Introducing SwiftAddress, an highly efficient way of collecting housenumbers

Introducing SwiftAddress, an highly efficient way of collecting housenumbers

General Discussion mailing list
Hello openstreetmap community,

I have been writing an android application that should make it significantly easier to collect housenumbers.

Now, finally, I have released an apk on Github (you'll find it under the "assets" tab):

Make sure you check the releases page because I'll be releasing updates that improve functionality and fix bugs.

I have written about the app in more detail in my diary entry:

The app starts up as a simple OSMdroid map. The way you place housenumbers is by moving the crosshair (which is in the middle of the screen) above the building outline of the housenumber you are trying to map. You then add the housenumber using the keypad.

The advantage of this is that the housenumbers are already in the right place when surveying. There is no need to clean up the messy data (like with Keypad Mapper 3) or draw housenumbers (like with Streetcomplete). All that needs to be done is to load the data into JOSM and then upload. (In the future direct upload might be supported).

Of course, most times building outlines aren't drawn in OSM, so you can't tell from OSM imagery where the postition of the building/house is. For this I plan on implementing satellite background imageries into the app, so that you can use that to find the position of the house. (I need to know how to implement that first, however, and what imagery/tms I can use)

You can also has a few more features, for example, auto-incrementing, and the ability to take notes. I have described the app in more detail in the diary entry.

Thanks,
IpswichMapper

Re: Introducing SwiftAddress, an highly efficient way of collecting housenumbers

General Discussion mailing list

Jan 22, 2021, 12:25 by [hidden email]:
For this I plan on implementing satellite background imageries into the app, so that you can use that to find the position of the house. (I need to know how to implement that first, however, and what imagery/tms I can use)

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Bing_Maps#Bing_Aerial_Imagery

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Esri#Using_Esri_imagery_in_editors

https://github.com/osmlab/editor-layer-index

JOSM also has its own list

Re: Introducing SwiftAddress, an highly efficient way of collecting housenumbers

> On 22 Jan 2021, at 12:35, ipswichmapper--- via talk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> The way you place housenumbers is by moving the crosshair (which is in the middle of the screen) above the building outline of the housenumber you are trying to map. You then add the housenumber using the keypad.

will it put the address on a node or on the building outline

Cheers Martin

Re: Introducing SwiftAddress, an highly efficient way of collecting housenumbers

Paul Johnson-3
On Fri, Jan 22, 2021 at 5:35 AM ipswichmapper--- via talk <[hidden email]> wrote:
The way you place housenumbers is by moving the crosshair (which is in the middle of the screen) above the building outline of the housenumber you are trying to map. You then add the housenumber using the keypad.

How does this differ from the address collection quest in StreetComplete?  Not trying to be destructively critical here, but this sounds a tad fiddly compared to "touch icon, enter number" where StreetComplete detects an appropriate object missing address information.

Re: Introducing SwiftAddress, an highly efficient way of collecting housenumbers

General Discussion mailing list
I know, but there is also attribution, as well as what are the links. Osmdroid doesn't use TMS, you have to provide slippy map format. Many providers want you to create an account to get an API token.

For example, the wiki page on Bing Maps provides no tms (or related link) so I can't really easily add that.

On top of this, imageries are giving me error. For example, using the mapbox tms given by OSM wiki gives this error: "HTTP traffic id not allowed" (or something like that I can't remember the exact error).
--

22 Jan 2021, 13:41 by [hidden email]:

Jan 22, 2021, 12:25 by [hidden email]:
For this I plan on implementing satellite background imageries into the app, so that you can use that to find the position of the house. (I need to know how to implement that first, however, and what imagery/tms I can use)

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Bing_Maps#Bing_Aerial_Imagery

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Esri#Using_Esri_imagery_in_editors

https://github.com/osmlab/editor-layer-index

JOSM also has its own list

Re: Introducing SwiftAddress, an highly efficient way of collecting housenumbers

General Discussion mailing list
On node, underneath the position of your crosshair which is in centre of screen. Saves it as .osm file which you open in JOSM. Might support direct upload to osm in the future though (I'd have to write some validation and conflict resolution features in the future however.)

--

22 Jan 2021, 13:53 by [hidden email]:

sent from a phone
On 22 Jan 2021, at 12:35, ipswichmapper--- via talk <[hidden email]> wrote:

The way you place housenumbers is by moving the crosshair (which is in the middle of the screen) above the building outline of the housenumber you are trying to map. You then add the housenumber using the keypad.

will it put the address on a node or on the building outline

Cheers Martin

Re: Introducing SwiftAddress, an highly efficient way of collecting housenumbers

General Discussion mailing list
Far, far more efficient. Streetcomplete requires you to draw buildings. While it recently added increment features, this app has increment features FOR BOTH SIDES of the road, so you can collect both sides at the same time (and it will remember your previous housenumber which you can easily increment).

Furthermore, if the street folloes a increment pattern ( for example housenums go up by 2 each time), then you set that increment and long press the arrow to automatically add an address to the map. For examplr, if you had judt added housenumber "24" on left side of road then long pressing on the left arrow will qutomatically add "26".

This could be really, really efficient for adding numbers on streets with a predictable housenumber pattern.

In the future I also want to support addr:interpolation as well.

--

22 Jan 2021, 15:22 by [hidden email]:
On Fri, Jan 22, 2021 at 5:35 AM ipswichmapper--- via talk <[hidden email]> wrote:
The way you place housenumbers is by moving the crosshair (which is in the middle of the screen) above the building outline of the housenumber you are trying to map. You then add the housenumber using the keypad.

How does this differ from the address collection quest in StreetComplete?  Not trying to be destructively critical here, but this sounds a tad fiddly compared to "touch icon, enter number" where StreetComplete detects an appropriate object missing address information.

Re: Introducing SwiftAddress, an highly efficient way of collecting housenumbers

General Discussion mailing list
Soon, yes. Currently however, I'm focusing on fixing bugs and adding basic features.

The other thing is google play. I'll have to add there, however I don't have a google account and signing up asks for a phone number (which is not something I'd really want to provide). Another option is to send the signed APK to someone else who will publish using their account. If that isn't possible/safe, I'll create a google account

Currently, I've just released it on Github for people to test it out. Once I feel it is high enough quality to go into app stores I'll think about these questions.

Thanks,
IpswichMapper
--

22 Jan 2021, 16:24 by [hidden email]:
[...]

Okay. I'll see what I can do when the time comes.

--

22 Jan 2021, 20:18 by [hidden email]:
[...]

SimonPoole

I don't quite understand why, outside of a specialized keyboard, you are reinventing the wheel (and fragmenting available development resources, OK, I suppose that is one of the hallmarks of OSM development which unluckily get rewarded time and time again). Vespucci:

- allows you to directly enter address for upload, aka enter once, no 2nd pass needed at home

- automatically will download existing data (so that you don't accidentally duplicate existing data)

- can highlight missing tags, for example addresses

- has all the background and overlay layers from ELI available

- has address prediction that will automatically detect odd / even address schemes and increment and is street side aware

- allows you to configure which address tags should be set on addresses (this tends to be a question of national preference)

- handles addr:street and addr:place

- seeds address tags values from existing data

- and many other things like conflict resolution and so on.

All since more than half a decade (actually 7 years).

Yes, as said, it is true that it doesn't have a specialized keyboard, but as you typically only have to type in a small number of numbers per street, if any at all, the pain isn't really large enough to offset the complexity caused by i18n support that would be required. But we even have an issue for that https://github.com/MarcusWolschon/osmeditor4android/issues/574 and if somebody wants to put the effort (see i18n problems) a PR would be gladly accepted.

Simon

Am 22.01.2021 um 12:25 schrieb ipswichmapper--- via talk:
[...]

- automatically will download data (so that you don't accidentally duplicate existing addresses)

[...]

Upps sorry that that this went out twice.

One aspect that I forgot to mention was if you have open address data available in GeoJSON format this can be displayed as an overlay. This is mainly useful if you are taking a combined survey/reference data approach. 15.2 (not released yet) supports creating OSM objects directly out of suitable GeoJSON which could be used as an alternative data entry strategy.

Simon

Le 23 janvier 2021 11:20:19 GMT+01:00, Simon Poole <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>I don't quite understand why, outside of a specialized keyboard, you are
>reinventing the wheel

The pleasure of building something from the ground up, joy of developing an App, maybe?
I hope you did not forgot it, Simon.
A wealthy environment should be more welcoming to new players.
Yves

Re: Introducing SwiftAddress, an highly efficient way of collecting housenumbers

Andy Townsend
On 23/01/2021 12:13, Yves via talk wrote:

> Le 23 janvier 2021 11:20:19 GMT+01:00, Simon Poole <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>> I don't quite understand why, outside of a specialized keyboard, you are
>> reinventing the wheel
> The pleasure of building something from the ground up, joy of developing an App, maybe?
> I hope you did not forgot it, Simon.
> A wealthy environment should be more welcoming to new players.

A huge +1 to that.

If no-one "re-invented the wheel" we'd all still be using
https://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=461736&y=457794&z=0&sv=y032&st=2&pc=yO32&ar=N&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf&sq=1
.

Best Regards,

Andy

Re: Introducing SwiftAddress, an highly efficient way of collecting housenumbers

ebel
Oh there's nothing wrong with someone having fun. If you don't like it, I'm sure you can get a refund for what you paid for the software 😉

I do keep hearing about these Vespucci features, have you considered making screencasts or videos demonstrating it? There's a good chance that people aren't using these features because they don't know how.

On Sat, 23 Jan 2021 11:19, Simon Poole <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > Of course, most times building outlines aren't drawn in OSM, so you can't tell from OSM imagery where the postition of the building/house is. For this I plan on implementing satellite background imageries into the app, so that you can use that to find the position of the house. (I need to know how to implement that first, however, and what imagery/tms I can use)
> >
> > You can also has a few more features, for example, auto-incrementing, and the ability to take notes. I have described the app in more detail in the diary entry.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > IpswichMapper

> Attachments:
> * OpenPGP_signature

Re: Introducing SwiftAddress, an highly efficient way of collecting housenumbers

That's the thing. Remember that while in some cases people might be being paid to develop software by an employer - and in that case, the most efficient way of getting the job done properly is key - many people will be developing software in their own time as a hobby and will receive no financial benefit.

No-one is paying ipswichmapper for their time in developing this software, and wishing to fill a niche that interests you is a highly motivating process in getting the software developed. Many software is not completely original in concept, but might (as in this case) be more closely targeted towards a specific use-case than a more generalised application, or be open-source when all similar apps are proprietary.

Also developing your own app or other software is a great way to learn a language or framework (though I have no idea whether ipswichmapper knows Kotlin or Android development already, so not sure if this comment is relevant here!)

As others have said OpenStreetMap itself was arguably reinventing the wheel - but unlike some other wheels, it's an open-source wheel.

Nick

Am 23.01.2021 um 15:19 schrieb Rory McCann:
> Oh there's nothing wrong with someone having fun. If you don't like it, I'm sure you can get a refund for what you paid for the software 😉
>
> I do keep hearing about these Vespucci features, have you considered making screencasts or videos demonstrating it? There's a good chance that people aren't using these features because they don't know how.

Vespucci is arguably the best documented OSM editor out there, that I'm
not staging a daily marketing blitz for all the features that is has is
probably welcome, particularly not for things that were added 7 years ago.

But since you asked: yes I've considered it. Doing a reasonable
video/screencast is about a days work, so lets settle on 8 hours effort,
the OSMFs going rate it values peoples time at seems to be ~$100, so
$800, lets give a 50% OSM discount, so you are still asking me to spend
$400 on something you think is a good idea, which however is likely
going to be mostly ignored. Or are you suggesting that I do this "for
the exposure"?

Simon

Am 23.01.2021 um 13:13 schrieb Yves:

> Le 23 janvier 2021 11:20:19 GMT+01:00, Simon Poole <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>> I don't quite understand why, outside of a specialized keyboard, you are
>> reinventing the wheel
> The pleasure of building something from the ground up, joy of developing an App, maybe?
> I hope you did not forgot it, Simon.
> A wealthy environment should be more welcoming to new players.
> Yves

There are

- limited edits to go around

- limited developer time to go around

- limited user interest and attention.

The more fragmented the OSM app market place the more and more difficult
it gets to have a viable number of users, yes every new app takes away
edits from the existing  apps (and no, the rising tide analogy does not
apply here). At least for all non-commercially developed OSM software
this would seem to be the only metric to indicate if investing the
required work makes sense or not. Of the roughly 30 editing apps, only 9
have a share of more than 1% of the total user market (roughly 3'000
contributors in absolute numbers) and for the rest it falls off really
quickly. And while you could admire people that carry on maintaining an
app for 40 users, there is no denying that it doesn't make sense for OSM
as a whole at all.

This is not an argument against change and improvements, but about
leaving ones ego aside and investing the time and effort in to bettering
existing applications. BTW just as I did when I decided to invest time
in to improving an existing app, instead of creating a new one.

This doesn't apply just to editing software, it is (somewhat driven by
the nature of OSM and historically little central software development)
rampant all over the place, for example notoriously geocoding software
where there seems to be at leas a couple of new entrants every year
which then go away again just as fast.

Simon