Is Lincoln Highway data OK to use?

Charlotte Wolter
Hello all,

        I've been corresponding with the Lincoln Highway Association about adding its data to OSM. The director said it was all right to use their data, which is presented on their web site as an overlay on Google Maps. (The Lincoln Highway was a route, started in the 1920s, across the United States through about the same area as I-80. It was supported by several oil companies to encourage driving.)
        We already have the data for the roads that the old Lincoln Highway followed from TIGER or Bing, However, the fact that they present their data as an overlay on Google Maps made me hesitate. Would it be OK to use their data or does the fact that it's presented as an overlay on Google make it a problem?
        NE2 already added some of the route, specifically the part I mapped, which is along US 93 south of Wendover, Nev., and I-80. He says his source is a 1923 USGS map from a library at the University of Texas, and, interestingly, his version of the route has some minor differences with the Lincoln Highway Association's. The area is remote, and the route changed several times there because of the Dugway Proving Grounds, adding to the difficulty in doing the research. The Lincoln Highway Association says their versions (there are several different routes, depending on the year) are the result of extensive research over 20 years.
        Anyway, I would welcome some insight on using this data.

Charlotte

Charlotte Wolter
927 18th Street Suite A
Santa Monica, California
90403
+1-310-597-4040
[hidden email]
Skype: thetechlady

The Four Internet Freedoms
Freedom to know all the terms of a service, particularly any that would affect the first three freedoms.

Re: Is Lincoln Highway data OK to use?

Clifford Snow

On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 11:22 AM, Charlotte Wolter <[hidden email]> wrote:
   I've been corresponding with the Lincoln Highway Association about adding its data to OSM. The director said it was all right to use their data, which is presented on their web site as an overlay on Google Maps. (The Lincoln Highway was a route, started in the 1920s, across the United States through about the same area as I-80. It was supported by several oil companies to encourage driving.)

Are you proposing to trace the overlay on Google Maps or use their data? According to their web site "The Lincoln Highway Association (LHA) does not share electronic files or computer coding of the online Official Map of the Lincoln Highway. This definitive map, which is sanctioned and owned by the LHA, represents thousands of hours of research by more than 25 members of the LHA over a period of 20 years, and is updated regularly by the LHA National Mapping Committee. You are welcome to print and/or capture screenshots of the map, terrain, satellite and street-level views."

If they are providing you with the data, then I'd say it's ok if  you document the addition on the wiki with information from LHA granting OSM permission to use the data and any attribution requirements.

If they are saying it's ok to trace, then hopefully somebody more knowledgeable than me can answer the question. Personally I wouldn't use anything on Google's Map for fear of copyright infringement.

--
Clifford

OpenStreetMap: Maps with a human touch

Re: Is Lincoln Highway data OK to use?

Charlotte Wolter

        So far, the director has said it's OK to use the map as it's printed on their web site to add the Lincoln Highway to OSM, but I asked her for a clarification, emphasizing that we need data in the public domain. If she says OK to that, then I guess it's OK from their point of view.
        Now, my main question is, does the fact that their routes are superimposed over a Google map create a problem?

--C

At 12:36 PM 3/11/2013, you wrote:

[...]

Richard Welty-2
On 3/11/13 8:18 PM, Charlotte Wolter wrote:

>         So far, the director has said it's OK to use the map as it's
> printed on their web site to add the Lincoln Highway to OSM, but I
> asked her for a clarification, emphasizing that we need data in the
> public domain. If she says OK to that, then I guess it's OK from their
> point of view.
>         Now, my main question is, does the fact that their routes are
> superimposed over a Google map create a problem?
it should not. i would double check the google TOS for the maps api just
in case, but i'd be
really surprised if google tried to claim mashup data, and if they did,
i'd be really surprised
if such a claim held up in court.

the original data belongs to the Lincoln Highway folks, and is theirs to
control.

the lincoln highway runs right past my grandmother's old house on "old
30" just
east of Nevada Iowa. she was very into the whole Lincoln Highway Days
celebration
there. those of us who are too young to remember the highway coming through
(which is nearly all of us at this point) don't understand how big a
deal it was when it
was built. it is a road of special historic significance.

for alternate routes, which may no longer exist, you might want to look
at the OHM
project, which is a database of historic facts separate from OSM that's
just starting
up.

richard

Re: Is Lincoln Highway data OK to use?

Steve Bennett-3
On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 11:31 AM, Richard Welty <[hidden email]> wrote:
> it should not. i would double check the google TOS for the maps api just in
> case, but i'd be
> really surprised if google tried to claim mashup data, and if they did, i'd
> be really surprised
> if such a claim held up in court.
>
> the original data belongs to the Lincoln Highway folks, and is theirs to
> control.

But how did they create it? If they created the route by tracing over
Google Maps (quite plausible - other organisations do this), then
maybe it's some kind of derivative work.

Steve