Quantcast

Is any mapper using custom Icons, not displaying labels, but still allows GPS to search by labels?

Is any mapper using custom Icons, not displaying labels, but still allows GPS to search by labels?

greg crago
I decided to use Custom ICONS for FAST FOOD (for example) So I display a McDonalds POINT, I don't want to show a label, because the symbol conveys the brand name. Yet I want to be able to SEARCH for FAST FOOD and see McDonalds show up in the list. Has anybody done this?

I had asked a somewhat similar question and a fellow mapper used a BLANK POINT (0x2a07) for fast food and then overlays unique brand symbols on top of this. But since I am deleting the NAME tag, I don't think the search will work anymore

Greg

Re: Is any mapper using custom Icons, not displaying labels, but still allows GPS to search by labels?

nwillink
You can set the icon's extended label to 'nolabel' in your TYP file.

Nick

Re: Is any mapper using custom Icons, not displaying labels, but still allows GPS to search by labels?

greg crago
Nick, is that for the Language Label (0x04 english) label? Something you can add to your TYP file with TypWiz5
Will this remove the NAME tag from OSM (mkgmap:label:1)

Greg

On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 9:53 PM, nwillink <[hidden email]> wrote:
You can set the icon's extended label to 'nolabel' in your TYP file.

Nick

Re: Is any mapper using custom Icons, not displaying labels, but still allows GPS to search by labels?

nwillink

Hi Greg

No , nothing to do with the language label.

With TYP files you can change the font size of your labels - confusingly they have been given the name :extended labels

when you dbl click on an icon you can change the fontsize of your labels (extended labels) to small , large,normal, default and nolable

Note that certain types do not respond to small,large,normal but only to default and nolabel

When you select nolabel the icon label will not be displayed.

It will not remove the mgmap:label so you can still search for it