International mapping getting together day

International mapping getting together day

Andrew Hain

Any interest in organising a distributed mapping party where we get together round the world, attracting armchair mappers who havent experienced field mapping or just people with a casual interest? It could be a chance to promote ourselves as the full extent of our project or we could have a particular topic that we attract mapping of.

This would take a little time to get organised, maybe even into 2017.

--

Andrew

Re: International mapping getting together day

Michael Reichert
Hi Andrew,

Am 2016-09-30 um 21:43 schrieb Andrew Hain:
> Any interest in organising a distributed mapping party where we get together round the world, attracting armchair mappers who haven't experienced field mapping or just people with a casual interest? It could be a chance to promote ourselves as the full extent of our project or we could have a particular topic that we attract mapping of.

user !i! organized The Night of the Living Maps on 7th February 2012 [1]
and Operation Cowboy on 23–25th November 2012 [2]. Both were remote
mapping events—we call them nowadays (and even at that time) "mapathons".

> This would take a little time to get organised, maybe even into 2017.

A date during late spring, summer or early autumn (i.e. May until
September) is best because that's the time when there is good weather in
the areas were most of the mapping population lives. (I know that there
are also mappers in India, Africa, Latin America etc.)

Do you know that annual OSM birthday is the date every year which is
good (but not best) for such a distributed event? It is not the best
date because in some countries there are holidays in August.

Best regards

Michael

[1] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Night_of_the_living_maps
[2] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Operation_Cowboy

Re: International mapping getting together day

Tyler Radford
Hi Andrew, not quite sure this is what you were thinking, but "OSM Geography Awareness Week" will be held 13-19 November this year. We're aiming to get 100 mapathons going around the world during that week: http://osmgeoweek.org/

Would encourage you (and all of us) to think about hosting or helping with an event in your area.

Best
Tyler

Tyler Radford
Executive Director
@TylerSRadford

Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team
Using OpenStreetMap for Humanitarian Response & Economic Development