JOSM and lack of memory

Bob Hawkins
I created a topic here https://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?pid=672431#p672431 almost a year ago, regarding sudden lack of memory.
User Klumbumbus pointed me, helpfully, to josm.jnlp, which, the heap size having been edited, solved the problem.  I discovered, a month ago, josm.jnlp would not open.  Klumbumbus suggested downloading the current jnlp file from the josm website, but this did not help.  It did not matter too much at the time because josm.jar seemed to be working satisfactorily.  Trying to work with it yesterday, however, was painful: Use of Bing aerial imagery causes any actions to be so slow that I have to delete it each time I wish to carry out an edit.  This is unacceptable in the longer term.
Klumbumbus wrote, “(Also note that since Java 11 jnlp files are not working anymore at all since oracle removed this feature.)”, which I do not understand.
I cannot be the sole JOSM user experiencing this frustration.  I wonder, therefore, what other solution exists?
With regards
Bob Hawkins

---

Re: JOSM and lack of memory

Vincent Privat
Can you please share the first three blocks of your status report ? (Help
-> Show Status Report)