Is it technically and legally possible to add the Open Location Code to the OSM search?

1234 ... 6

Is it technically and legally possible to add the Open Location Code to the OSM search?

Oleksiy Muzalyev
Open Location Codes are also referred to as "plus codes".  Since August 2015, Google Maps supports plus codes in their search engine. The algorithm is Open Source, licensed under the Apache License 2.0. and available on GitHub [1].

A plus code, can be generated at: https://plus.codes/ . It can be entered at the Google Maps search input box to find a location. A plus sign "+" is inserted in the code for recognition.

It would be nice to have an interoperability. For example, a customer uses Google Map, but a dispatcher in a Call Center the OpenStreetMap. The OLC has got some interesting features:

"Open Location Codes are derived from latitude and longitude coordinates, so they already exist everywhere. They are similar in length to a telephone number -- 849VCWC8+R9, for example -- but can often be shortened to only four or six digits when combined with a locality (CWC8+R9, Mountain View). Locations close to each other have similar codes. They can be encoded or decoded offline. The character set avoids similar looking characters, to reduce confusion and errors, and avoids vowels to make it unlikely that a code spells existing words.The Open Location Code is not case-sensitive, and can therefore be easily exchanged over the phone." [1]

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Location_Code

Best regards,
Oleksiy

Re: Is it technically and legally possible to add the Open Location Code to the OSM search?

john whelan-2
So you are talking about an enhancement to Nominatim I assume?

There is a process to request enhancements.

Cheerio John

On Thu, 9 Aug 2018, 9:35 am [hidden email], <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Yuri Astrakhan-2
I'm a big fan of plus codes, and even have a pending implementation of it in the Elasticsearch (as an aggregation hashing function).  I doubt there are any legal restrictions on using this - the code is licensed under Apache 2, and Google states "Plus codes are free. There are no licensing fees or other costs. The technology is open-sourced." at https://plus.codes/
Not sure about the implementation complexities.

On Thu, Aug 9, 2018 at 4:35 PM [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Palolo
The Tanzania Development trust has calculated the Plus Code addresses for 17 million building points in Tanzania and have added a sample village (1800 points) as a test.

The Python code on Github works great to calculate Plus Codes.

We did used these tags:
addr:pluscode:full  (the 8+2 digit full Plus Code)
addr:pluscode:area (the first 4 digits of the full Plus Code which is a 1 degree by 1 degree lat long area)
addr:pluscode:local (the second 4 digits + last 2 digits which used with a local name becomes the local address)

On Thu, Aug 9, 2018 at 6:48 AM, Stefano <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Blake Girardot HOT/OSM
On Thu, Aug 9, 2018 at 4:48 PM, Vao Matua <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The Tanzania Development trust has calculated the Plus Code addresses for 17
> million building points in Tanzania and have added a sample village (1800
> points) as a test.
>
> The Python code on Github works great to calculate Plus Codes.
>
> We did used these tags:
> addr:pluscode:full  (the 8+2 digit full Plus Code)
> addr:pluscode:area (the first 4 digits of the full Plus Code which is a 1
> degree by 1 degree lat long area)
> addr:pluscode:local (the second 4 digits + last 2 digits which used with a
> local name becomes the local address)

This is really cool to hear!

I am a big fan of OLC / Pluse Codes

I passed this thread on to the folks at Google Zurich who created it
originally, not sure if they still work there or not, we last chatted
in 2016, but I am sure they will be glad to stop in and answer
questions if I can raise them.

Cheers
blake

Re: Is it technically and legally possible to add the Open Location Code to the OSM search?

Frederik Ramm

On 08/09/2018 10:48 PM, Vao Matua wrote:
> The Tanzania Development trust has calculated the Plus Code addresses
> for 17 million building points in Tanzania and have added a sample
> village (1800 points) as a test.

This is not a good idea. Please don't do it. It does not make sense! If
someone searches for a plus code on a web site, the site can compute the
lat/lon and take you there, WITHOUT having to add billions of plus code
points all over the word.

Bye
Frederik

Re: Is it technically and legally possible to add the Open Location Code to the OSM search?

Palolo
It is a good idea for the unconnected part of the world. If you have access to a website you might as well use three-silly-words.
If you have a stand-alone app with the Plus Codes on the buildings then someone can easily communicate that information.
Internet connectivity is not world wide.

Hi,

--
Frederik Ramm  ##  eMail [hidden email]  ##  N49°00'09" E008°23'33"

Re: Is it technically and legally possible to add the Open Location Code to the OSM search?

john whelan-2
So if OSMand or some such could handle them in a search off line that would be acceptable?  They are generated from long and lat after all.

My feeling is adding them to Nominatim is not a perfect solution as it implies OpenStreetMap supports them rather than something else but from a practical point of view it would solve a lot of problems.  Not least the idea that tags get added to every building with some sort of address code.  How many different codes for buildings are we going to see?

Currently locally addr: has number, postcode and street name so its difficult to logically say its one rule for one country and another for a different one.

Cheerio John

On 9 August 2018 at 17:40, Vao Matua <[hidden email]> wrote:
It is a good idea for the unconnected part of the world. If you have access to a website you might as well use three-silly-words.
If you have a stand-alone app with the Plus Codes on the buildings then someone can easily communicate that information.
Internet connectivity is not world wide.

On Thu, Aug 9, 2018 at 2:27 PM, Frederik Ramm <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

On 08/09/2018 10:48 PM, Vao Matua wrote:
> The Tanzania Development trust has calculated the Plus Code addresses
> for 17 million building points in Tanzania and have added a sample
> village (1800 points) as a test.

This is not a good idea. Please don't do it. It does not make sense! If
someone searches for a plus code on a web site, the site can compute the
lat/lon and take you there, WITHOUT having to add billions of plus code
points all over the word.

Bye
Frederik

--
Frederik Ramm  ##  eMail [hidden email]  ##  N49°00'09" E008°23'33"

Re: Is it technically and legally possible to add the Open Location Code to the OSM search?

> On 9. Aug 2018, at 23:40, Vao Matua <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Internet connectivity is not world wide.

it is available everywhere, but you have to be able and willing to afford it (it might cost several orders of magnitude more than cellphone internet in europe).

cheers,

Re: Is it technically and legally possible to add the Open Location Code to the OSM search?

> On 9. Aug 2018, at 23:57, john whelan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> My feeling is adding them to Nominatim is not a perfect solution as it implies OpenStreetMap supports them rather than something else

on the other hand we are supporting proprietary, copyrighted systems like postcodes. If a location coding system is freely and openly available and has gained some traction, I feel we should try to support it.

Re: Is it technically and legally possible to add the Open Location Code to the OSM search?

Palolo
I use Plus Codes with OSMand offline and it works well. If we are worried about the number of tags we should remove all tags and convince everyone to just use lat/long.
The ability to verbally tell someone a location like 47RP+XG Dar-es-Salaam is much easier than -6.85748/39.28613
Suspend disbelief, sometimes new things are better.

On 08/10/2018 12:04 AM, Vao Matua wrote:
> I use Plus Codes with OSMand offline and it works well. If we are
> worried about the number of tags we should remove all tags and convince
> everyone to just use lat/long.

There's absolutely nothing to be said against OSMand using plus codes,
indeed, this proves that plus codes can be used perfectly well without
adding them to the OSM database.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "remove all tags and convince
everyone to just use lat/long". Our tags describe not *where* something
is, but *what* something is, a feature certainly as useful in Tanzania
as elsewhere. The description of *where* something is does indeed happen
by latitude and longitude in OSM.

In some countries we add street addresses, but only because there's no
mathematical way to derive a lat/long from the address. If it were
possible to apply a formula to an address and arrive at a lat/long, or
apply a formula to a lat/long and arrive at a street address, nobody
would be mapping them.

Just as nobody should be mapping plus codes. Put the formula in the
device (e.g. OSMand) and you have plus code support for the whole
planet. No need to import billions of address points. It's faster,
cleaner, and less likely to break.

Bye
Frederik

Re: Is it technically and legally possible to add the Open Location Code to the OSM search?

Yves-2
If those codes can be encoded and decoded offline, it should be dealt with offline by the client, not a server-side application like Nominatim.
Yves

Le 10 août 2018 00:04:56 GMT+02:00, Vao Matua <[hidden email]> a écrit :
I use Plus Codes with OSMand offline and it works well. If we are worried about the number of tags we should remove all tags and convince everyone to just use lat/long.
The ability to verbally tell someone a location like 47RP+XG Dar-es-Salaam is much easier than -6.85748/39.28613
Suspend disbelief, sometimes new things are better.

On Thu, Aug 9, 2018 at 2:57 PM, john whelan <[hidden email]> wrote:
So if OSMand or some such could handle them in a search off line that would be acceptable?  They are generated from long and lat after all.

My feeling is adding them to Nominatim is not a perfect solution as it implies OpenStreetMap supports them rather than something else but from a practical point of view it would solve a lot of problems.  Not least the idea that tags get added to every building with some sort of address code.  How many different codes for buildings are we going to see?

Currently locally addr: has number, postcode and street name so its difficult to logically say its one rule for one country and another for a different one.

Cheerio John

On 9 August 2018 at 17:40, Vao Matua <[hidden email]> wrote:
It is a good idea for the unconnected part of the world. If you have access to a website you might as well use three-silly-words.
If you have a stand-alone app with the Plus Codes on the buildings then someone can easily communicate that information.
Internet connectivity is not world wide.

On Thu, Aug 9, 2018 at 2:27 PM, Frederik Ramm <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

On 08/09/2018 10:48 PM, Vao Matua wrote:
> The Tanzania Development trust has calculated the Plus Code addresses
> for 17 million building points in Tanzania and have added a sample
> village (1800 points) as a test.

This is not a good idea. Please don't do it. It does not make sense! If
someone searches for a plus code on a web site, the site can compute the
lat/lon and take you there, WITHOUT having to add billions of plus code
points all over the word.

Bye
Frederik

--
Frederik Ramm  ##  eMail [hidden email]  ##  N49°00'09" E008°23'33"

Re: Is it technically and legally possible to add the Open Location Code to the OSM search?

john whelan-2
Think about what you have just said.  If I have an internet connection available and I'm running JOSM how would I find them if Nominatim  wasn't available.

Cheerio John

On 10.08.18 00:13, Blake Girardot HOT/OSM wrote:

> This is really cool to hear!
>
> I am a big fan of OLC / Pluse Codes
>
> I passed this thread on to the folks at Google Zurich who created it
> originally, not sure if they still work there or not, we last chatted
> in 2016, but I am sure they will be glad to stop in and answer
> questions if I can raise them.
>
> Cheers
> blake

I read here https://plus.codes/developers that they work on
implementations in other languages.

On the practical side, I know that a new driver at a delivery service
may spend in some cases up to three - four hours to deliver one Internet
order in a city (I had some interviews with delivery drivers). There are
new apartment buildings which are not yet in navigators, some houses are
several hundred meters long [1], etc.

This excessive senseless driving is not only expensive but also harms
environment. I think it makes sense to implement the OLC as a practical
attempt to improve the archaic (or absent) street-name & house-number
address system, to start people realizing that there is a way now to
specify the exact location over email and over telephone unequivocally,
so no waste of time and fuel is necessary anymore.

Besides, I assume it was done already technically, - there is the pull
request already.

About 50% of all traffic is one or another kind of delivery. The OLC may
improve situation with traffic jams and CO2 pollution, which concerns
all. If people start using the OLC massively, there will be, most
probably, further attempts to improve it since it is Open Source.

[1] https://osm.org/go/0iaifBuGU--?m=

Best regards,

Oleksiy

Re: Is it technically and legally possible to add the Open Location Code to the OSM search?

Michael Reichert-3

Am 2018-08-09 um 22:48 schrieb Vao Matua:

> The Tanzania Development trust has calculated the Plus Code addresses for
> 17 million building points in Tanzania and have added a sample village
> (1800 points) as a test.
>
> The Python code on Github works great to calculate Plus Codes.
>
> We did used these tags:
> addr:pluscode:full  (the 8+2 digit full Plus Code)
> addr:pluscode:area (the first 4 digits of the full Plus Code which is a 1
> degree by 1 degree lat long area)
> addr:pluscode:local (the second 4 digits + last 2 digits which used with a
> local name becomes the local address)
There is no need for this data in OSM because the data can be retrieved
automatically from latitude and longitude (plain coordinates) which are
already assigned to anything which has a location on the planet.

Adding Plus Code tags to OSM objects is as useful as adding latitude=*
and longitude=* or any other coordinate system which can be calculated
from latitude and longitude.

This import should be reverted.

Best regards

Michael

Re: Is it technically and legally possible to add the Open Location Code to the OSM search?

john whelan-2
I would agree the import should be reverted.  The data is redundant and there is a danger that it might not be correct.  The pure lat and long data already in OSM can be used to calculate the code.

It does add weight to the idea of making them searchable perhaps with a JOSM plugin and support in OSMand for off line use and Nominatim for on line use.

Cheerio John

On Fri, 10 Aug 2018, 8:50 am Michael Reichert, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Am 2018-08-09 um 22:48 schrieb Vao Matua:
> The Tanzania Development trust has calculated the Plus Code addresses for
> 17 million building points in Tanzania and have added a sample village
> (1800 points) as a test.
>
> The Python code on Github works great to calculate Plus Codes.
>
> We did used these tags:
> addr:pluscode:full  (the 8+2 digit full Plus Code)
> addr:pluscode:area (the first 4 digits of the full Plus Code which is a 1
> degree by 1 degree lat long area)
> addr:pluscode:local (the second 4 digits + last 2 digits which used with a
> local name becomes the local address)

There is no need for this data in OSM because the data can be retrieved
automatically from latitude and longitude (plain coordinates) which are
already assigned to anything which has a location on the planet.

Adding Plus Code tags to OSM objects is as useful as adding latitude=*
and longitude=* or any other coordinate system which can be calculated
from latitude and longitude.

This import should be reverted.

Best regards

Michael

Re: Is it technically and legally possible to add the Open Location Code to the OSM search?

Oleksiy Muzalyev
Probably it is done so that plus-codes are known to local actors? Perhaps, local conditions differ from European ones to the degree that it is difficult to comprehend without being part of local community?

In any case, I actually tried once to pass a location over telephone by telling the coordinates. It was accepted as a joke. No surprise, since there are different formats, negative numbers, etc.

Best regards,
O.

Sent from my Huawei Mobile

Am 2018-08-09 um 22:48 schrieb Vao Matua:
> The Tanzania Development trust has calculated the Plus Code addresses for
> 17 million building points in Tanzania and have added a sample village
> (1800 points) as a test.
>
> The Python code on Github works great to calculate Plus Codes.
>
> We did used these tags:
> addr:pluscode:full (the 8+2 digit full Plus Code)
> addr:pluscode:area (the first 4 digits of the full Plus Code which is a 1
> degree by 1 degree lat long area)
> addr:pluscode:local (the second 4 digits + last 2 digits which used with a
> local name becomes the local address)

There is no need for this data in OSM because the data can be retrieved
automatically from latitude and longitude (plain coordinates) which are
already assigned to anything which has a location on the planet.

Adding Plus Code tags to OSM objects is as useful as adding latitude=*
and longitude=* or any other coordinate system which can be calculated
from latitude and longitude.

This import should be reverted.

Best regards

Michael

Re: Is it technically and legally possible to add the Open Location Code to the OSM search?

john whelan-2
A simple stopgap solution would be a program that converted one to the other where the result could be cut and pasted into another program.  They are probably called apps these days.

If you know the code it would give you the lat and long in a format that could be searched by Nominatim.

Grabbing the lat and long from the map and converting it needs a process.

Suggestions?

Thanks John