Is metric or imperial units system used for max weight signs in UK?

Is metric or imperial units system used for max weight signs in UK?

Mateusz Konieczny-3
According to information that I found UK switched to metric system,
at least as far as max weight signs go - with exception of Guernsey that use hundredweight
as a unit.

Is this correct? Are there still traffic signs using pounds as an unit?

I am asking as I am during implementing https://github.com/westnordost/StreetComplete/issues/361

Re: Is metric or imperial units system used for max weight signs in UK?

Lester Caine
On 20/06/2019 16:49, Mateusz Konieczny wrote:
> According to information that I found UK switched to metric system,
> at least as far as max weight signs go - with exception of Guernsey that
> use hundredweight
> as a unit.
>
> Is this correct? Are there still traffic signs using pounds as an unit?

I'm fairly sure that weight limit signs are always in tonnes and have a
't' after the weight figure. The regulations certainly refer to 7.5
tonnes as a base for weight restriction for structural reasons and
vehicle plated limits are in tonnes.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL

Re: Is metric or imperial units system used for max weight signs in UK?

Jez Nicholson
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2016/362/made is the most official record i've found so far. There are some nice tables half way down. Metric tonnes maximum gross weight.

I believe that there may be a very small number of old signs still in existence https://goo.gl/maps/geDNYUanRHsUdzv76 but they should be rare.

On Thu, Jun 20, 2019 at 5:15 PM Lester Caine <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 20/06/2019 16:49, Mateusz Konieczny wrote:
> According to information that I found UK switched to metric system,
> at least as far as max weight signs go - with exception of Guernsey that
> use hundredweight
> as a unit.
>
> Is this correct? Are there still traffic signs using pounds as an unit?

I'm fairly sure that weight limit signs are always in tonnes and have a
't' after the weight figure. The regulations certainly refer to 7.5
tonnes as a base for weight restriction for structural reasons and
vehicle plated limits are in tonnes.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL

Re: Is metric or imperial units system used for max weight signs in UK?

sk53.osm
A couple of things:
  • Guernsey, Jersey & other Channel Islands are not part of the United Kingdom, or for many purposes the EU, so their laws are their own concern. (Confusingly they have both ISO country codes & ISO region codes as part of GB : depending on your usage you may wish to treat them as UK or independent)
  • ISO units have been used for restriction signage for a long time (as for maxheight, but there dual signage in feet & inches continues). As the metric tonne is close to the imperial ton I presume that confusion was not a significant issue. Most widespread limits are 3.5t, 7.5t (e.g., in Leicestershire to discourage goods vehicles from residential & minor roads), and various limits on bridges for safety/avoiding maintenance issues.
Jerry