Is udig the right thing for me?

Wildemeersch Koen

Hi all,

I’m new to open source GIS and the seemingly unlimited number of open source alternatives online.

Here goes my question:

In the near future we will start building a post processor that should be able to read netcdf files, as well as xls, txt and csv.

The objective is to:

1)       Display the results and the modelling boundary conditions. For example: load the bathymetry and plot the flow velocity vectors, make a contour plot of the bathymetry, etc… Editing/removing is not part of the objective.

2)       Next to that, charts should be plotted as well( For this I would use JFreeChart).

3)       Generate layouts for printing.

From what I found on the internet I’m not sure if the netcdf import is now included in the last release? Is this the case? If so, are there any limitations? Size and Dimension wise?

I’m pretty sure Udig can do the simple (and complex) things that are required for the post processing. However If there would be a better alternative, please let me know as well. For example I’m not sure if I really need all the functionality from Udig and could just go with GeoTools instead?

All ideas, help and comments are very much appreciated!

Thank you very much for your answer(s) and time,

Yours sincerely,

Koen Wildemeersch | Adviseur Water

Antea Group

+32 (0)9 261 63 50 | +32 (0)477 70 80 36

[hidden email]

www.anteagroup.be

This e-mail is personal. For our full disclaimer, please visit http://www.anteagroup.com/confidentiality.

Re: Is udig the right thing for me?

Mauricio Pazos-2
On Tuesday, August 07, 2012 12:35:23 PM Wildemeersch Koen wrote:
> From what I found on the internet I'm not sure if the netcdf import is now
> included in the last release? Is this the case? If so, are there any
> limitations? Size and Dimension wise?
Hi some time ago I was analyzing this issue, in the context of weather desktop
http://udig.refractions.net/confluence/display/COM/Data+Weather+Analysis+and+Forecast

Right now, udig platform doesn't include netcdf but udig-jgrass project made
an interesting progress in this direction.

http://jgrasstechtips.blogspot.com.es/2010/01/netcdf-in-jgrass-non-spatial-
part.html

cheers

--
Mauricio Pazos

Re: Is udig the right thing for me?

Andrea Antonello
Hi Mauricio,

>> From what I found on the internet I'm not sure if the netcdf import is now
>> included in the last release? Is this the case? If so, are there any
>> limitations? Size and Dimension wise?
> Hi some time ago I was analyzing this issue, in the context of weather desktop
> http://udig.refractions.net/confluence/display/COM/Data+Weather+Analysis+and+Forecast
>
> Right now, udig platform doesn't include netcdf but udig-jgrass project made
> an interesting progress in this direction.
>
> http://jgrasstechtips.blogspot.com.es/2010/01/netcdf-in-jgrass-non-spatial-
> part.html

the last thing I remember regarding netcdf support is that you
reviewed the plugins to work with the upgraded geotools. Am I right in
this?

Andrea

On Friday, August 24, 2012 09:40:46 AM andrea antonello wrote:
> the last thing I remember regarding netcdf support is that you
> reviewed the plugins to work with the upgraded geotools. Am I right in
> this?
>
> Andrea
Hi, actualy right now I don't remember any upgraded of netcdf. I only made
some changes to integrate netcdf with udig 1.2.x sdk.

cheers
--
Mauricio Pazos