Is building=yes (or landuse=retail) necessary in addition to amenity=fuel?

Is building=yes (or landuse=retail) necessary in addition to amenity=fuel?

Sebastian Arcus
I've been tagging recently some shops and fuel stations which are on
their own (not part of another building or site), and I have some
questions. If I tag them simply with amenity=fuel (or
shop=garden_centre, for example), they only show up on the OSM map as a
POI - not the entire area traced. However, the rendering works correctly
if I add the tag building=yes (or landuse=retail, if it is an area of
land, and not a specific building).

I just want to make sure I understand things correctly. Is this the
right way to do things? Although tags such as amenity=fuel can be
applied to entire ways, not just one waypoint, the extra tag such as
building=yes or landuse=* is still necessary  in order for it to show up
correctly on OSM's map (and presumably other renderers)? According to my
experiments, it seems that is the case, but I want to make sure I'm not
wrong.

On the other hand, is it preferable to just tag the building on its own,
the are of land with landuse=* on its own, and then place a separate
node in the middle with amenity=fuel? Or not?

I've been searching the OSM wiki, and the descriptions of various tags
are great, but can't seem to find a page with best practice for things
such as the above - although there might be one somewhere.

Hope the above makes sense.

Sebastian

Re: Is building=yes (or landuse=retail) necessary in addition to amenity=fuel?

Dudley Ibbett
I went though the same issue.  I don't know the history of this (if someone does it would be useful to know) but you need building=yes as a tag on the area for the building area to be rendered on the main osm map.  I guess is makes it easier to produce maps with and without buildings showing.

There is an article on the wiki "one feature, one osm element" that covers the issue of putting a POI in the centre of the building.  I.e. it shouldn't be done and the tags should be on the area defining the building..  With the availability of better imagery I have removed a number of POIs for pubs, cafes etc and drawn the building area with the necessary tags.

I'll let others comment on landuse.  I'm not an urban mapper.

If the above wiki page is of help it would be useful to know what you have been searching on as it seems finding it needs to be improved.  Comments on the page itself would also be useful.

Regards

Dudley

Sent from my iPad

On 29 Dec 2012, at 09:49, "Sebastian Arcus" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've been tagging recently some shops and fuel stations which are on their own (not part of another building or site), and I have some questions. If I tag them simply with amenity=fuel (or shop=garden_centre, for example), they only show up on the OSM map as a POI - not the entire area traced. However, the rendering works correctly if I add the tag building=yes (or landuse=retail, if it is an area of land, and not a specific building).
>
> I just want to make sure I understand things correctly. Is this the right way to do things? Although tags such as amenity=fuel can be applied to entire ways, not just one waypoint, the extra tag such as building=yes or landuse=* is still necessary  in order for it to show up correctly on OSM's map (and presumably other renderers)? According to my experiments, it seems that is the case, but I want to make sure I'm not wrong.
>
> On the other hand, is it preferable to just tag the building on its own, the are of land with landuse=* on its own, and then place a separate node in the middle with amenity=fuel? Or not?
>
> I've been searching the OSM wiki, and the descriptions of various tags are great, but can't seem to find a page with best practice for things such as the above - although there might be one somewhere.
>
> Hope the above makes sense.
>
> Sebastian

Re: Is building=yes (or landuse=retail) necessary in addition to amenity=fuel?

severin
Hi,

For building=yes, I would say it is not really a matter of rendering (tagging for a specific rendering is not a good rule) but more the most generic tag used to identify a building, whatever his function, type, etc.

For the "using a node or not to specify the activities inside a building" there are 2 schools. Tagging the building has a limit cause you put only one amenity=* or shop=* and there are lot of buildings hosting more than one, so some people tag the building area when there is only one activity or shop and use nodes if there are more. Other people (I am in) think it is better to put all these activities on nodes and the buildings are described for their own physical features like materials, condition, etc. rather then see them dispatched in two different logics and topologies.

Sincerely,

Severin
Humanitarian OSM Team

On Sat, Dec 29, 2012 at 7:49 AM, Dudley Ibbett <[hidden email]> wrote:
I went though the same issue.  I don't know the history of this (if someone does it would be useful to know) but you need building=yes as a tag on the area for the building area to be rendered on the main osm map.  I guess is makes it easier to produce maps with and without buildings showing.

There is an article on the wiki "one feature, one osm element" that covers the issue of putting a POI in the centre of the building.  I.e. it shouldn't be done and the tags should be on the area defining the building..  With the availability of better imagery I have removed a number of POIs for pubs, cafes etc and drawn the building area with the necessary tags.

I'll let others comment on landuse.  I'm not an urban mapper.

If the above wiki page is of help it would be useful to know what you have been searching on as it seems finding it needs to be improved.  Comments on the page itself would also be useful.

Regards

Dudley

Sent from my iPad

On 29 Dec 2012, at 09:49, "Sebastian Arcus" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've been tagging recently some shops and fuel stations which are on their own (not part of another building or site), and I have some questions. If I tag them simply with amenity=fuel (or shop=garden_centre, for example), they only show up on the OSM map as a POI - not the entire area traced. However, the rendering works correctly if I add the tag building=yes (or landuse=retail, if it is an area of land, and not a specific building).
>
> I just want to make sure I understand things correctly. Is this the right way to do things? Although tags such as amenity=fuel can be applied to entire ways, not just one waypoint, the extra tag such as building=yes or landuse=* is still necessary  in order for it to show up correctly on OSM's map (and presumably other renderers)? According to my experiments, it seems that is the case, but I want to make sure I'm not wrong.
>
> On the other hand, is it preferable to just tag the building on its own, the are of land with landuse=* on its own, and then place a separate node in the middle with amenity=fuel? Or not?
>
> I've been searching the OSM wiki, and the descriptions of various tags are great, but can't seem to find a page with best practice for things such as the above - although there might be one somewhere.
>
> Hope the above makes sense.
>
> Sebastian

Re: Is building=yes (or landuse=retail) necessary in addition to amenity=fuel?

Tom Taylor-2
Greater uniformity means that the rendering software can be simpler, but
unfortunately, OSM has plenty of examples of both usages already. Thus
the renderer has to handle both cases anyway.