JOSM development in the last year

Dirk Stöcker
Hello,

another year is done. To satisfy curiosity I'll give some stats about what
we were doing last year.

JOSM is still a 100% volunteer project. Server is sponsored by FOSSGIS,
otherwise no money flows (thought I can't speak for the patch submitters,
but I'm sure none is working full-time for JOSM :-)

I talked to people at conferences and some wondered about that fact: They
assumed JOSM consists of a group of at least 5 paid workers.

JOSM Server-Stats:
- Incoming IP-Traffic 13TB/year, outgoing IP-Traffic 14TB/year (together that is a constant 7MBit/s :-)
- Wiki/ticket submissions 350.000/year with a SPAM quota of 97%
- About 50 SPAM slipping through per year and need manual fixing (usually they are also manual entered)
- That leaves about 10.000 valid wiki/ticket submissions a year!
- 13 million page views and 29 million page impressions (majority of bots and also JOSM filtered out)
- Server is using about 500GB harddisk space
- New tickets: 1300/year (count of new and closed tickets last year approx. equal)
- 1000 SVN revisions of JOSM core
- I'm not aware of major troubles this year, server runs smoothly (uptime is 312 days BTW :-).

As you can see by these numbers JOSM isn't a small hobby project (for some
time now). Ohlooh estimates costs to about 190 man-years. A lot of
contribution goes into it.

Some info based on the statistics we gather via the JOSM requests to the
JOSM server (recent stats, vary always by a few %):
- Mainly used with Java 8 (72%), Java 11 (16%) and Java 12 (8%)
- 99% IPv4 and only 1% IPv4 users (web-page has higher IPv6 ratio)
- 54% Windows, 37% Linux, 9% MacOS (Linux numbers are going up...)
- 46% English, 17% German, 7% French, 6% Russian, 5% British, 3% Polish users based on the choosen GUI language.
- Majority of users using tested version, approx 70% using one of the last 3 (i.e. version of October to December)

Thanks to all the people contributing to JOSM in one of the many ways
possible. Major thanks to my co-admin Vincent who does most of the work
regarding the ticket handling. Special thanks to translators who come by
and simply translate a lot.

A note to some people: Be more relaxed.

Happy new year to everybody out there
http://www.dstoecker.eu/ (PGP key available)

Re: JOSM development in the last year

Vincent Privat
I'm surprised by the Windows/Linux ratio.
I always noticed a quite stable ratio around 70% Windows, 20% Linux, 10%
Mac (+/- 5% margin).
Isn't just that more Linux people used JOSM during the holidays than
Windows people? Such an increase looks strange otherwise.

Le jeu. 2 janv. 2020 à 00:45, Dirk Stöcker <[hidden email]> a
écrit :

> Hello,
>
> another year is done. To satisfy curiosity I'll give some stats about what
> we were doing last year.
>
> JOSM is still a 100% volunteer project. Server is sponsored by FOSSGIS,
> otherwise no money flows (thought I can't speak for the patch submitters,
> but I'm sure none is working full-time for JOSM :-)
>
> I talked to people at conferences and some wondered about that fact: They
> assumed JOSM consists of a group of at least 5 paid workers.
>
> JOSM Server-Stats:
> - Incoming IP-Traffic 13TB/year, outgoing IP-Traffic 14TB/year (together
> that is a constant 7MBit/s :-)
> - Wiki/ticket submissions 350.000/year with a SPAM quota of 97%
> - About 50 SPAM slipping through per year and need manual fixing (usually
> they are also manual entered)
> - That leaves about 10.000 valid wiki/ticket submissions a year!
> - 13 million page views and 29 million page impressions (majority of bots
> and also JOSM filtered out)
> - Server is using about 500GB harddisk space
> - New tickets: 1300/year (count of new and closed tickets last year
> approx. equal)
> - 1000 SVN revisions of JOSM core
> - I'm not aware of major troubles this year, server runs smoothly (uptime
> is 312 days BTW :-).
>
> As you can see by these numbers JOSM isn't a small hobby project (for some
> time now). Ohlooh estimates costs to about 190 man-years. A lot of
> contribution goes into it.
>
> Some info based on the statistics we gather via the JOSM requests to the
> JOSM server (recent stats, vary always by a few %):
> - Mainly used with Java 8 (72%), Java 11 (16%) and Java 12 (8%)
> - 99% IPv4 and only 1% IPv4 users (web-page has higher IPv6 ratio)
> - 54% Windows, 37% Linux, 9% MacOS (Linux numbers are going up...)
> - 46% English, 17% German, 7% French, 6% Russian, 5% British, 3% Polish
> users based on the choosen GUI language.
> - Majority of users using tested version, approx 70% using one of the last
> 3 (i.e. version of October to December)
>
> Thanks to all the people contributing to JOSM in one of the many ways
> possible. Major thanks to my co-admin Vincent who does most of the work
> regarding the ticket handling. Special thanks to translators who come by
> and simply translate a lot.
>
> A note to some people: Be more relaxed.
>
> Happy new year to everybody out there
> --
> http://www.dstoecker.eu/ (PGP key available)

Re: JOSM development in the last year

Roland Olbricht

 >> - 54% Windows, 37% Linux, 9% MacOS (Linux numbers are going up...)

> I'm surprised by the Windows/Linux ratio.
> I always noticed a quite stable ratio around 70% Windows, 20% Linux, 10%
> Mac (+/- 5% margin).
> Isn't just that more Linux people used JOSM during the holidays than
> Windows people? Such an increase looks strange otherwise.

It might be Oracle's license conditions. In the corporate environment,
using the Oracle JRE requires a commercial license. Installing the JRE
of OpenJDK is possible and JOSM runs with it, but counter-intuitive in
multiple steps.

I myself have written instructions for my collegues how to install the
OpenJDK.

Given that Windows is in particular popular amongst companies and users
with limited tech competence, that new threshold might have scared off
users.

Best regards,
Roland