Quantcast

Is there a problem with the standard tile rendering

Is there a problem with the standard tile rendering

Ian Caldwell
Two days ago I add some buildings at https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/52.09396/-2.33114 and they have yet to appear on the standard tiles. They are on the Humanitarian tiles.

I thought it might be a caching problem but I have tried it on different browsers, application, machines and networks.

Ian

Re: Is there a problem with the standard tile rendering

Ed Loach-2

I /dirty ‘d a couple of tiles (at z19 and z18) and they seem to have rendered OK.

Ed

I thought it might be a caching problem but I have tried it on different browsers, application, machines and networks.

Ian

Re: Is there a problem with the standard tile rendering

Paul Berry
Hi Ian,

Another tip if you want to double-check if changes have rendered on the Standard layer is to go to Share > Image > Set custom dimensions and select the area you've recently updated, then click [Download]. This will force a render so as to create the image file for download. (Images are always taken from the Standard layer.)

Regards,
Paul

On 1 March 2017 at 10:11, Ed Loach <[hidden email]> wrote:

I /dirty ‘d a couple of tiles (at z19 and z18) and they seem to have rendered OK.

Ed

I thought it might be a caching problem but I have tried it on different browsers, application, machines and networks.

Ian

Re: Is there a problem with the standard tile rendering

Dave F
Forcing it to the top of the stack works, but isn't really practical.

There is definitely a longer delay than previous. Rendering times appear to vary wildly (for a while It used to refresh within 30 minutes!).
What's quite strange is my recent edits start to update with alternate tiles in a chequerboard pattern, but then mysteriously reset & don't refresh for a day or so.

 DaveF

On 01/03/2017 10:11, Ed Loach wrote:

I /dirty ‘d a couple of tiles (at z19 and z18) and they seem to have rendered OK.

Ed

I thought it might be a caching problem but I have tried it on different browsers, application, machines and networks.

Ian

Avast logo

Re: Is there a problem with the standard tile rendering

Ian Caldwell
Just another experiment on an edit I did yesterday (and corrected today) at level 18.

Did a share-download and the download was with the edits. A cache refresh (Ctrl refresh in Chrome) still showed the old tiles

did some cache refreshes  and after about 20 minutes one of the two tiles had updated.

As I was write this email did another cache refresh and it went back to the old tiles!

Something funny is happening with the tile caching.

Just did another refresh and the other tile is new but the one that was new is still old!

A refresh using OruxMaps should both old.

The location of this experiment is https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/52.17178/-2.29765

Ian

On 1 March 2017 at 10:50, Dave F <[hidden email]> wrote:
Forcing it to the top of the stack works, but isn't really practical.

There is definitely a longer delay than previous. Rendering times appear to vary wildly (for a while It used to refresh within 30 minutes!).
What's quite strange is my recent edits start to update with alternate tiles in a chequerboard pattern, but then mysteriously reset & don't refresh for a day or so.

 DaveF

On 01/03/2017 10:11, Ed Loach wrote:

I /dirty ‘d a couple of tiles (at z19 and z18) and they seem to have rendered OK.

Ed

I thought it might be a caching problem but I have tried it on different browsers, application, machines and networks.

Ian

Avast logo

Re: Is there a problem with the standard tile rendering

Paul Berry
The time taken for a new tile to appear has always been proportional to the information density of the tile and zoom level, in my experience. The more map data, the longer it takes. I've seen city blocks not refresh for a week, and it can then sometimes come through checkerboarded, whereas rural areas can often be almost instant.

If you think there's definitely a problem, it might be worth a look on the Help forum to see if there's a known issue. There's quite a few questions about tiles, rending, etc: https://help.openstreetmap.org/tags/tiles

Regards,
Paul

On 1 March 2017 at 11:57, Ian Caldwell <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Edward Catmur
Nah, there's definitely something else going on. If I look at https://b.tile.openstreetmap.org/19/261975/174355.png (last rendered at Mon Feb 27 08:55:42 2017 according to /status), then when it's served via saphira.openstreetmap.org:3128 I get the old tile, with etag "6463a418be94b7515745cdb9ed2071d3" but when it's served via ridgeback.openstreetmap.org:3128 I get the new tile, etag "038cdf917e46ae930f63678d8652b627".

One way to get the new tile (from ridgeback) appears to be to force refresh on another zoom level to clear cache, then zoom in with mousewheel (so that the request gets issued via js, I guess). I'll stop playing with it now to avoid adding load, but I'd guess that maybe saphira needs its cache cleaning out a bit?

Cheers, Ed