Is uDig capable of handling of versioned databases within PostGIS/PostgreSQL-stack?

Is uDig capable of handling of versioned databases within PostGIS/PostgreSQL-stack?

Dominik Wiedner
Hi there,

Currently I'm working on my master thesis regarding the topic
of crisis management. During my research I came across the idea of
versioned databases.
Since I am a total newbie to uDig I'd really like to know if it is
capable of handling this type of databases and how the different
versions can be displayed. If not are there any possibilities to
implement this capability?

Regards,
Dominik

Re: Is uDig capable of handling of versioned databases within PostGIS/PostgreSQL-stack?

Jody Garnett-2
I just recently completed a project using uDig and the versioned postgis datastore from the GeoTools project. It is actually the reason why uDig can now connect to any GeoTools datastore.

The versioned postgis datastore depends on a couple of record keeping tables in order to track changes to data.
- http://docs.codehaus.org/display/GEOTOOLS/Versioning+Postgis
- http://geoserver.org/display/GEOS/Versioning+WFS

The second link provides a good summary of different approaches to versioning.

Oracle enterprise offers (similar technologies called long term transaction support and Flashpoint?). Both of these are tightly integrated into Oracle and are more transparent to applications using the database.

It is actually good timing to volunteer as the versioned postgis datastore is working great; but represents a first generation JDBC datastore.
It really could use an update to the much cleaner design built around prepared statements.
- http://geotoolsnews.blogspot.com/2009/07/jdbc-next-generation.html

So in a perfect world a volunteer could:
- migrate versioned postgis to jdbc2 design
- review the api required to support versioning and query of data history and produce a second implementation backed on to oracle technologies

Cheers,
Jody

Jody Garnett schrieb:

> I just recently completed a project using uDig and the versioned postgis datastore from the GeoTools project. It is actually the reason why uDig can now connect to any GeoTools datastore.
>
> The versioned postgis datastore depends on a couple of record keeping tables in order to track changes to data.
> - http://docs.codehaus.org/display/GEOTOOLS/Versioning+Postgis
> - http://geoserver.org/display/GEOS/Versioning+WFS
>
> The second link provides a good summary of different approaches to versioning.
>
> Oracle enterprise offers (similar technologies called long term transaction support and Flashpoint?). Both of these are tightly integrated into Oracle and are more transparent to applications using the database.
>
> It is actually good timing to volunteer as the versioned postgis datastore is working great; but represents a first generation JDBC datastore.
> It really could use an update to the much cleaner design built around prepared statements.
> - http://geotoolsnews.blogspot.com/2009/07/jdbc-next-generation.html
>
> So in a perfect world a volunteer could:
> - migrate versioned postgis to jdbc2 design
> - review the api required to support versioning and query of data history and produce a second implementation backed on to oracle technologies
>
> Cheers,
> Jody
>
> On 20/07/2010, at 10:44 PM, Dominik Wiedner wrote:
>

>> Hi there,
>>
>> Currently I'm working on my master thesis regarding the topic
>> of crisis management. During my research I came across the idea of versioned databases.
>> Since I am a total newbie to uDig I'd really like to know if it is capable of handling this type of databases and how the different versions can be displayed. If not are there any possibilities to implement this capability?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Dominik

Hi Jody,

I took a look at first two links, but still I could'nt figure out what
has to be done make a PostGIS-Database versioned. I was able to find a
the versioned data store connector within uDig and was also able to
partly connect to my database, because some tables where created, which
are mentioned in the first link you supplied.

Could you please help me with a documentation of the precaution you have
taken?

Regards,
Dominik

Re: Is uDig capable of handling of versioned databases within PostGIS/PostgreSQL-stack?

Jody Garnett-2
I was not the developer working on that section so I am not sure on the details. The links I provided do go through to some design docs; other then that it may be time to hit the testcases and code.

I was under the impression you could setup PostGIS like normal; and as long as you included the required columns individual tables would be versioned.

Here is a link to another project done with it:
- http://opengeo.org/publications/landgate/

Jody

On 23/07/2010, at 5:21 AM, Dominik Wiedner wrote:

> Jody Garnett schrieb:
>> I just recently completed a project using uDig and the versioned postgis datastore from the GeoTools project. It is actually the reason why uDig can now connect to any GeoTools datastore.
>>
>> The versioned postgis datastore depends on a couple of record keeping tables in order to track changes to data.
>> - http://docs.codehaus.org/display/GEOTOOLS/Versioning+Postgis
>> - http://geoserver.org/display/GEOS/Versioning+WFS
>>
>> The second link provides a good summary of different approaches to versioning.
>>
>> Oracle enterprise offers (similar technologies called long term transaction support and Flashpoint?). Both of these are tightly integrated into Oracle and are more transparent to applications using the database.
>>
>> It is actually good timing to volunteer as the versioned postgis datastore is working great; but represents a first generation JDBC datastore.
>> It really could use an update to the much cleaner design built around prepared statements.
>> - http://geotoolsnews.blogspot.com/2009/07/jdbc-next-generation.html
>>
>> So in a perfect world a volunteer could:
>> - migrate versioned postgis to jdbc2 design
>> - review the api required to support versioning and query of data history and produce a second implementation backed on to oracle technologies
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Jody
>>
>> On 20/07/2010, at 10:44 PM, Dominik Wiedner wrote:
>>

>>> Hi there,
>>>
>>> Currently I'm working on my master thesis regarding the topic
>>> of crisis management. During my research I came across the idea of versioned databases.
>>> Since I am a total newbie to uDig I'd really like to know if it is capable of handling this type of databases and how the different versions can be displayed. If not are there any possibilities to implement this capability?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Dominik