Keeping SA roads up to date

Alex Sims
Hi,

I “dogfood” OpenStreetMap and use it in my GPS for directions. I was a bit surprised when I came across an almost two year old roundabout on a main road that wasn’t mapped. I’ve mapped it now at http://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/48106706#map=15/-35.5205/138.6359

This seems to be a problem that, as editors were not picking and mapping up this change. Maybe no editors travels this way, but still I was a bit embarrassed by the non-editors in the car.

I found a number of data sources with no hint of it such as aerial imagery or Strava cycling data. GPS tracks hints at it but I can’t be sure. I did find it in the Roads data set on data.sa.gov.au but not on “State Maintained Roads”.

As a suggestion, it looks as though we need some sort of comparison process for generations of “State Maintained Roads” to identify and validate changes. Another solution is to recruit more editors.

Your thoughts?

Alex

Re: Keeping SA roads up to date

Daniel O'Connor
Would be good to setup monthly run of https://github.com/q-bits/osm-scripts but I lack the ability to do it.

It might not detect roundabouts; but will pick out name differences and unknown roads. We got it down to under 300 at one point, I think.