Kenyan or African OSM community?

Daniel Westergren
Hi,

Being relatively new to mapping with OSM (having done quite a lot of mapping with Google Mapmaker, particularly in Kenya), I'm wondering if there is any group or community for African or even Kenyan mappers?

There are several elements that are special to mapping in African countries, like roads, huts, enclosures etc. and I'd like some feedback on how to map some of those.

Thanks,
Daniel Westergren

Re: Kenyan or African OSM community?

Mikel Maron
Hi Daniel

There's a growing community in Kenya, and several other groups of mappers in East Africa. Map Kibera is the most active in that part of the world. We've been talking about setting up a mailing list, but have not yet. There's also a lot of activity in West Africa right now through the this project http://hot.openstreetmap.org/projects/espace_osm_francophone_0#english_version. Other places as well.

The topic of tagging features specific to African context, good one. Actually really relevant right now, as Map Kibera does more work on sanitation mapping. Why don't we just have that discussion here on this list for now? Can you explain more what kinds of features you've been mapping, and how you've been tagging them? Are you doing remote mapping, or based in Kenya?

Perhaps we can start up a wiki page to capture the features and tags under discussion.

-Mikel

* Mikel Maron * +14152835207 @mikel s:mikelmaron

Re: Kenyan or African OSM community?

Harry Wood
During the Mali mapping work a wiki page was created:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/North_Africa_Tagging

Originally a 'Mali tagging' page was planned, but I suggested generalising more. I guess the process of spotting things in aerial imagery in rural North Africa will be very similar to east africa.

...but also pretty similar to south africa, and actually pretty similar to rural india. Not sure how to organise that actually. Maybe "subtropical" regions all have a lot in common. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Klimagürtel-der-erde.png

Aside from that scoping question, I'd say the page could be improved to be more like mapping cheatsheet with actual images for easy reference.

Harry
________________________________

> The topic of tagging features specific to African context, good one. Actually really relevant right now, as Map Kibera does more work on sanitation mapping. Why don't we just have that discussion here on this list for now? Can you explain more what kinds of features you've been mapping, and how you've been tagging them? Are you doing remote mapping, or based in Kenya?

>>There are several elements that are special to mapping in African countries, like roads, huts, enclosures etc. and I'd like some feedback on how to map some of those.

Re: Kenyan or African OSM community?

pierzen
The thinking behind this North Africa Tagging comes from our discussions while activating for Mali And Congo.

While working on this wiki page, I insisted about the importance for people from the north to think differently how to map subtropical countries. I think that it is essential to categorize roads by their socio-economic importance. The road surface condition should not take precedence over the importance of the road.

An other aspect is related to the infrastructures. We started to list important infrastructures like wells and water points. However, this needs to be more detailed.

This year, the USAID - HOT Cap-Haitien project, north of Haiti, gave the HOT Project team the opportunity to pursue this thinking and develop a Humanitarian Map style. I had the opportunity to work for this project in a "subtropical" context and observe the local reality while the rainy season was approaching and approaching. Our motorbike mapping teams then suffered the road conditions deteriorating rapidly. We also saw the importance to describe activities or infrastructures that are important to the local communities.   The piedestrian paths, the crafts and shops are essential to describe appropriately such towns.

The HOT mapcss style that Yohan Boniface and Will Skora are completing presently is focusing on such information and is very usefull to render it appropriately. The maps below talk by themselves.

Map of Limonade, north of Haiti http://hotosm.github.io/HDM-CartoCSS/#17/19.66845/-72.12412
Map for Kibera in Nairobi. http://hotosm.github.io/HDM-CartoCSS/#17/-1.31269/36.78819

Pierre

De : Harry Wood <[hidden email]>
À : Mikel Maron <[hidden email]>; Daniel Westergren <[hidden email]>; "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
Envoyé le : Jeudi 22 août 2013 17h03
Objet : Re: [HOT] Kenyan or African OSM community?

During the Mali mapping work a wiki page was created:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/North_Africa_Tagging

Originally a 'Mali tagging' page was planned, but I suggested generalising more. I guess the process of spotting things in aerial imagery in rural North Africa will be very similar to east africa.

...but also pretty similar to south africa, and actually pretty similar to rural india. Not sure how to organise that actually. Maybe "subtropical" regions all have a lot in common. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Klimagürtel-der-erde.png

Aside from that scoping question, I'd say the page could be improved to be more like mapping cheatsheet with actual images for easy reference.

Harry
________________________________

> The topic of tagging features specific to African context, good one. Actually really relevant right now, as Map Kibera does more work on sanitation mapping. Why don't we just have that discussion here on this list for now? Can you explain more what kinds of features you've been mapping, and how you've been tagging them? Are you doing remote mapping, or based in Kenya?

>>There are several elements that are special to mapping in African countries, like roads, huts, enclosures etc. and I'd like some feedback on how to map some of those.

Re: Kenyan or African OSM community?

Daniel Westergren
This is great! I haven't really been mapping much with OSM in Kenya/Africa yet (but more in Sweden, where I currently reside). I organised a Google MapUp in Nairobi last year to map Northern Kenya, my main area of interest: https://plus.google.com/u/0/events/ct2omi1k07uskp8sqc5mkqu7b1k

The North Africa tagging wiki page is a great start. Several of my questions are already answered there, like seasonal rivers, man-made water wells and residential areas in remote areas. And like Pierre Béland points out, better to categorize roads by their socio-economic importance. There is a wiki page detailing how to map Kenyan roads according to the official classifications: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_Kenya. Is there a way to tag roads to show that they require 4WD or that some areas are prone to flooding during rainy season? And what about "roads" in villages, which are used by 4WD cars although in a European country they probably would have been tagged like a path or track? This is the home village of my wife, for example: http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=16/1.9944/37.9157

I think it would be great with a tagging page for Africa or even more generally for "subtropical" regions. It would greatly help for new people like me to know what tags to use.

It seems like many of you are using satellite imagery as the main source for mapping? Since the Bing imagery isn't always updated frequently, are there other sources you normally use to make sure you actually map what is there now and not what was there a couple of years ago?

Looking forward to do more mapping in Kenya, both remotely now when I'm based in Sweden and through local knowledge and upcoming visits to Kenya.

/Daniel

De : Harry Wood <[hidden email]>
À : Mikel Maron <[hidden email]>; Daniel Westergren <[hidden email]>; "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
Envoyé le : Jeudi 22 août 2013 17h03

During the Mali mapping work a wiki page was created:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/North_Africa_Tagging

Originally a 'Mali tagging' page was planned, but I suggested generalising more. I guess the process of spotting things in aerial imagery in rural North Africa will be very similar to east africa.

...but also pretty similar to south africa, and actually pretty similar to rural india. Not sure how to organise that actually. Maybe "subtropical" regions all have a lot in common. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Klimagürtel-der-erde.png

Aside from that scoping question, I'd say the page could be improved to be more like mapping cheatsheet with actual images for easy reference.

Harry
________________________________

> The topic of tagging features specific to African context, good one. Actually really relevant right now, as Map Kibera does more work on sanitation mapping. Why don't we just have that discussion here on this list for now? Can you explain more what kinds of features you've been mapping, and how you've been tagging them? Are you doing remote mapping, or based in Kenya?

>>There are several elements that are special to mapping in African countries, like roads, huts, enclosures etc. and I'd like some feedback on how to map some of those.

Re: Kenyan or African OSM community?

Mikel Maron
I think it would be great with a tagging page for Africa or even more generally for "subtropical" regions

Agreed, we could build off the North Africa tagging page (either incorporate content there, or just rename the page). I'm not sure the best way to capture all of it with a name ... subtropics/tropics doesn't capture all areas which might have this kind of infrastructure, nor do all areas there have this kind of infrastructure (ie Florida vs N India). "Developing Infrastructure" might work? (Of course, any definition of developing is problematic...)

Is there a way to tag roads to show that they require 4WD or that some areas are prone to flooding during rainy season?

And what about "roads" in villages, which are used by 4WD cars although in a European country they probably would have been tagged like a path or track?

Still tag as a track, I think.

It seems like many of you are using satellite imagery as the main source for mapping? Since the Bing imagery isn't always updated frequently, are there other sources you normally use to make
> sure you actually map what is there now and not what was there a couple of years ago?

In OSM, we use both imagery from Bing, as well as on the ground survey. Other imagery sources come into play in a crisis. But in any case, the best source for up to date information is local knowledge and engaging people from that area. That's not always easy, but usually quite rewarding.

When are you next in Kenya?

Cheers

De : Harry Wood <[hidden email]>
À : Mikel Maron <[hidden email]>; Daniel Westergren <[hidden email]>; "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>

2013/8/23 Mikel Maron <[hidden email]>
I think it would be great with a tagging page for Africa or even more generally for "subtropical" regions

Agreed, we could build off the North Africa tagging page (either incorporate content there, or just rename the page). I'm not sure the best way to capture all of it with a name ... subtropics/tropics doesn't capture all areas which might have this kind of infrastructure, nor do all areas there have this kind of infrastructure (ie Florida vs N India). "Developing Infrastructure" might work? (Of course, any definition of developing is problematic...)

I'd suggest renaming the page to avoid confusion. Perhaps Africa to start with and extend it to whatever term is better to include countries traditionally referred to as "developing countries". Or why not even use that term, since it's well established, although criticized? Then mappers can find it more easily, possibly redirect from terms like "Africa", "South America" and "India" as well.

Also the Mali Highway page should be renamed to the name of its page: Highway Tag Africa, or similar.

Is there an established workflow for adding new recommendations on those wiki pages?

A couple of other questions that have come up relating tags in "developing countries":
  • How to tag a fence of dry bushes laid on the ground to protect from animals? Particularly in northern Kenya it's common to fence the enclosure where animals stay at night, as well as the entire enclosure for a family/families, that way. Hedge refers more to planted living bushes. Perhaps barrier=dry_bushes?
  • I'd also suggest to add the intermittent tag to the HOT presets for rivers and streams. Virtually all rivers and streams in northern Kenya are intermittent. Possibly combine the preset with the seasonal tag.
  • Lastly I'd suggest a consensus on when to use highway=track or highway=residential within villages. In small villages where the "road" is more of a track, only suitable for 4WD's, then it feels more logical using track even within residential areas. It makes it stand out from "real roads".

When are you next in Kenya?

I'll be in Kenya in August next year. But I'm also trying to engage those who helped mapping parts of northern Kenya with Google Mapmaker. Leonard Ouma, a former Google Mapmaker advocate in Kenya, has already introduced himself on this list and will engage his fellow mapper friends too.

This is addictive! :D

/Daniel

Re: Kenyan or African OSM community?

Mikel Maron
Is there an established workflow for adding new recommendations on those wiki pages?
Also the Mali Highway page should be renamed to the name of its page: Highway Tag Africa, or similar.

Nope, it's a wiki, just do it!

Looks like there's already a redirect from Mali Highway to Highway Tag Africa, so I think we're set for now. We can expand to other regions, rename the page, after more discussion in those areas.

I created this page to bring together all the developing country tagging issues and approaches.

On your questions:

How to tag a fence of dry bushes laid on the ground to protect from animals? Particularly in northern Kenya it's common to fence the enclosure where animals stay at night, as well as the
> entire enclosure for a family/families, that way. Hedge refers more to planted living bushes. Perhaps barrier=dry_bushes?

Yea, or maybe just barrier=dry_bush. Would be added to the "Linear Barriers" section.

> I'd also suggest to add the intermittent tag to the HOT presets for rivers and streams. Virtually all rivers and streams in northern Kenya are intermittent. Possibly combine the preset with the
> seasonal tag.

Makes sense, looks like there are a couple approaches in use.

Or if you really want to get detailed, conditional restrictions on access

For making a change in the HOT presets, fork the github repo, make the change we think works best, and make the pull request. Should be able to do all of that from within your web browser, let me know if I can help.

> Lastly I'd suggest a consensus on when to use highway=track or highway=residential within villages. In small villages where the "road" is more of a track, only suitable for 4WD's, then it
> feels more logical using track even within residential areas. It makes it stand out from "real roads".
I agree, highway=residential denotes something different. But then, how to differentiate highway=track, which might connect a great distance, between something within a village? Or do we even need to differentiate these two?

-Mikel

* Mikel Maron * +14152835207 @mikel s:mikelmaron

Re: Kenyan or African OSM community?

Daniel Westergren
I created this page to bring together all the developing country tagging issues and approaches.

Excellent. Good to have somewhere public to discuss issues.

Yea, or maybe just barrier=dry_bush. Would be added to the "Linear Barriers" section.

Ok, I can add it there with a photo example.

> I'd also suggest to add the intermittent tag to the HOT presets for rivers and streams. Virtually all rivers and streams in northern Kenya are intermittent. Possibly combine the preset with the
> seasonal tag.

Makes sense, looks like there are a couple approaches in use.

Yeah, now also discussed in another thread here.

For making a change in the HOT presets, fork the github repo, make the change we think works best, and make the pull request. Should be able to do all of that from within your web browser, let me know if I can help.

Ok, will try to add intermittent and seasonal, and possibly add some instructions based on the outcome of the other thread.

> Lastly I'd suggest a consensus on when to use highway=track or highway=residential within villages. In small villages where the "road" is more of a track, only suitable for 4WD's, then it
> feels more logical using track even within residential areas. It makes it stand out from "real roads".
I agree, highway=residential denotes something different. But then, how to differentiate highway=track, which might connect a great distance, between something within a village? Or do we even need to differentiate these two?

I don't think we really need to differentiate if a track is within a village or not. It's not always easy to know where the village begins and ends and a track is a track. And a track mainly for cars that connects one village to another should possibly be highway=unclassified, in combination with surface=unpaved or similar? Although the wiki says for UK: "UK: unsurfaced country roads ("green lanes") should be tagged as highway=track if they are unfit for standard motorcar usage but available to 4x4, bikes and foot usage."

More difficult might be to differentiate between a track and a path, although I suppose tracktype=<grade1-5> (and/or smoothness?) could be used to tell how good it is for vehicles. But in a small village even a path might be used by 4WD's...

Details perhaps, but interesting and somehow important nevertheless.

/Daniel

-Mikel

* Mikel Maron * <a href="tel:%2B14152835207" value="+14152835207" target="_blank">+14152835207 @mikel s:mikelmaron