JOSM interface for Tagwatch, OSBugs etc.

JOSM interface for Tagwatch, OSBugs etc.

Frederik Ramm
Hi,

    we have a growing number of web applications that help mappers
pinpoint possible errors. If you are a JOSM user, getting from a
situation listed on a web page to actually editing the area in JOSM has
been a bit cumbersome in the past.

RemoteControl plugin to the rescue: With this plugin installed in JOSM,
your editor will listen for commands on a local TCP port (8111).
Commands take the form of HTTP GET requests. So a web application
wanting to offer easy editing in JOSM can now do something like this:

<a
href="http://localhost:8111/load_and_zoom?left=8.5&right=8.6&top=51.0&bottom=50.8">Edit
this area in JOSM</a>

and when the user clicks the link, his (already running) JOSM instance
will load the area in question. It is smart enough to know when not to
load an area because it's been loaded before, and it can also be
instructed to highlight individual objects in the downloaded area.

I'm sure there are many things that need improvement but it's a start
and I encourage you to give it a try. The plugin is available through
the usual channels and WILL ONLY WORK WITH JOSM BUILDS FROM 05 AUG OR
LATER. There's minimalist documentation here:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/JOSM/Plugins/RemoteControl

And the source is in SVN of course.

Bye
Frederik

Re: JOSM interface for Tagwatch, OSBugs etc.

Stefan Neufeind-4
Frederik Ramm wrote:

> Hi,
>
>     we have a growing number of web applications that help mappers
> pinpoint possible errors. If you are a JOSM user, getting from a
> situation listed on a web page to actually editing the area in JOSM has
> been a bit cumbersome in the past.
>
> RemoteControl plugin to the rescue: With this plugin installed in JOSM,
> your editor will listen for commands on a local TCP port (8111).
> Commands take the form of HTTP GET requests. So a web application
> wanting to offer easy editing in JOSM can now do something like this:
>
> <a
> href="http://localhost:8111/load_and_zoom?left=8.5&right=8.6&top=51.0&bottom=50.8">Edit
> this area in JOSM</a>
>
> and when the user clicks the link, his (already running) JOSM instance
> will load the area in question. It is smart enough to know when not to
> load an area because it's been loaded before, and it can also be
> instructed to highlight individual objects in the downloaded area.
>
> I'm sure there are many things that need improvement but it's a start
> and I encourage you to give it a try. The plugin is available through
> the usual channels and WILL ONLY WORK WITH JOSM BUILDS FROM 05 AUG OR
> LATER. There's minimalist documentation here:
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/JOSM/Plugins/RemoteControl
>
> And the source is in SVN of course.

Hi Frederik,

would you be able to please include a possibility to download data from
osmxapi using tagwatch? Currently links from tagwatch (e.g. for Europe)
point to a download for an osm-file which you can then manually load
into JOSM. However such a link would allow to click on a mis-spelled tag
you find in tagwatch and instantly correct+upload it. (e.g. I've lately
found "namee" which actually meant "name" in the list etc.)

Regards,
  Stefan

Re: JOSM interface for Tagwatch, OSBugs etc.

Frederik Ramm
Hi,

> would you be able to please include a possibility to download data from
> osmxapi using tagwatch? Currently links from tagwatch (e.g. for Europe)
> point to a download for an osm-file which you can then manually load
> into JOSM. However such a link would allow to click on a mis-spelled tag
> you find in tagwatch and instantly correct+upload it. (e.g. I've lately
> found "namee" which actually meant "name" in the list etc.)

Well the tagwatch script would either have to be changed to emit
"localhost:8111" links, or you would have to make a little Greasemonkey
script that rewrites them. JOSM doesn't come into the picture at that
point; JOSM does not see these links unless they actually point to the
localhost port.

Do the tagwatch links actually contain a bounding box, or is it just an
OsmXAPI link that contains keys/values? I would be a bit unhappy about
downloading only selected objects from OsmXAPI because you would never
know what was around them, so if you e.g. delete a node you would not
see if it was perhaps used by something else etc., so a bounding box
download would be very much preferred...

Bye
Frederik

Re: JOSM interface for Tagwatch, OSBugs etc.

Raphael Studer
On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 5:09 PM, Frederik Ramm <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> would you be able to please include a possibility to download data from
>> osmxapi using tagwatch? Currently links from tagwatch (e.g. for Europe)
>> point to a download for an osm-file which you can then manually load
>> into JOSM. However such a link would allow to click on a mis-spelled tag
>> you find in tagwatch and instantly correct+upload it. (e.g. I've lately
>> found "namee" which actually meant "name" in the list etc.)
>
> Well the tagwatch script would either have to be changed to emit
> "localhost:8111" links, or you would have to make a little Greasemonkey
> script that rewrites them. JOSM doesn't come into the picture at that
> point; JOSM does not see these links unless they actually point to the
> localhost port.
>
> Do the tagwatch links actually contain a bounding box, or is it just an
> OsmXAPI link that contains keys/values? I would be a bit unhappy about
> downloading only selected objects from OsmXAPI because you would never
> know what was around them, so if you e.g. delete a node you would not
> see if it was perhaps used by something else etc., so a bounding box
> download would be very much preferred...

The tagwacht links contains only key/values. If this is just a typo,
this is no problem. Otherwise I just download the surounding area with
josm after opening the osm file downloaded from tagwatch via xapi.

Raphael

Raphael Studer wrote:
> The tagwacht links contains only key/values. If this is just a typo,
> this is no problem. Otherwise I just download the surounding area with
> josm after opening the osm file downloaded from tagwatch via xapi.

So ideally, the remote control plugin would have to support a command
that goes "download the following from OsmXAPI, determine its
coordinates, drop it, and then download a 'buffer area' around whatever
you got from there from the normal API". Which could also be more than
one download since the original XAPI query might return 10 results in
different countries, right?

Frederik Ramm wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> would you be able to please include a possibility to download data
>> from osmxapi using tagwatch? Currently links from tagwatch (e.g. for
>> Europe) point to a download for an osm-file which you can then
>> manually load into JOSM. However such a link would allow to click on a
>> mis-spelled tag you find in tagwatch and instantly correct+upload it.
>> (e.g. I've lately found "namee" which actually meant "name" in the
>> list etc.)
>
> Well the tagwatch script would either have to be changed to emit
> "localhost:8111" links, or you would have to make a little Greasemonkey
> script that rewrites them. JOSM doesn't come into the picture at that
> point; JOSM does not see these links unless they actually point to the
> localhost port.
>
> Do the tagwatch links actually contain a bounding box, or is it just an
> OsmXAPI link that contains keys/values? I would be a bit unhappy about
> downloading only selected objects from OsmXAPI because you would never
> know what was around them, so if you e.g. delete a node you would not
> see if it was perhaps used by something else etc., so a bounding box
> download would be very much preferred...

Hi,

what I did use to "browse" used tages is
http://tagwatch.stoecker.eu/Europe/En/tags.html
which points to e.g.
http://tagwatch.stoecker.eu/*%5BTankstelle=*%5D
(fetch everything with key "Tankstelle") or so which afaik is a redirect
to osmxapi then. No bounding-box. Where it's just a typo (e.g.
"nameeeeeeeeee" instead of "name" I correct them right away. In other
cases I zoom into the various regions where object appear in JOSM and
select that part to download everything for the current zoom-boundingbox.

So what would be needed would imho basically be a possibility in your
plugin to also pass those querys to OSMXAPI (without giving a
bounding-box!). We could then either add another link to tagwatch or, as
you said, use a Greasemonkey-script, which is also fine with me. But
that would save from downloading multiple .osm-files and opening them in
JOSM one by one.

Regards,
  Stefan

Re: JOSM interface for Tagwatch, OSBugs etc.

Dirk Stöcker
On Tue, 5 Aug 2008, Frederik Ramm wrote:

>> The tagwacht links contains only key/values. If this is just a typo,
>> this is no problem. Otherwise I just download the surounding area with
>> josm after opening the osm file downloaded from tagwatch via xapi.
>
> So ideally, the remote control plugin would have to support a command
> that goes "download the following from OsmXAPI, determine its
> coordinates, drop it, and then download a 'buffer area' around whatever
> you got from there from the normal API". Which could also be more than
> one download since the original XAPI query might return 10 results in
> different countries, right?

Actually for fixing typos you don't need to load the surrounding area. So
mainly the requirement would be that the JOSM download interface also
supports OSMXAPI-style calls.

Switching tagwatch.stoecker.eu to redirect to a local URL instead of the
OSMXAPI URL shouldn't be the main problem. Don't know if the browsers will
make problems here. We will see.

Ciao
--
http://www.dstoecker.eu/ (PGP key available)

Re: JOSM interface for Tagwatch, OSBugs etc.

Gervase Markham-4
Frederik Ramm wrote:
> and when the user clicks the link, his (already running) JOSM instance
> will load the area in question. It is smart enough to know when not to
> load an area because it's been loaded before, and it can also be
> instructed to highlight individual objects in the downloaded area.

Cool! Feature request: make it possible to pass in a list of
coordinates, and have JOSM display a "Next" button which moves to the
next one. This would allow e.g. Tagwatch to have a single link for the
eight occurrences of "highway=mtorway", which JOSM would then take you
through.

(It's on my ToDo list to file a similar request for Potlatch.)

Gerv

Re: [OSM-dev] JOSM interface for Tagwatch, OSBugs etc.

Frederik Ramm
Hi,

>> and when the user clicks the link, his (already running) JOSM instance
>> will load the area in question. It is smart enough to know when not to
>> load an area because it's been loaded before, and it can also be
>> instructed to highlight individual objects in the downloaded area.
>
> Cool! Feature request: make it possible to pass in a list of
> coordinates, and have JOSM display a "Next" button which moves to the
> next one. This would allow e.g. Tagwatch to have a single link for the
> eight occurrences of "highway=mtorway", which JOSM would then take you
> through.

Difficulty is, Tagwatch doesn't even know or care *where* those
occurences are. It just generates OSMXapi links "find all occurrences of
key=value" and OSMXapi then supplies location (for all x occurences in
one go). So what needs to be done is put an option in JOSM to talk to
OSMXapi, then make *this* remote-controllable so that Tagwatch could
have a link "instruct JOSM to load these from Tagwatch".

Bye
Frederik