Is London and Britain leading the way in Europe for free mapping?

Is London and Britain leading the way in Europe for free mapping?

Jeremy Stocks
Hi there,

I am living as an expat in Munich Germany and I run a small blog  of my own to develop free data using VMAP, SRTM etc data using GRASS. My impression is that the "scene" we have in OSM is uniq   ue in Europoe and has yet to come over the Channel. Am I right in this supposition?

Jeremy.

Re: Is London and Britain leading the way in Europe for free mapping?

Steve Coast
> Hi there,
>
> I am living as an expat in Munich Germany and I run a small blog
> <http://wherethehellisit.blogspot.com/>  of my own to develop free data
> using VMAP, SRTM etc data using GRASS. My impression is that the "scene"
> we have in OSM is uniq   ue in Europoe and has yet to come over the
> Channel. Am I right in this supposition?

Hi stocksll33,

As an aside, I'm not sold on VMAP being copyright free.

As for channel hopping, you should see significant amount of map data in
Europe and elsewhere. This isn't a UK-centric project. Have a look at

http://www.openstreetmap.org/wiki/index.php/User:LA2

for lots of places.

have fun,

SteveC [hidden email] http://www.asklater.com/steve/