Just Joined List

TrackingCentral
Hi

I am wanting to be able to return the current road my passing a http request to the api endpoint passing the co ordinates of the users location with each request.

Just wondering if this function already exist and it is a matter of sending the http request to the api each time ???

Basically I have gps tracking devices that send location data to my server every 3 second and want the road speed of their location determined by the api and returned each time I send the http request to the api endpoint.

Can you also advise the variable name that is returned that will hold the road speed.

Claude Raiola

TrackingCentral Pty Ltd
61-414 228 948

Re: Just Joined List

Jo-2
This definitely is something you should  NOT do on the main API. That API is for people editing and improving the map, not for using the data.

Download an extract for your region and set up a server with it. Then figure out how to go about finding the nearest way to your GPS position (most likely using PostGIS).

Polyglot

On Tue, Apr 16, 2019 at 3:09 PM TrackingCentral <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi

I am wanting to be able to return the current road my passing a http request to the api endpoint passing the co ordinates of the users location with each request.

Just wondering if this function already exist and it is a matter of sending the http request to the api each time ???

Basically I have gps tracking devices that send location data to my server every 3 second and want the road speed of their location determined by the api and returned each time I send the http request to the api endpoint.

Can you also advise the variable name that is returned that will hold the road speed.

Claude Raiola

TrackingCentral Pty Ltd
61-414 228 948

Re: Just Joined List

ebel
This can be done with the Overpass API, not the OSM editing API

     way(around:25,LAT,LON)["maxspeed"];out;

This should give you all ways within 25 m of a point with the maxpseed
tag. Be warned though: Most of the main overpass servers do have access
limits, and building a business relying on things that can be shut off
without warning might not be a good idea.

On 16/04/2019 09:09, TrackingCentral wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am wanting to be able to return the current road my passing a http request to the api endpoint passing the co ordinates of the users location with each request.
>
> Just wondering if this function already exist and it is a matter of sending the http request to the api each time ???
>
> Basically I have gps tracking devices that send location data to my server every 3 second and want the road speed of their location determined by the api and returned each time I send the http request to the api endpoint.
>
> Can you also advise the variable name that is returned that will hold the road speed.
>
> Claude Raiola
>
> TrackingCentral Pty Ltd
> 61-414 228 948

Re: Just Joined List

Tom Hughes-3
I think that is underplaying things...

I don't speak for the overpass maintainers but I can't imagine
that hitting it every three seconds for every vehicle that you
are tracking is going to go down well - at least if you are
tracking any even vaguely significant number of vehicles.

If you are building a business on this and selling this to
people as a service then you really should be looking to run
your own overpass instance or something.

Tom

On 18/04/2019 12:41, Rory McCann wrote:

> This can be done with the Overpass API, not the OSM editing API
>
>      way(around:25,LAT,LON)["maxspeed"];out;
>
> This should give you all ways within 25 m of a point with the maxpseed
> tag. Be warned though: Most of the main overpass servers do have access
> limits, and building a business relying on things that can be shut off
> without warning might not be a good idea.
>
> On 16/04/2019 09:09, TrackingCentral wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I am wanting to be able to return the current road my passing a http
>> request to the api endpoint passing the co ordinates of the users
>> location with each request.
>>
>> Just wondering if this function already exist and it is a matter of
>> sending the http request to the api each time ???
>>
>> Basically I have gps tracking devices that send location data to my
>> server every 3 second and want the road speed of their location
>> determined by the api and returned each time I send the http request
>> to the api endpoint.
>>
>> Can you also advise the variable name that is returned that will hold
>> the road speed.
>>
>> Claude Raiola
>>
>> TrackingCentral Pty Ltd
>> 61-414 228 948

Tom Hughes ([hidden email])
http://compton.nu/

Re: Just Joined List

Peter-5
Hi Claude,

I would recommend a more sophisticated approach using map matching,
otherwise how could you be sure which of the many nearby roads at a
crossing is the one the vehicle drives through?

There are many services and open source software that implements this,
so I won't recommend just ours ;)

Regards
Peter

Am 18.04.19 um 13:41 schrieb Rory McCann:

> This can be done with the Overpass API, not the OSM editing API
>
>     way(around:25,LAT,LON)["maxspeed"];out;
>
> This should give you all ways within 25 m of a point with the maxpseed
> tag. Be warned though: Most of the main overpass servers do have
> access limits, and building a business relying on things that can be
> shut off without warning might not be a good idea.
>
> On 16/04/2019 09:09, TrackingCentral wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I am wanting to be able to return the current road my passing a http
>> request to the api endpoint passing the co ordinates of the users
>> location with each request.
>>
>> Just wondering if this function already exist and it is a matter of
>> sending the http request to the api each time ???
>>
>> Basically I have gps tracking devices that send location data to my
>> server every 3 second and want the road speed of their location
>> determined by the api and returned each time I send the http request
>> to the api endpoint.
>>
>> Can you also advise the variable name that is returned that will hold
>> the road speed.
>>
>> Claude Raiola
>>
>> TrackingCentral Pty Ltd
>> 61-414 228 948

GraphHopper.com - fast and flexible route planning

mmd

Re: Just Joined List

mmd
Am 18.04.19 um 13:41 schrieb Rory McCann:
> This can be done with the Overpass API, not the OSM editing API
>
>     way(around:25,LAT,LON)["maxspeed"];out;

That's pretty much what this app
https://github.com/plusCubed/velociraptor does. It seems to have gone
viral at some point, as they had to switch to their own Overpass
instance to handle the load.