Is it time to redevelop JOSM?

john whelan-2
JAVA has a number of problems.  Many corporations ban its installation citing security issues which restricts the machines that can use JOSM with all its nice tools.

Oracle never was enamoured of open software and since it has taken over JAVA the licensing has changed amongst other things.

I note that Vincent Privat has reservations about the new version saying they are removing functionality from JAVA that JOSM depends on.

Running old versions of JAVA is I think impractical.  There are too many security issues.

iD runs using an Internet connection and a browser.  I think there is a need for something like JOSM which can work completely off line if need be.

C# apparently is open source.  Visual Studio 2017 is a professional development environment.  Yes it is Windows and I recognise that many prefer one flavour of UNIX or another but I think it is time to think strategically and start work on a replacement for JOSM before we find we can no longer use it.  It can certainly create code which will run on UNIX systems.

I'm not saying C# is the only way to go.

My days as a coder were in the main forty years ago so I'm out of date these days however I had occasion to use both C# and Visual Studio 2017 recently when the language I used to use to knock up the odd program was unable to do what I was after.  I must confess I was impressed.

So thoughts ladies and gentlemen?

Thanks

Cheerio John

Re: Is it time to redevelop JOSM?

Frederik Ramm

On 10/07/2018 11:07 PM, john whelan wrote:
> So thoughts ladies and gentlemen?

Someone attempted to re-develop JOSM (as "JOSM-ng") in 2008 and even
then (with JOSM having a fraction of the features it has today) it
didn't get anywhere ;)

I recently (on josm-dev) said that the actual code is not the essence of
JOSM, but the UI and workflow. I said that the actual language in which
it was written is irrelevant and that it could probably rewritten if
need be. But this was an opinion not widely shared among other
participants of the mailing list, and I guess they know what they're
talking about.

Writing a new piece of software that fully mimicks an existing program
is likely to be easier than developing a new editor from scratch, but
it's still a lot of work, and I don't currently see the need. I guess
there will be workarounds for many of the issues you mention, and some
issues are not work-around-able - for example, if your IT admin decides
that you should not be able to install software locally for security
reasons, then it is hard to envisage any kind of "offline editor"
working well. C# won't save you here.

Bye
Frederik

Re: Is it time to redevelop JOSM?

Mike N.
On 10/7/2018 5:07 PM, john whelan wrote:
> C# apparently is open source.  Visual Studio 2017 is a professional
> development environment.  Yes it is Windows and I recognise that many
> prefer one flavour of UNIX or another but I think it is time to think
> strategically and start work on a replacement for JOSM before we find we
> can no longer use it.  It can certainly create code which will run on
> UNIX systems.
>
> I'm not saying C# is the only way to go.

   There's a lot to like about a C# solution, but currently lacks a
cross platform desktop graphics library.  All the "Desktop pack" GUIs
that Dotnet Core supports are Windows-only.   I don't know if there is a
good open-source cross platform desktop GUI for C# yet.

   All that aside, my opinion is that it will be simpler to construct
all the tools and functions to fill in where Oracle and other Javas may
be dropping from newer versions.

Re: Is it time to redevelop JOSM?

James-2
yes. I've been running openjdk since before the oracle debacle.

Openjdk is the bleeding edge version of java. All new features are now developed on the openjdk side by oracle and other open source developers.

When a release is issued, oracle adds performance secret sauce to their proprietary binaries, that's about it.

On Oct. 7, 2018 5:25 p.m., "john whelan" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Richard Z.
On Sun, Oct 07, 2018 at 05:11:20PM -0400, James wrote:
> people will switch to openjdk. problem solved.

my hope too. Although Oracle's touch of death has left an impressive trace
in the IT departments Java is much more than that single implementation by
Sun/Oracle. Think Android, gcj, c-lang and a few dozens third party compilers
and implementations, also many new languages depending on Java.

> > iD runs using an Internet connection and a browser.  I think there is a
> > need for something like JOSM which can work completely off line if need be.

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Merkaartor ?
Vespucci?

Richard

Re: Is it time to redevelop JOSM?

James-2
Android(google) has been sued over implementing their own JVM, so they do not depend on Oracle(oracle lost that fight too)

Jem

Re: Is it time to redevelop JOSM?

Jem
Putting aside the string of 0-day exploits on applet plugins (which absolutely nobody uses) that we saw a few years ago, I'm finding it difficult to get info that backs up the claim that Java is much less secure than .NET. What I have found indicates they are on par.  e.g. https://www.veracode.com/sites/default/files/Resources/Reports/state-of-software-security-focus-on-application-development.pdf

It feels a bit like the old "java is slow" argument, which hasn't been true for over a decade.

On Mon, 8 Oct 2018 at 07:40, James <[hidden email]> wrote:
Android(google) has been sued over implementing their own JVM, so they do not depend on Oracle(oracle lost that fight too)

On Sun., Oct. 7, 2018, 5:38 p.m. Richard, <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sun, Oct 07, 2018 at 05:11:20PM -0400, James wrote:
> people will switch to openjdk. problem solved.

my hope too. Although Oracle's touch of death has left an impressive trace
in the IT departments Java is much more than that single implementation by
Sun/Oracle. Think Android, gcj, c-lang and a few dozens third party compilers
and implementations, also many new languages depending on Java.

> > iD runs using an Internet connection and a browser.  I think there is a
> > need for something like JOSM which can work completely off line if need be.

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Merkaartor ?
Vespucci?

Richard

Re: Is it time to redevelop JOSM?

Matthijs Melissen
On Sun, 7 Oct 2018 at 23:11, john whelan <[hidden email]> wrote:
JAVA has a number of problems.  Many corporations ban its installation citing security issues which restricts the machines that can use JOSM with all its nice tools.

Is this an actual problem you, or people you know, encounter? If so, is this a policy or a technical measure? In any case, banning Java but allowing arbitrary other executables is silly (a good policy would ban Java Applet plug-ins from browsers instead, this is what might have caused the confusion).

Would offering a version of JOSM somehow wrapped in a .exe help?

-- Matthijs

Re: Is it time to redevelop JOSM?

john whelan-2
It's not a major problem but it does come up from time to time.  Usually iD is acceptable and if they are a heavy mapper then they'll find a suitable machine.

A version of JOSM wrapped in an .exe than ran under windows would be useful as long as JAVA did not have to be installed.

My feeling runs along the lines of Fredrick's comments.  The language isn't particularly important, we do have a very good idea of what works well so its not from scratch if need be.

I think what is important are the issues are raised and discussed and I think that has been done.

There is probably an element of religion here, the existing developers know JAVA and their existing development environment and are happy with it.  It would be a lot of work and there would be a lot of testing to do and I've never one for change for change sake.

Let's hope there isn't an urgent need in the future.  If it needs to be done it's better to have sufficient time available.

Cheerio John

Matthijs Melissen wrote on 2018-10-07 6:12 PM:
On Sun, 7 Oct 2018 at 23:11, john whelan <[hidden email]> wrote:
JAVA has a number of problems.  Many corporations ban its installation citing security issues which restricts the machines that can use JOSM with all its nice tools.

Is this an actual problem you, or people you know, encounter? If so, is this a policy or a technical measure? In any case, banning Java but allowing arbitrary other executables is silly (a good policy would ban Java Applet plug-ins from browsers instead, this is what might have caused the confusion).

Would offering a version of JOSM somehow wrapped in a .exe help?

-- Matthijs

Sent from Postbox

Re: Is it time to redevelop JOSM?

Florian Lohoff-2
On Sun, Oct 07, 2018 at 05:27:19PM -0400, Mike N wrote:
> > I'm not saying C# is the only way to go.
>
>   There's a lot to like about a C# solution, but currently lacks a cross
> platform desktop graphics library.  All the "Desktop pack" GUIs that Dotnet
> Core supports are Windows-only.   I don't know if there is a good
> open-source cross platform desktop GUI for C# yet.

Python/QT ?

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff                                                 [hidden email]

On Sun, Oct 07, 2018 at 11:26:20PM +0200, Frederik Ramm wrote:

> Someone attempted to re-develop JOSM (as "JOSM-ng") in 2008 and even
> then (with JOSM having a fraction of the features it has today) it
> didn't get anywhere ;)
>
> I recently (on josm-dev) said that the actual code is not the essence of
> JOSM, but the UI and workflow. I said that the actual language in which
> it was written is irrelevant and that it could probably rewritten if
> need be. But this was an opinion not widely shared among other
> participants of the mailing list, and I guess they know what they're
> talking about.

> Writing a new piece of software that fully mimicks an existing program
> is likely to be easier than developing a new editor from scratch, but
> it's still a lot of work, and I don't currently see the need. I guess
> there will be workarounds for many of the issues you mention, and some
> issues are not work-around-able - for example, if your IT admin decides
> that you should not be able to install software locally for security
> reasons, then it is hard to envisage any kind of "offline editor"
> working well. C# won't save you here.

Over the last 2-3 years i am getting my trouble with josm because it
is no longer an offline editor. Everyone who has tried starting josm
on Edge type connections (Yes - i do have DSL Light with 384KBit/s at
home) knows what i am talking about.

For me the best case starting josm is 2-3 Minutes - YES Minutes. Worst
case i am at 35 Minutes - Thats more than half an hour.
This happens when some "view" decides that its time to update its png
files from the web. The EU Sign file is 42 MByte which is at best case
35KByte/s - 1228 seconds to download.

Just count the number of network requests for views, image layers,
motd, plugins, user details, user messages and you know the pain.

There is no way to make JOSM really an offline editor now.

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff                                                 [hidden email]

Re: Is it time to redevelop JOSM?

Mateusz Konieczny-3
7. Oct 2018 23:07 by [hidden email]:

JAVA has a number of problems.

Can you give examples that would justify a massive effort of reimplementing JOSM?

Many corporations ban its installation citing security issues which restricts the machines that can use JOSM with all its nice tools.

Because that some people will not be able to use JOSM at their work is not one

that would justify that.

Because people who map at their work, and have banned Java and other executables

are allowed is not high.

C# apparently is open source.  Visual Studio 2017 is a professional development environment.  Yes it is Windows and I recognise that many prefer one flavour of UNIX or another but I think it is time to think strategically and start work on a replacement for JOSM before we find we can no longer use it.  It can certainly create code which will run on UNIX systems.

I'm not saying C# is the only way to go.

What about openjdk?

Re: Is it time to redevelop JOSM?

Mateusz Konieczny-3
8. Oct 2018 16:33 by [hidden email]:

Over the last 2-3 years i am getting my trouble with josm because it
is no longer an offline editor. Everyone who has tried starting josm
on Edge type connections (Yes - i do have DSL Light with 384KBit/s at
home) knows what i am talking about.

For me the best case starting josm is 2-3 Minutes - YES Minutes. Worst
case i am at 35 Minutes - Thats more than half an hour.
This happens when some "view" decides that its time to update its png
files from the web. The EU Sign file is 42 MByte which is at best case
35KByte/s - 1228 seconds to download.

Just count the number of network requests for views, image layers,
motd, plugins, user details, user messages and you know the pain.

There is no way to make JOSM really an offline editor now.

Have you tried reporting problems at JOSM issue tracker?

In my experience reported issue generally get fixed quickly

- JOSM is the largest project known to me where reporting all

encountered issues is worth time used to do that.

Re: Is it time to redevelop JOSM?

Mateusz Konieczny-3
8. Oct 2018 01:01 by [hidden email]:

There is probably an element of religion here, the existing developers know JAVA and their existing development environment and are happy with it.  It would be a lot of work and there would be a lot of testing to do and I've never one for change for change sake.

It is far more practical. JOSN developers are great JAVA developers.

It is unlikely that  all of them are also excellent, say, C# developers.

Re: Is it time to redevelop JOSM?

john whelan-2
 >What about openjdk?

 From the openjdk website for windows 10 "We're counting down to the
last free Oracle Java 8 update - what's your plan?"

We appear to have 96 days left.

I merely raised a concern, but thank you for bringing this additional
information to our notice it wasn't something I wasn't aware of.

Cheerio John

Re: Is it time to redevelop JOSM?

James-2
http://openjdk.java.net/
All the code is gplv2 so I doubt we'd have any issues using it.

Java 11 is supported on openjdk and there are beta builds of Java 12.... far are the days where openjdk was 2-3 versions behind the current api level

On Wed., Oct. 10, 2018, 6:42 p.m. John Whelan, <[hidden email]> wrote:
 >What about openjdk?

 From the openjdk website for windows 10 "We're counting down to the