.3. I have checked back recently, but it's still
very...odd, to put it mildly.

So I can't help you and don't have the resources (time, motivation,...)
to look into it, sorry.

--

Dirk-Lüder "Deelkar" Kreie
Bremen - 53.0901°N 8.7868°E


_______________________________________________
Tilesathome mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/tilesathome

signature.asc (268 bytes) Download Attachment