Is it safe to assume that every single road in New York City is surface=asphalt?

Is it safe to assume that every single road in New York City is surface=asphalt?

USA mailing list
I encountered case where mapper assumed based on their old visit that
every single road in New York City is definitely surface=asphalt and mapped them this way.

Is it safe to assume this? Is such edit OK or something to be reverted?

Re: Is it safe to assume that every single road in New York City is surface=asphalt?

Jmapb
[Sorry, somehow accidentally sent this to the tagging list...]

On 1/14/2021 3:10 AM, Mateusz Konieczny via Talk-us wrote:

> I encountered case where mapper assumed based on their old visit that
> every single road in New York City is definitely surface=asphalt and
> mapped them this way.
>
> Is it safe to assume this? Is such edit OK or something to be reverted?

Certainly not safe to assume this. Offhand cobblestone, brick, and
concrete are pretty easy to find. I wouldn't be surprised to find gravel
or compacted roads in the outer parts of the outer boroughs.

Famously there's still one dirt "road" in Manhattan (actually an
alley... with too many access tags, it seems)
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/386951769

Jason

Re: Is it safe to assume that every single road in New York City is surface=asphalt?

Eric Ladner-2

"For roads for motor vehicles there there is normally an assumption that the surface is surface=paved unless otherwise stated"

and paved is defined as:

"A feature that is predominantly paved; i.e., it is covered with paving stones, concrete or bitumen. This value gives only a rough description; use a more precise value if possible."

Personally, I'd think that surface=asphalt should be the default since 95% of the roads are asphalt and tagging a couple million roads with "surface=asphalt" probably doesn't add a lot of information to the map.   Concrete/cobbles/etc. are the exception, not the rule, and tagging them specifically does add information.

On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 2:31 AM Mateusz Konieczny via Talk-us <[hidden email]> wrote:
I encountered case where mapper assumed based on their old visit that
every single road in New York City is definitely surface=asphalt and mapped them this way.

Is it safe to assume this? Is such edit OK or something to be reverted?

Eric Ladner

Re: Is it safe to assume that every single road in New York City is surface=asphalt?

USA mailing list

Jan 14, 2021, 15:51 by [hidden email]:
[Sorry, somehow accidentally sent this to the tagging list...]

On 1/14/2021 3:10 AM, Mateusz Konieczny via Talk-us wrote:
I encountered case where mapper assumed based on their old visit that
every single road in New York City is definitely surface=asphalt and
mapped them this way.

Is it safe to assume this? Is such edit OK or something to be reverted?

Certainly not safe to assume this. Offhand cobblestone, brick, and
concrete are pretty easy to find. I wouldn't be surprised to find gravel
or compacted roads in the outer parts of the outer boroughs.

Famously there's still one dirt "road" in Manhattan (actually an
alley... with too many access tags, it seems)
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/386951769
Thanks for reply! I reverted most of edits from user
who misused StreetComplete for edits not based
on a survey.

Not all due to edit conflicts - given that
it was guessing not a malicious damage I decided
to not bother with untangling them.

If someone spots edits done using StreetComplete
and not based on survey - please, at least request
in changeset comments to stop damage
(preferably also revert them).

Note: in very rare cases SC may have gigantic bounding boxes
with actual survey (no internet connection between making
edit and long-distance travel and next edit and upload),
ask in changeset comments if situation is unclear.

Re: Is it safe to assume that every single road in New York City is surface=asphalt?

USA mailing list
Not good to assume every road is asphalt.

Here's another example. Morton Street, just next to the Hudson River between Greenwich Street and West Street, is "sett" (cobblestone?): https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/468414633 This isn't exactly a trivial street either.

Jan 16, 2021, 00:15 by [hidden email]: