Java frameworks for GUI and graph representation

Java frameworks for GUI and graph representation

Philipp Kraus
Hello,

I'm new with OSM structures. I need a Java based framework (for a local client) which can get OSM street data into a graph structure. I would like to create a short example for students. My first idea is / was to use a framework like http://captaincasa.blogspot.de/2014/01/javafx-and-osm-openstreetmap.html or http://blog.naxos-software.com/index.php?/archives/92-TracknMash-Openstreetmap-Karten-in-JavaSwing-mit-JXMapViewer.html to create a visualization of the OSM data. But at next I need a graph representation of OSM street data, I have found http://graphhopper.com/

My requirements for the frameworks are:
I need some 2D visualization in Java and I need a (multi)graph representation of the street data, with some highlighting the graph edges in the 2D map. The data should be read online from OSM without any external export / converting tools, so I would like to push 2 pairs of latitude & longitude coordinates to the library I get the data back from OSM. The framework must be native Java and a Maven repository is a nice feature.

Can anybody help me please to choose the correct framework?

Thanks

Phil

Re: Java frameworks for GUI and graph representation

SomeoneElse
Philipp Kraus wrote:

Can anybody help me please to choose the correct framework?

You might be better off asking on the "dev" list - "newbies" is more designed for new OSM mappers than people looking for OSM data representations and visualisations.  Or perhaps ask on #osm-dev on IRC.

Off the top of my head I'm not aware of anything that does what you want out of the box.  Occasionally similar questions get asked on the "help" site and the answer is normally "here's how you might start writing one" rather than "here's something you can adapt".

Cheers,

Andy

Re: Java frameworks for GUI and graph representation

Pieren
On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 10:22 AM, SomeoneElse
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> You might be better off asking on the "dev" list - "newbies" is more
> designed for new OSM mappers than people looking for OSM data
> representations and visualisations.  Or perhaps ask on #osm-dev on IRC.

+1
And maybe cross-post on the global list [hidden email] where
you might touch another community not necessarily developing such
framework but knowing one of them.

Pieren

Re: Java frameworks for GUI and graph representation

Dan S

> On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 10:22 AM, SomeoneElse
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> You might be better off asking on the "dev" list - "newbies" is more
>> designed for new OSM mappers than people looking for OSM data
>> representations and visualisations.  Or perhaps ask on #osm-dev on IRC.
>
> +1
> And maybe cross-post on the global list [hidden email] where
> you might touch another community not necessarily developing such
> framework but knowing one of them.

Hi all,

I'd just like to mention that there are a lot of questions asked on
StackOverflow about these kinds of topic, so you may find a good
answer there, because that website has a large community of
programmers: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/openstreetmap

(There's also OSM's own version http://help.openstreetmap.org/ which
may have some programming Q&A in there too)

Best
Dan